X-14 BETA Loves, Hates, Bugs?

HumbleChief

2 hours ago, buildology said:

Anyone having issues with vertical spacing of their text in X14. There is so much to love about the update but all my template text boxes have grown so new plans are a mess. When I make a new text box it also has the same spacing.

Update-- If I remove the the Margin from the bottom it fixes it. It seems to add the margin to every line..

I was just going to report this! It seems as though almost all my text boxes change size in X14. In layout, I only have a few but they were set with 0" margins top and bottom, and in X14 Chief has added a 1/16" margin to the top.

The snippet below shows an example from an elevation view and a cad detail. These were all aligned and now have to be resized for every plan. Time consuming!

image.thumb.png.411ca565032bb40689d8e4a6a7a8b9c7.pngimage.thumb.png.93f181cc4aa6a7a7872cdcdfc294aceb.png

33 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I was just going to report this! It seems as though almost all my text boxes change size in X14. In layout, I only have a few but they were set with 0" margins top and bottom, and in X14 Chief has added a 1/16" margin to the top.

The snippet below shows an example from an elevation view and a cad detail. These were all aligned and now have to be resized for every plan. Time consuming!

image.thumb.png.411ca565032bb40689d8e4a6a7a8b9c7.pngimage.thumb.png.93f181cc4aa6a7a7872cdcdfc294aceb.png

Seems to be adding a margin in between every line.

If you convert it to Rich Text it goes away but we have 100s of text boxes so not an ideal fix.

I see this too in schedules and in a CAD Detail dropped into plan from the library.  The CAD detail corrected itself, but the schedules have to be manually corrected.

I sent the CAD detail in to support but it was not reproduceable.  Please send in your X13 layouts or plan for review.

27 minutes ago, MoeGia said:

Please send in your X13 layouts or plan for review.

I've sent a report to TS. I'll provide them with as many plan files as they want / need.

This could end up being very costly to my time. Didn't we deal with the same thing from X12 to X13 or was it X11 to X12?

I remembered constantly aligning text boxes because the inherent sizing parameter was different from one version to the next.

When the public beta was released, it included a note about adjusting vertical text spacing in schedules. There has been a longtime problem where a number of common fonts would sit directly on the grid lines with no space, and these fonts now look perfect in schedules. So it seems they added some padding below the text to adjust how text sits in schedule cells, but maybe the fix has flowed over to other areas?

Anyone Else having a crash / locked out of GUI on Opening a macro in TMM ? I do have a Camera Open in another TAB but don't know if that is related..... Chief is using 9-10% of the CPU  doing something but it won't let me back in.....  after 8 mins ...I "ended task" on it

image.thumb.png.6238daecf79bd25d374aea168e8cfbb4.png

Chances are that you have an infinite loop in the macro.  When you open it in TMM it tries to execute the macro but it never gets out of the loop so it can't exit the macro and release the CPU.  It may be that if you first select an object that uses that macro before opening TMM then the macro will exit properly.  

Proper error handling might eliminate the problem.  It could be as simple as an unitialized variable.

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Chances are that you have an infinite loop in the macro.  When you open it in TMM it tries to execute the macro but it never gets out of the loop so it can't exit the macro and release the CPU.  It may be that if you first select an object that uses that macro before opening TMM then the macro will exit properly.  

Proper error handling might eliminate the problem.  It could be as simple as an unitialized variable.

Hi Joe , quite possibly , but it is not my Macro, you maybe able to figure it out, I grabbed it out of a thread to try it as apparently it doesn't work, to see if it was something simple like a typo :) , this is the post and Files if you want to have a look....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/30911-floor-area-macro-without-needing-a-polyline/?do=findComment&comment=267707

Mick

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Anyone Else having a crash / locked out of GUI on Opening a macro in TMM

I do not, but I notice that looks like my macro in your screenshot. it has no loops. The only error I ever get with it is an evaluation error (such as if the object referenced is not a room).

I tried to reproduce the error by having a camera open, selecting a room, and opening up the TMM. The macro will run as soon as it is selected. I see you have it open in the editor, this means it probably ran successfully before you opened the editor. so me thinks something else is going on

41 minutes ago, jasonn1234 said:

I do not, but I notice that looks like my macro in your screenshot. it has no loops. The only error I ever get with it is an evaluation error (such as if the object referenced is not a room).

I tried to reproduce the error by having a camera open, selecting a room, and opening up the TMM. The macro will run as soon as it is selected. I see you have it open in the editor, this means it probably ran successfully before you opened the editor. so me thinks something else is going on

Yes it was your Macro, I was playing in X14 and just dropped it in to see if a Step had been missed or if there was a typo , one weird thing was the macros were not highlighted eg in the Text Boxes or Room Label when I went to insert them via the M Icon > User Defined but I found I could still insert them although not "available" ( greyed out )

M.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Hi Joe , quite possibly , but it is not my Macro, you maybe able to figure it out, I grabbed it out of a thread to try it as apparently it doesn't work, to see if it was something simple like a typo :) , this is the post and Files if you want to have a look....

Hi Mick,

I took a quick look at the macros as listed in the original thread.  They're very poorly written with no checks to make sure the variables are initialized properly - or providing a way to exit gracefully. 

I would not import that into my system for exactly the reasons I stated.  One of those - or maybe both - have the potential to enter a loop with no way of exiting.

I'm not going to try to "fix" the problems - just beware installing such code without knowing what sort of trouble it can cause.

• Upvote 1

there are no loops, but yes they do not check for certain things, as I was fine with the evaluation error when I created them as that is how I was looking for race conditions. for instance if you have no basement it does not work, but that is also noted in the thread

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

one weird thing was the macros were not highlighted eg in the Text Boxes or Room Label when I went to insert them

only the allarearef should be available, the other is tied to a room label object as owner

3 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Hi Mick,

I took a quick look at the macros as listed in the original thread.  They're very poorly written with no checks to make sure the variables are initialized properly - or providing a way to exit gracefully. 

I would not import that into my system for exactly the reasons I stated.  One of those - or maybe both - have the potential to enter a loop with no way of exiting.

I'm not going to try to "fix" the problems - just beware installing such code without knowing what sort of trouble it can cause.

Thanks for taking a look Joe, I am no Macro Guru , just thought I maybe able to help the OP with the Issue. It does surprise me a Macro can bring CA down though..... 

2 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

there are no loops, but yes they do not check for certain things, as I was fine with the evaluation error when I created them as that is how I was looking for race conditions. for instance if you have no basement it does not work, but that is also noted in the thread

only the allarearef should be available, the other is tied to a room label object as owner

Thanks J , hopefully you can help the OP as apparently I can't.

M.

19 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

It does surprise me a Macro can bring CA down

It's not so much that it can bring CA down, just that it has control of the Application and doesn't allow any other input.  But of course the OS can terminate any process - ie: via Task Manager.  In this case the Ruby Script is running under Chief Architect so that's what has to be terminated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

there are no loops

Not that you can see, but internally within TMM a loop can be entered.  That evidently is what has happened in this case.  It's always best to test that a variable is initialized to a value that works with any condition the script attempts to perform.  ie: <=>+-*/, etc. 

If an error occurs within a script it's possible to initiate an infinite loop - particularly when using TMM which tries to determine validity.  In this particular case I suspect it's not the macro itself that has the offending loop.  Rather it's probably TMM that's caught in a trap.

• Upvote 1

During a 2 hour screen share (just ended) with a multi-project builder......all my toolbar icons disappeared.  He was a good sport as we hunted the file menus for the commands I needed to use the app.  Not a professional look for sure.

I was using join.me to share the screen.

Had a plan open with 1 or 2 3D views for him to see on monitor 2 while I made edits on monitor 1.  

X14 beta latest update

2021 DEC M1 max MBP in clamshell (closed)

I update all software on all machines daily before anything else.

After the toolbar icons disappeared I noticed that the 3D manipulation with the mouse was EXTREMELY sensitive.......scroll zoom was like 50 times more and panning seems accelerated as well.

It's not so much that it can bring CA down, just that it has control of the Application and doesn't allow any other input.  But of course the OS can terminate any process - ie: via Task Manager.  In this case the Ruby Script is running under Chief Architect so that's what has to be terminated.

Thanks , you may have hit the nail on the Head , it just would not let me back into the GUI at all.

M.

If an error occurs within a script it's possible to initiate an infinite loop - particularly when using TMM which tries to determine validity.  In this particular case I suspect it's not the macro itself that has the offending loop.  Rather it's probably TMM that's caught in a trap

well i posted the check pretty much everything version over in the tips and tricks. but I also ran it 5 ways to sunday with some without some checks, never saw it hang. If it hangs in TMM but not in the macro execution, then this would suggest the TMM is not following the same behaviour as the CA plan view version of the macro execution. it would also appear by the screen shot that it is actually in the TMM editor, not the TMM container as normally once you click on the marco in the TMM container it runs the macro. The macro is very basic, it would seem odd it would falter on something so simple. my thoughts are perhaps it is something else. Perhaps it is the goofy browser thing, which happened again to me today, except it was a zoom web window

the more I look at the screenshot the more it seems unlikley.

The macro could fail on owner.function or owner.floor_number but kBrid looks to have a room selected, so it should not.

The comparison statements are using the correct data types so it should not fail on that. i tested it by  hooking it to other objects and all it ever comes back with is evaluation error

I suppose it is possible owner.function or owner.floor_number returns nil and the comparison fails and never returns

The only other failure could be the rounding or _to_s for standard_area. so if standard_area return nil, I suppose the rounding function could break and never return. but by testing it against objects that do not have those properties, that tests most of the above

and after all that, the bottom right of the TMM editor in Kbird's screenshot actually has a result so it would suggest it ran sucessfully

so it still seems rather odd it would hang in the editor,

@Kbird1 did it only hang the once?

2 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

I agree.  I don't think it has anything to do with the macro looping.  His screenshot shows the executed macro results meaning that its not stuck in a loop and has indeed finished execution.

So here's one other thing to check when you have a seeming lockup.

• Look on the Taskbar and see if there's a modal app (popup) running that's not visible on the screen.  It might be asking for input but you can't see it because it's hidden behind Chief.  If so you can bring it to the forefront and answer.

This happen sometimes and we just don't recognize that it's the problem.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, para-CAD said:

During a 2 hour screen share (just ended) with a multi-project builder......all my toolbar icons disappeared

I think this was happening early in X13 too IIRC for some and also related to multiple Screens in use. I tend to only use the Side Windows on secondary monitors now due to toolbar issues early in X13.....

you could double check you are not running Nahimic sound software on your system , it is a Known incompatibility with Chief , I have it on my laptop , so I have a post in the Tips Forum about it.

Mick.

12 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

The macro could fail on owner.function or owner.floor_number but KBird (Mick) looks to have a room selected, so it should not.

I did (pink)

12 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

The comparison statements are using the correct data types so it should not fail on that. i tested it by  hooking it to other objects and all it ever comes back with is evaluation error

I suppose it is possible owner.function or owner.floor_number returns nil and the comparison fails and never returns

The only other failure could be the rounding or _to_s for standard_area. so if standard_area return nil, I suppose the rounding function could break and never return. but by testing it against objects that do not have those properties, that tests most of the above

I was getting a nil error on evaluation before the lockup I think on the %allarearef% macro in TMM but I did not try it again after that.

and after all that, the bottom right of the TMM editor in Kbird's screenshot actually has a result so it would suggest it ran sucessfully

so it still seems rather odd it would hang in the editor,

@Kbird1 did it only hang the once?

Apologies if I have accidently "started" something here....

Mick.

I am having this problem wherein the electrical labels will not turn off in plan no matter what I do.

My best guess is that the "label" is not really a label.  It is just text that is in the cad block.  If so, then this has nothing to do with X14.  If not, then you should probably post a plan or contact tech support.

• Upvote 1