Seeking Architect For Plan Finalization - Kalamazoo Mi

Jedjewel

If any of you remember, back years ago here in Calif. the Architectural license board decided to Grandfather all building designers to full Architect status, without having to take any test, it was automatic, I didn't at that time b/c I wasn't a member of the building designers group which involved a yearly fee. Forgot what it was called. I thought it was a waste of money at the time. I did have a lot of friends that did get Grandfathered, what a mistake that was, Some of them had to hire plans out b/c they couldn't do it.

If any of you remember, back years ago here in Calif. the Architectural license board decided to Grandfather all building designers to full Architect status, without having to take any test, it was automatic, I didn't at that time b/c I wasn't a member of the building designers group which involved a yearly fee. Forgot what it was called. I thought it was a waste of money at the time. I did have a lot of friends that did get Grandfathered, what a mistake that was, Some of them had to hire plans out b/c they couldn't do it.

It was the American Institute of Building Designers  (AIBD).  I have a buddy who was grandfathered in.  I don't know why I did not give it a go.......  

Almost odd how many feel anybody can be an architect, but no one would ever question the expertise and experience of a lawyer or a doctor and try to do that himself.

It is a little bit like marketing, and how some people do their own ads. I guess it is because it looks easy or familiar that one think there must be nothing to it.

Almost odd how many feel anybody can be an architect, but no one would ever question the expertise and experience of a lawyer or a doctor and try to do that himself.

It is a little bit like marketing, and how some people do their own ads. I guess it is because it looks easy or familiar that one think there must be nothing to it.

I agree - its an odd perception.  DIY projects nearly always appear exactly that.  Graphic Arts as gone this way too, but at least there you are talking about a small monetary investment in an ad or printed materials.  It amazes me that people can't seem to view a good designer/architect as an investment into what many people would consider the single largest asset they may own.

Often good design pays for itself even in the construction costs, let alone appreciation equity.

yet, a DIY might be able to do a decent design

look at FLW and Sullivan and others who never got a degree

and did designs against the "norm" of their times

Are you honestly comparing FLW and Sullivan to DIY?   :)

They were both mentored by architects for many years, FLW under Sullivan and Sullivan himself studied architecture both at MIT and École des Beaux-Arts in Paris.

In some states you can become a licensed architect without graduating even today, but it takes many years of experience under an architect. And then 7 pretty serious exams.

I believe most DIY projects are led by taste without knowing what good design is about.  The most common thing i see in a DIY project is too much taste meant to compensate for lack of design understanding.  The project can take a turn to "funky-town" about this point.  Composition of mixing good design (and everything related), the clients taste, and the "program" (architectural brief) are the elements to make a successful project.

Never done a DIY project, not sure what you mean. Do it yourself doesn't have anything to do with design.

I mean the classic definition of a layman who undertakes a project themselves.  In this instance we are talking about DIY home/remodel design.

Are you honestly comparing FLW and Sullivan to DIY?

somewhat ....

as far as the "ESTABLISHMENT" was concerned they were school drop-outs

who were creating "unconventional" nee ""ugly" architecture

again, I have seen some really HORRIBLE" designs by trained architects

again, I do recommend clients seek architects

especially if they can afford them or want that level of service

I use to belong to the AIA as an associate member

they would hold monthly "how to work with an architect" seminars for home-owners

I attended a few and the architect was emphatic that he would NOT

look at any plans they brought as it would stifle his creativity

he would also not do any projects under $X as it wasn't worth his time

so what is a homeowner going to do - but seek out a DIY designer

Lew

Hold the phone....  "DIY Designer"?  Perhaps we are talking two different things and this is causing some confusion.  I relate DIY as someone that has a different profession outside design or architecture - with no (or virtually no) background and/or schooling in design - thinking they can buy "Home Designer" and draw up their house or remodel project.  I am not relating DIY as a "designer" or anyone actually within the design world.

I wouldn't place anyone that has a background in design (training/schooling) or other in the "DIY" category.

The way I read it is that being a builder doesn't typically mean you are a designer, and that the longer education someone has in general the more knowledgeable he is. There are exceptions to everything, but just as there are bad architects the same way there are bad doctors and lawyers, in general an architect is more trained in designing houses than anyone else. Sounds pretty obvious, right?

Richard:

hmm, construction has been stopped at 85%

the Historic board reversed their decision

you can split hairs but the articles say the same thing

the neighbor didn't like the building and got the board to change their mind

"ugly' is in the eye of the beholder

that was my only point in posting that article

what some consider "ugly" may not be "ugly" to others

Lew

Richard:

I don't know if the building is "ugly" or not

personally, I don't like it

but I don't like "modern" arch. that much anyways

and if the neighborhood is "traditional" then it may not "fit"

but my opinion is not why I posted the article

Lew

Richard:

I concede, your article is better...

I don't know this story from shinola

I stumbled across the article and posted it as an example

of how "opinions" come into play - that is all

it wasn't meant to be a "treatise" on everything that happened

the neighbor was annoyed and apparently is still annoyed

I'm glad he was able to finish the house

If I had received approval and started construction

I would have sued the board etc

I'm sorry they gave approval in the first place but they did

and it's kinda late to reverse that

Lew

Richard:

these quotes are from your article

If you don't like the word "sue" - then choose another

whatever floats your boat

She hired a lawyer to appeal the commission’s positive decision to the city’s Board of Adjustment, which reviews procedural errors by city agencies

Cherry and Gordon no longer had a building permit. It was suddenly illegal for them to so much as hammer another nail, and the possibility that the half-finished house would have to be torn down became real. Just the other day they got a judge to give them permission to resume construction just long enough to close up the incomplete house and protect it from the weather

Lew

Johnny,

Although I still get sucked into these conversations, I have been here long enough to know that this forum has a preponderance of "give the little lady what she wants" and "the customer is always right" type of designer, who will look for every opportunity to trot out their "bad architect" stories. Why, even Chief Architect touts the following as a testimonial to their product: "You should know that I have absolutely no architectural training, skill, experience or anything. I know next to nothing about construction. I figure I must have saved us at least $15,000 in additional architect fees. In conclusion: A big thanks for one of the all time greatest products that I have ever used. If an idiot like me can get plans to a builder, this is pretty fair country testimony as to how good your product is."

While I have mixed feelings about using a product that is actively trying to undermine my value as a design professional as part of their marketing strategy, it is clear that advocating for good design is often a waste of time here. Knowing how to build is seen as the same as knowing how to design, and apparently knowing how to build isn't even a prerequisite to starting a drafting and design business.

Yeah, its an odd mix to have CA be selling to non-professionals trying to save a buck - but in the long run its hurting those customers.   If that wasn't bad enough, I agree they try to sell builders into becoming design/build firms which just propagates the notion if you can use a CAD package you are a "designer".

Good "designers" and architects should equally be frustrated with that notion IMO.   Does anyone suggest a design professional should take a client's idea, which they know not to be good, and implement it without some amount of protest?  I've had great relationships with my clients to where if they suggest something off-the-wall, I will just tell them "no, i can't let you do that" (in a semi-humorous way) ...and we chuckle and come up with a workable solution.

There is one more aspect to that, and its how much the client respects the designer/architect.  If you have no respect by your client, then they probably dont think much of your opinion - and that a circular problem to have.  In which case I call that being a draftsman not a designer.