Chief Freezing when Rotating Models in 3D Perspective View

KnotSquare

I have a new computer that should be the cat's meow for running Chief. It is falling short and I have fixed it once, but do not recall how. I believe it was a call to Chief Tech Support and may need to do that again. If anyone knows why this happens and how it can be corrected, please see my system setup, a new RTX GeForce 3080Ti with 12GB of onboard video RAM. I feel it should handle it and it did once corrected, at least for a while. NVidia had a recent update, so maybe some settings specific to Chief were reset to defaults. Unsure. If I figure it out I will reply to this myself so anyone else experiencing these difficulties can get past it with ease.

Unfortunately I have to say you are not the only one, I have both a 3080 and 3080Ti here and both have varying Issues in X13, not just 3D unfortunately,

and there is no "known fix" for it all, in fact it seems the March update brought back the Issue in Layout of Triangle ( lines ) appearing on Wall Surfaces,

and I also had a crash that corrupted the Plan and could no longer be read....

Just some from this week....

M.

Capturezxz.PNG

Capturennnn.JPG

Capturennnnn.JPG

Capture.kk.JPG

Capture.k.JPG

Capture.kkkkk.JPG

• Downvote 1

Mick,

When I purchased this new machine I nearly begged Dell to let me stay on Windows 11. Nope. So I am testing a new card, a new version of Chief and one of the guinea pigs of Windows 11. Joy, happy joy, joy.

This is an XPS 8950, next to me is an XPS 8940 I bought less than a year ago, but would not receive the new 3080Ti, so out came my wallet.

When Chief gets back to me on Monday, I will record my session and post it to my YouTube Channel. I am not the best video maker, and just started it earlier this month, but it is coming along nicely and my clients really enjoy seeing their projects being built. That is the main reason I started it so that they get to see what goes into a set of plans.

I use Chief in conjunction with AutoCAD LT, AutoCAD, ReCap and other software. I have been using AutoCAD since 1988 when it came on a single 3-1/2" floppy. I have only been using Chief since 2009, and very sparsely until this last year. It is an interesting combination.

Your welcome to check it out if you like: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3O1pwu_6bp6Rb8360aLCIg

I will also post here when I have answers to what is happening to me. It was fixed at one time and had not occurred again until yesterday when Dell Tech Support updated my NVidia driver.

Mark Farrar

Certified Professional Building Designer

Knot Square Design, LLC
www.knotsquare.us

1 hour ago, KnotSquare said:

I will also post here when I have answers to what is happening to me. It was fixed at one time and had not occurred again until yesterday when Dell Tech Support updated my NVidia driver.

I guess you meant you begged them to stay on Win10? your Sig makes it confusing?

Anyway, can you not Roll the Driver Dell Installed back Via Device Driver?  the Crashing in 3D Chief said was fixed in the latest Drivers on Win 11,

but on comment on Win 10 , I am trying different Drivers myself to see if I can find one the will work in CA , without issues, they all work in 3D games or in 3DMark > TimeSpy , which I downloaded to see if there was issues elsewhere other than Chief...nope.....all 3Dmark told me was my 3080Ti was in the 96% percentile for the 11700K CPU I have.

Thanks for the link....

and one for you....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/34172-real-time-ray-tracing-questionsproblemssolutions/?do=findComment&comment=267385

M.  

5 hours ago, KnotSquare said:

It was fixed at one time and had not occurred again until yesterday when Dell Tech Support updated my NVidia driver.

Any chance the Dell Tech updated the Dell Command Centre too? and perhaps the Nahimic Software?  CA has a known incompatibility with Nahimic...

For most people, camera problems are solved by updating their video card drivers.  In your case, it sounds like something changed on your system that is causing the problem.  Sometimes, rolling back to a slightly older driver can solve this problem, but not always. 

For some more detailed information about solving problems with camera views, you should review this tech article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html

If that does not help you solve the problems, then hopefully tech support will be able to help you on Monday.

2 hours ago, KnotSquare said:

With the wonderful help from Dell Technical support, they had me upload and install an old driver. For X13 and the RTX GeForce 3080Ti, you can go to

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/187304/en-us

for the proper driver.

that is actually the latest Driver from Nvidia , from March 22........ and I have tried it , and am currently trying some older ones , so if I find a flawless one I will post an update to my Nvidia Drivers Topic, I haven't found one so the Topic has not been updated lately, but I'll do it now.

image.thumb.png.b5da400f80b6a792d750e8bbb6d64d2a.png 

you could see if the option to Rollback to the one you had is available in Device Manager if you don't know it's number.

image.thumb.png.dfc4ef4b56708912865ade387caadf17.png

Mick.

6 minutes ago, KnotSquare said:

Mick,

I was actually point you to the one that I found that has no issues that I have found so far. Check out that link.

Mark

I have already tried it and I do unfortunately.

M.