Joining one project into another

stevenyhof

A few times I have had to put several projects into one file. Like I am drawing a pool house on one drawing and the residence on another drawing.

I would like to just make a block of sorts, or even a library object would work and paste it into the main drawing.

What I am doing now it just copy and paste, but the defaults in the one drawing including the main floor plane messes up everything in the structure I am pasting in.

Can I just group a structure with the roof and foundation?

Thank you,

Steve

two ways to do it- one is strip down the structure and make a symbol you place in the plan.

The other (one I use) is to use reference displays that work for floor plans and 3D views easily enough. Not so simple for elevations which can be done in layout.

Image on left shows plan view for garage with referenced plan in red for clarity you can change the reference layerset though, image on right is take in the garage plan with reference to the house with addition.

Note that there are ways to manipulate type of view in the 3D, better in X14. At time I use glass house and standard or vector with glass house for instance to show additions.

image.thumb.png.be09175077b339ad27021e3d0cad6722.png

I like the idea of a referenced plan. I will try that.
Also, when I selected only the walls and the roof it allowed me to make a symbol so that works well also for a quick idea of putting structures together.

Thank you again!

Keep in mind you can't 'move' a referenced plan. When using a referenced plan, the x/y coordinates remain in the same place. For a pool house or detached garage, I draw them in their own plan file and if I need to show them together in a model, I convert the smaller building to a symbol and place it in the larger plan file on its own layer. It's very simple and then I can keep both plans starting at 0,0 on the grid.

I never draw 2 buildings on the same plan file. Mostly because of the defualt / height settings, but also because I'm probably going to re-use the accessory building plan over and over.

I shouldn't say this out loud, but by doing this you can draw a 'new' detached garage plan to completion in about 5-10 minutes.

Just now, robdyck said:

Keep in mind you can't 'move' a referenced plan. When using a referenced plan, the x/y coordinates remain in the same place. For a pool house or detached garage, I draw them in their own plan file and if I need to show them together in a model, I convert the smaller building to a symbol and place it in the larger plan file on its own layer. It's very simple and then I can keep both plans starting at 0,0 on the grid.

I never draw 2 buildings on the same plan file. Mostly because of the defualt / height settings, but also because I'm probably going to re-use the accessory building plan over and over.

I shouldn't say this out loud, but by doing this you can draw a 'new' detached garage plan to completion in about 5-10 minutes.

Very good! Thank you

Now that I know I can select a number of objects (walls, roofs, openings, slabs, etc.) and still make a symbol that would be my preferred option.

Just now, stevenyhof said:

Very good! Thank you

Now that I know I can select a number of objects (walls, roofs, openings, slabs, etc.) and still make a symbol that would be my preferred option.

Take a camera view and use the create symbol tool from there. Much simpler.

I draw the building, then delete everything but the terrain to draw the second. That way I can reference the original for placement and easier to get height off terrain. In the case of the example there's a breezeway that connects the two which need adjusting in both the original addition and the garage. I always start at 0,0 for the corner of the building so never have an issue with Z fighting. I just find it easier than a symbol if only doing a few structures, never had to do a full development then I likely would go to symbols.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I draw the building, then delete everything but the terrain to draw the second. That way I can reference the original for placement and easier to get height off terrain. In the case of the example there's a breezeway that connects the two which need adjusting in both the original addition and the garage. I always start at 0,0 for the corner of the building so never have an issue with Z fighting. I just find it easier than a symbol if only doing a few structures, never had to do a full development then I likely would go to symbols.

I will remember this if I know I will be putting them together. I use reference drawings now and then for my remodel work, so I know what you are saying. Thank you