Can't delete a layer in a set

CV-reno

I have a layer in a set for which I deleted all objects.  I wanted to delete the layer, but the button is still greyed out.  With only that layer visible, I tried Ctl-a and Del, but there appears to be a phantom object remaining in that layer.

Is there any way to find out which objects are assigned to a layer?

23 hours ago, javatom said:

Turn all layers off except the one you want to delete.  Hit F6 to show what ever it is that is hiding on that layer.  Delete the offending object then you should be able to delete the layer.

That's basically what I did using Ctl-A then Del.  Tried again with F6, just in case, empty workspace, still can't delete layer.

23 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

You can't delete System Layers ( or accidentally renamed System Layers )  check in the ALDO to see if it has an S in the USED Column.

M.

Right.  Both phantom layers are +.  So just to be sure, I reset the layer names.  No joy.

The red plus means that it is used somewhere in your plan.  It may also be used in your defaults and it may also be a system layer.  The pop-up hint I mentioned will tell you this.  It might just say "used in plan" or it might say "used in plan and defaults".

"Used in plan" is still somewhat ambiguous though because it can be hiding in a lot of places.  It could be in a saved cross section or elevation view.  It could be in a saved cad detail.  It could used by an object that is in a cad block.  

If you want someone to do something other than make random guesses, then you should probably post a plan. 

22 hours ago, Dermot said:

If you hover over the symbol in the used column you should get a pop-up hint that tells you where the layer is being used.

Both phantom layers are + and show 'used in plan' as every other +.

Where else can I go 'deeper down' to find the culprit(s) ?