Custom stairs-landing

mtldesigns

Alright now, what do all think of these stairs?  This newest house I am doing, the MS. of this new build is animate that this is what she wants (See attachments).  First question for you guys is; are these stairs code?  I know the spacing between the balusters are not..  but what about the first couple of steps right off the landing?  I've read Florida 2020 a couple of times and not real clear if this is acceptable and my IRC doesn't say much either.  (R311).  Could I have a "wider" first tread as I show with my first attempt.  I can do what is shown in her pictures, just not sure if its legal.  

Your thoughts?

9.JPG

4.JPG

RAILING.jpg

As far as the stairs themselves are concerned, I see no violations in the pictures, but I do see a violation in YOUR design.  Specifically, that hybrid stair tread/landing at the bottom of your main stairs isn't deep enough to qualify as a landing and as such needs to be considered part of the entire run.  Since its obviously more than 3/8" difference in depth from the rest of your treads, it would fail.  I also see an issue with that same tread/landing area with regard to its functionality as a proper walking surface.  Its too narrow a surface to serve as a walkway to the adjacent hall.  If you move that whole lower landing and the L shaped stair thing about a foot to the left, I think you should be good.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

shaped stair thing about a foot to the left

..So away from the stairs? 

Good..  my eyes didn't think it looked right either and my brain was fuzzy about it, so that's why I threw it out here for others to look at.  

thanks Michael..