X14 Native Mac Version - Cudos to CA

Steve-C

I've been using CA's X14 Beta for 3 days with ZERO issues! I've done everything from room boxes to final layout and have not had one problem yet, just hope I'm not jinxing myself :P

The fact that they have a version this stable for their first attempt on a new platform is really impressive. Well done CA!

Has anyone had any issues with the native Mac M1 version?

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 7:39 PM, Steve-C said:

I've been using CA's X14 Beta for 3 days with ZERO issues! I've done everything from room boxes to final layout and have not had one problem yet, just hope I'm not jinxing myself :P

The fact that they have a version this stable for their first attempt on a new platform is really impressive. Well done CA!

Has anyone had any issues with the native Mac M1 version?

I have been running it on my old desktop with an Intel chip and it is extremely stable.  I literally just received my new mac ultra studio this evening so will be setting it up tomorrow and can’t wait to try it out on that system with the new Mac ultra chipset.

• Like 1

Yep.  X14 is a hit.  No crashes yet.  I WAS able to lock it up, but I was pulling many linked plans from dropbox onto a layout that resides in dropbox................it timed out and before I let it run its course, I force quit it.  It could be dropbox, or 100 other things...........

It's great to have it stable!

On 4/18/2022 at 9:09 PM, rgardner said:

I have been running it on my old desktop with an Intel chip and it is extremely stable.  I literally just received my new max studio this evening so will be setting it up tomorrow and can’t wait to try it out on that system with the new Mac ultra chipset.

I was thinking about purchasing the Mac Studio just now...

Which Ultra did you purchase?  

The 48 or 64 Core GPU?

Are you noticing a difference from what you were previously running?  If so what was that if I may ask?

8 minutes ago, basilbabaa said:

I was thinking about purchasing the Mac Studio just now...

Which Ultra did you purchase?  

The 48 or 64 Core GPU?

Are you noticing a difference from what you were previously running?  If so what was that if I may ask?

I went with the 64 core GPU and 64gb of Ram.  I only did the 2tb storage but I use icloud for everything so I don't see that being an issue.  I also upgraded to dual matching 4k monitors instead of a mix like before.

The thing is amazing.  Everything is like instant.  A couple of times I will see the beach ball in chief but with big files and always are very quick not taking more than 1/2-1 second usually.  Thing is super quiet even with large files and pulling PBRs and cpu ray tracing.  Little things like the new keyboard with finger id are a nice add-on over my old system which still was running quite well with x14 just a bit slower.  I highly recommend the studio but I would always recommend upgrading  as much as possible.  I didn't go with the 128gb ram as I felt it wasn't going to be worth it for me with my workflow as I am 99% chief for my workflow.  Bonus is if I want Apple will still give me $900 for my old system if I don't sell it direct.  Could have traded it in but logistics weren't working for me to ship it back within the time frame needed.

• Upvote 1

So will Chief run on the Studio with X12 or X13 or would I need X14?

I have remained on X12 and have not gone to X13 due to the fact that I prefer the crispness of the 3D rendering in X12.  (See my attached).

But I'm at the point now where I can't handle this beach ball, it's killing me so I may downgrade my personal preference of clarity to get rid of the beach ball.

X12.png

X13.png

1 hour ago, basilbabaa said:

So will Chief run on the Studio with X12 or X13 or would I need X14?

I have remained on X12 and have not gone to X13 due to the fact that I prefer the crispness of the 3D rendering in X12.  (See my attached).

But I'm at the point now where I can't handle this beach ball, it's killing me so I may downgrade my personal preference of clarity to get rid of the beach ball.

X12.png

X13.png

X12 and X13 although will not run natively on Studio like X14 does run very well on it without any notice that it is not running natively.  It uses the Rosetta converter to run programs that are not designed to run natively on the ARM technology.  But the only difference I can see running x13 on my new vs. old intel based computer is that it is WAY faster as in basically instant instead of in larger files getting the hated beachball.

Now that being said your reluctance to upgrade to x13 and now x14 for the perceived rendering issues I am going to state without intention of hurting your feelings is 100% UE.  X13 changed to a different rendering engine so you cannot expect the same results with the same settings as x12.  It like putting unleaded gasoline in a new diesel engine.  You have to put what is best for the new rendering engine.  Once you tweak your settings you will not see that difference.  I get the same crispness in x13 as I did in x12 but I had to change my default settings to make it better for the new rendering engine.  What you are showing above is as good as apples and oranges because you dont have it set correctly.  In fact you can see your lighting set is not even the same.

All that being said you will gain hours of productivity with the switch to x13 and more with x14.  Hope this information helps in your decision.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Now that being said your reluctance to upgrade to x13 and now x14 for the perceived rendering issues I am going to state without intention of hurting your feelings is 100% UE...

... You have to put what is best for the new rendering engine.  Once you tweak your settings you will not see that difference.... 

All that being said you will gain hours of productivity with the switch to x13 and more with x14.  Hope this information helps in your decision.

My feelings are not hurt.  I am not proud  :-).   Your info is very helpful.  I just ordered the my Studio.  However, 

...and I don't mind you staying it is due to UE.  That is obvious because have spent hours trying to find the "magic" settings everyone is telling me about in X13 and I cannot seem to locate them.  I think even you yourself commented on a few of my previous posts on this issue, but I am obviously not getting to them.  

Any chance I can hire you to teach me about where and what settings I need to change in X13 on this file to make it crisp?  

1 minute ago, basilbabaa said:

My feelings are not hurt.  I am not proud  :-).   Your info is very helpful.  I just ordered the my Studio.  However, 

...and I don't mind you staying it is due to UE.  That is obvious because have spent hours trying to find the "magic" settings everyone is telling me about in X13 and I cannot seem to locate them.  I think even you yourself commented on a few of my previous posts on this issue, but I am obviously not getting to them.  

Any chance I can hire you to teach me about where and what settings I need to change in X13 on this file to make it crisp?  

Awesome you will love your new studio!  It's definitely an investment but worth it!

I would highly recommend one of the rendering gurus instead of me.  I am not a rendering expert as for my business it is not what I offer.  I know enough to get by for my workflow and when I need better I hire an expert to do it.  @Renerabbitt is one of the best rendering artists and I know that he does offer training.  @Chiefer is also an extremely skilled rendering artist.  I am not sure if he offers training though? 

10 minutes ago, basilbabaa said:

Thanks for the callout @rgardner always so generous with my name, and agreed the Jintu is the man at rendering, I came up reading his every post.
Basil. Why dont you drop an example plan for rendering in a new thread and I will play with a few things as well as a few others will as well Im sure. 
I do offer training if need be.

5 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Thanks for the callout @rgardner always so generous with my name, and agreed the Jintu is the man at rendering, I came up reading his every post.
Basil. Why dont you drop an example plan for rendering in a new thread and I will play with a few things as well as a few others will as well Im sure. 
I do offer training if need be.

Thanks @Renerabbitt.  I posted what you asked at the bottom a previous thread on this subject:  

I am grateful for your assistance.

• 4 weeks later...

@Renerabbitt, @rgardner  I finally had some time to get back to this issue.  I just downloaded the X14 Beta.  All my rendering issues between X12 and X13 have been resolved!

Opening my X12 plan in X14 (as is AND with no material changeouts or modifications) looks fantastic!  

Unlike when opening it in X13, my plan appears just as clean and crisp in X14 as it did in X12; it actually looks better because the material rendering is far better in X14 than in X12.

Crisp clean lines and resolution CLARITY is back!  CA somehow managed to take the best of X12 and X13 rendering and combine those features into X14.  It's darn near perfect. I am so excited I cannot wait to get my new Mac Studio now.  I only wish that with the current supply chain bottlenecks, that I didn't have to wait until the end of July for it to ship.

Thank You CA for listening and acting.  I can tell that I am so going to enjoy working in X14!

Just now, basilbabaa said:

@rgardnerPerhaps you ordered when the supply chain was less stressed?  Things are strange these days. They told me when I ordered a month ago that it would not ship for 3 months.  Here's hoping it will ship sooner like yours did, but that's what I was told.  :mellow:

original ship date was 10 weeks from when I ordered it.  It shipped after 4 weeks.  This was about a month ago. +/-

• Like 1

Just wanted to chime in here with my first impressions. Overall it's a great update - seems like they did some work 'under the hood' because the overall program seems a lot faster and sleeker. All the actions and things are so much faster - not quite instant like with the mac studio Ryan has but still quite snappy compared to the previous versions. What I really liked is that Layout is much faster than before - they've really sped it up so it works like a CAD program should, without lag. 

It's certainly a game changer when that little bit of lag time is eliminated - very happy about that aspect of the update and it seems to run great with fewer crashes.

• Like 1