Front Entry Door With Glass Surround

brushpark

I have to add this front door entry and would like to get some ideas from other users (see attached).  I thought I could use wrapped openings, or Doors & doorways / Entryways but there is nothing similar to the design.  How would others approach this custom front door design?

Thanks!

post-404-0-84701600-1421087152_thumb.jpg

Create the Surround using whatever 3D Tools you like and convert it to a Doorway Symbol.  You will need to specify the fixed and opening sections in the symbol  can place a door (custom in this case) into the opening.

There was a thread on this in the old forum but I don't remember where exactly.

As a part of the Doorway Symbol.  When the Symbol has been created and stored in the Library you can right click on the library object and open the dbx.  There is a tab where you can specify the number of sections and identify each one as to function and size.  This will control how it appears in Plan and where a door will be placed.

Thank you for the door symbol.  I am getting the same results with your symbol that I was getting from the one I created.  I changed the opening sections and still haven't figured out what is going on.  Here is what your door symbol looks like after working with the opening options.

post-404-0-06305400-1421109505_thumb.jpg

post-404-0-32907800-1421109513_thumb.jpg

post-404-0-02423300-1421109521_thumb.jpg

You just need to suppress the casings and specify that the doorway has a full arch.  Note also that my doorway was designed for a room with a 13' minimum ceiling.  Once the doorway has been inserted into the wall and appears correct you will need to select a door symbol from the library and place it in the opening.

You just need to suppress the casings and specify that the doorway has a full arch.  Note also that my doorway was designed for a room with a 13' minimum ceiling.  Once the doorway has been inserted into the wall and appears correct you will need to select a door symbol from the library and place it in the opening.

Joe,  this would be a good exercise to do in your workshop.  Funny,  I did a vid on this a few years ago and it worked pretty good,  but for the life of me I cannot remember how I did it.

Joe,  this would be a good exercise to do in your workshop.  Funny,  I did a vid on this a few years ago and it worked pretty good,  but for the life of me I cannot remember how I did it.

Maybe if time permits.  Doorways are a subject that would almost need it's own workshop.  Someplace I have a "Doorways Rules" document that itemizes all the nuances of that symbol class.  I'll see if I can dig it up and put together a demo.

Little tidbits of things here and there that you may not look at a lot but may need to refer to, I put in a \Development\Methods folder. That way I have captured the knowledge and can get it later if I need it. For example, what code block to use to make a Chief VRML export truly "walkable".