How Do You Create Versions Of A Plan Or Archive? (File Management)

4hotshoez

Typically, when I have a design in progress and present to a client I rename the design with a sequential number at the end of the name: "ClientHome01" to "ClientHome02" and so on(I am currently up to 10). Then I let the server back up the trail I create. But I would like to know if there are better ways of managing a trail of changes to a design. I have read of one recommendation is to create a Zip file several times a day as the changes evolve.

One problem with the method I use is Layout keeps a link of the older versions and need to be manually upgraded.

Then there is the problem of designing one room of a house while another room develops its own branch of design schemes at the same time as if each room is its own project. (I have been doing detailed cabinetry design room by room as well as whole house design).

Any other methods work great for other Chief users?

Thank you.

I always keep the name of the current file the same so the links to layout remain. I copy (in windows, not a save-as) and rename the plans that are archived.

The Moakster's method should work as well as any.  I do it differently,  I number sequentially,  once I have newer  plan file number,  I go to the layout and TOOLS<LAYOUT<REFERENCED PLAN FILES..... select the old file,   hit the BROWSE and browse to the latest plan file.....  now all is linked.

Two relatively quick ways to accomplish the same goal,  choose the one that floats your boat.

Layout is geared towards creating single set of documents for each plan, however, I have been using it to communicate design to the client one room at a time on 8 1/2" x 11" sheets and I need to create a new layout for each room or submitted design. One question is whether I should use the same Layout for second and third generations of design for the same room. I have been sending camera 3D images direct to layout without saving them, which is the only place they are saved.

Comments on this method or your own? I would like to learn.

I use sequential numbering as well, but also break it into phases. For instance, if I'm just trying to toss around ideas for myself, I'll go with "Client_S1", "Client_S2", etc. Client name, then "S" for sketch. I'll progress to something to present and call it "Client_P1", _P2, P3, etc. when I get to the preliminary stage, then use F for finals. The way I archive it is I'll actually rename the file and append it with the letter A, so "Client_P2" becomes "Client_P2A". When I open the layout it prompts for the missing file, I attach the current file and it relinks everything. One layout.