X-14 BETA Loves, Hates, Bugs?

HumbleChief

3 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Here's X13 with a large ridge and the proper sized rafters. Looks like (I think) it should. Never seen a rafter up against a wall that matched the ridge until now. Bug? Dunno. Sent it in.

RIDGE.png

If the Roof plane doesn't fully touch the wall it will produce a Rafter not a Ridge sized ledger even 1/16th is enough, it's how I used to "fix it" ie move it a hair....

But possibly it was fixed in X13 and came back in X14? it is a Old "Issue" though as Perry also mentioned.

M.

Regarding migrating template plans...

If we didn't think you should ever migrate template plans, then it wouldn't even be an option.

Tech support will often recommend creating a new template starting with the default one that we ship with the program.  This is because tech support sees lots of problem plans and they know that creating a new template can help prevent you from bringing any problems forward into all of your new plans.

We always migrate our shipping templates forward for every new release. We also have a testing team that looks at them very carefully to make sure that they don't have any problems.

If you have a lot of confidence in the template plan that you were using in X13, then you should have no problem bringing it forward and using it in X14.  I would be more hesitant to bring in a template plan from an earlier version though.  The older the plan is, the more likely it is that you will find problems when you bring it forward.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Does anyone have a link for reporting bugs? For some reason I can't find it...

For Public Beta you just use the Normal Tech Support Option, Dermot Posted the Link on Page 1

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SNestor said:

@HumbleChief Larry - watch the video. Your roof framing issue is not a bug...it's just a simple fix. 

HumbleChief - X14 Roof framing. Not a bug! - Watch Video

6a6756246bca4833a1427f443ea4e202-with-play.gif

Thanks Steve. When I change the wall to an attic wall, delete all framing, then reframe everything, the lookouts still intrude into the adjacent room. Maybe not a bug on your system but I have to turn off roof rafters in the floor overview so those lookouts don't show in the kitchen wall. Again, maybe not a bug but it certainly bugs me. :P

Here's, pic below, the framing after changing the wall, deleting and rebuilding all framing.

LOOK OUT 3.png

From Tech Support,

Hello,

Thank you for the heads up here, I was able to replicate the issue and it appears as though those lookout framing sections are being dropped from the roof plane above. Much appreciate the heads up, unfortunately the only solution right now is to manually adjust those joists, in this case, I group selected them and unchecked Automatic Height and then Raised the height by 24"
see attached image for result

But I have filed with with the folk upstairs here, so hopefully we can get this addressed before too long.

Again, thank you for the heads up and also for the kind words about the X14 release. In a separate notice I have passed your words onto the development team and the rest of the company.

Regards,

Kristopher
Chief Architect Technical Consultant

Too bad this thread got down to trying to  fix the original OP's second post on a possible bug.

I absolutely recognize the welcome additions to X14.  But is it "one of the best version updates in a long time" as stated in another post?  I guess it depends on the reasons you use CA.

Personally, I use a lot of the visualization facilities of CA on my projects.  With the announcement of X14, not one item on 3D rendering (except for a few walkthrough novelties).  Do PBR and RTRT need love? That's my hate/wish.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

( Think I read a post here, maybe of Dermot's that said they had a "Dimensioning Expert" on the Team now ).

Interesting. We'll see how the "dimensioning expert" measures up. B)

9 hours ago, CV-reno said:

I absolutely recognize the welcome additions to X14.  But is it "one of the best version updates in a long time" as stated in another post?  I guess it depends on the reasons you use CA.

No truer words. I don't do much PBR and don't use RTRT so those non-improvements don't really affect my daily work flow. And as with every new release there's features I'll never use, features I didn't know I needed, and features that I've wanted for a while.

Layout Box Callout "Y-Offset" is backwards.  To place it UP from the referenced location a "negative" (-) value is required. 

It should be a "positive" (+) value.

Label offsets work the same in X14 as they did in all prior versions.  I believe they also work the same for all polyline shaped objects.

Label offsets are always in object space, not plan space.  If you rotate an object, you will see that X and Y are still relative to the object's reference direction and have nothing to do with the plan's x and y coordinates.

16 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Label offsets are always in object space, not plan space.  If you rotate an object, you will see that X and Y are still relative to the object's reference direction and have nothing to do with the plan's x and y coordinates.

Dermot, it's the LAYOUT BOX I'm talking about so a positive (not negative) offset value is correct for positioning the Label up from the reference location.  This is totally different from Wall, Door, Window, Cabinet, etc Labels

IOW, the offset means "Move this Much - to the (x) right or (y) up" 

The software should be attuned to the way a designer or draftsperson thinks - not an arbitrary programming "rule".  ie: User Friendly

• Upvote 2

This is totally different from Wall, Door, Window, Cabinet, etc Labels

No, not really.  It might not be what you want or even very intuitive, but it is certainly not anything new in X14.  The picture below shows a bunch of different objects with positive y offsets.

Just to be clear though, this is an issue that we are aware of and something we hope to change in the future.

1252789165_labelreferencedirection.thumb.png.dd9853b215843d52f7ddf1f4fe419477.png

3 hours ago, Dermot said:

it is certainly not anything new in X14

Really? 

X14 is the first time we've had the set a default for locating the location of a Layout Box Callout Label.  Actually, we never even had Layout Box Callout Labels before.

On that basis I contend that it's totally new in X14.  ;)

So far it's great. Except that it does not include my preferred font. It is very annoying to now change my fonts on all annotation sets. 

Other then the usual reconfiguring tool bars and whatnot for every upgrade, seems awesome so far. 

21 minutes ago, Alchemyjim said:

So far it's great. Except that it does not include my preferred font. It is very annoying to now change my fonts on all annotation sets. 

Other then the usual reconfiguring tool bars and whatnot for every upgrade, seems awesome so far. 

If you migrate your Toolbars there should be NO visual appearance changes  and your System supplies the Fonts so nothing should of changed there either?

If Chief's Font's have gone missing? they are still available at the very bottom of the is KB artical in Zip format.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00006/message-the-following-fonts-are-not-available-on-this-system.html

Mick.

I can tell you what I love the most about X14...Chief X13 wrecked almost all the CAD blocks for my symbols when they were resized in a plan. X14 now automatically keeps the CAD block, the way Chief always used to. Sweet mother what a relief. IMO X13 was the most costly version to production and I'm very happy that X14 has new features focused on production.

I hate that Chief hasn't fixed the ridiculous brick ledge settings by all the various stone materials.

Chief - you aren't qualified to determine the brick ledge settings. Undo them all and leave this up to the building designer. This is especially true for adhered manufactured stone veneer.

try this, Change the conc. foundation wall to to designate it as framing and not concrete. by doing this, I can get the brick ledge even for stucco to go down 2" below the bottom plate line. maybe it will work in your condition. Why does it work, I don't know?

57 minutes ago, robdyck said:

IMO X13 was the most costly version to production

A truer word was never said , for me at least X13 has been a mini nightmare and on all new hardware as well.

The Latest version even brought back the "Triangles" in Layout....

M.