Do You Use Wall Framing Details?

HumbleChief

I am seeing that X14 has many new wall framing detail tools. Headers, king and trimmer counts, and more, all sent to layout for a framer to reference. I don't think a framer in the filed would kill a designer if there were wall framing details in the plan but he would certainly ignore most of them and frame the wall properly.

And if you do use wall framing details to direct the framer, who checks on the framing in the field? Would you check against the framing details? Or check it against standard and competent framing standards and practices? 

the engineer uses the framing details here for "tall walls"

but i'm with you the framer will frame as he sees fit. I suppose if you had california corners and order less lumber and he built normal corners, "someone" could chastise him for wasting wood.

I suppose 24" centres would also be good to "visualize", as most here simply build 16". headers is also another one, headers in the attic for tall gable walls are more energy efficient.

I think it would be the GC enforcing it. also perhaps the lumber company picking off some details in estimating.

I use some of them to detail a specific condition, but I've never shown all walls. 

I think it is nice to show for a large wall with lots of windows and different header sizes and king/jack stud configurations. the schedule is nice, but the visual is easier to follow...speaking from my own experience of framing a large wall with different windows

With the codes in California adding so many trimmers and kings to larger spans, I think I might be putting a plan together that notes the number of trimmers and kings so this is not missed in the field. I keep a chart on the site as we start framing to get everyone up to speed. It is an easy thing to miss and then you have a short header cut. With the price of LVL today, that would be no good.

Although I have personally used actual Wall Details for all sorts of things and know of plenty of other designers and architects that do as well, I think a pretty large swathe of users are actually using a lot of the new tools for the resulting  Materials List improvements more than they are for actual Wall Details.

I recently put in a feature request to have Construction Lines display in a Wall Detail.  Just another feature that can help framers and others visualize how the wall framing lines up to other walls in the floor plan and section views.

You could do this in a section view, but there are times when the Wall Detail is a little less complicated to set up and use.

When 'tall walls' exist, I provide wall framing details for those walls. Currently, in my region, these must be engineered so my wall details do 99% of the ground work for the engineer who reviews, edits if needed, and stamps the drawing.

These drawings include a schedule which can be used to cut every piece, and I also include a hardware schedule for everything except nails.

For somewhat complex houses I have provided wall faming details for an entire floor. It greatly reduces the time and potential for error on site and I quite enjoy drawing them.

image.thumb.png.87455b6510be8d93e982339aabc32094.png

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, robdyck said:

When 'tall walls' exist, I provide wall framing details for those walls. Currently, in my region, these must be engineered so my wall details do 99% of the ground work for the engineer who reviews, edits if needed, and stamps the drawing.

These drawings include a schedule which can be used to cut every piece, and I also include a hardware schedule for everything except nails.

For somewhat complex houses I have provided wall faming details for an entire floor. It greatly reduces the time and potential for error on site and I quite enjoy drawing them.

image.thumb.png.87455b6510be8d93e982339aabc32094.png

Very interesting approach Robert.

2 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Nothing more than I just find the approach interesting. 

To your original post and question / comments: I think when / if wall details are provided, some drawing notes could indicate that site modifications may be made at the builder's discretion.

There would be time where no modifications would be acceptable and that could be noted on a case-by-case basis.

That being said, even a firm drawing may require modifications; for instance a 2-story wall is often slightly higher than the drawing dimensions. Foam sill gasket or sealant under plates, poly or building paper wrapped under plates, swollen floor sheathing, or slight imperfections in plate straightness can all add to the total height. I usually needed to add ≈1/16" per assembly to the height of a 2-story wall for a neat match at the top, with the goal of being 1/16"-1/8" lower to allow for settling of the adjacent walls over time.