X-14 BETA Loves, Hates, Bugs?

HumbleChief

Wanted to have a thread dedicated to all things X-14 which I think is a BRILLIANT release. There are so many new features it's really hard to keep up.

Linked details - wow. That new text leader tool - awesome. Callouts can now have different arrow styles - LONG time coming but so, so nice. Way too much to list but nice job Chief. Really nice job.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Here's a roof framing bug I THINK I found. User error always suspect and only post to see if others experience the same thing?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/10qkr4knn6vuqp6/ROOF BUG.plan?dl=0

Larry - I think your template could be the problem. I just opened X14 and quickly recreated a similar plan. My template has auto framing turned on...and the screen clip below shows the result. Worked as expected...

2022-04-14_11-10-26.thumb.png.04ca79181440c6df652c6e2a51cc2f9e.png

THANK YOU. How would the template affect the roof framing? I did spec the ridge at 5 x 14 (ish) and that large side joist seems to mimic that large ridge beam. Not sure how I could frame the roof that way if I tried. Does the plan I posted give any clues? Perhaps there's new setting I'm missing? 

16 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

THANK YOU. How would the template affect the roof framing? 

Don't you use the SAM method? I'm just guessing about the problem but seems to me the SAM can eventually carry over things that you really don't want or know about. 

But - I'm just guessing. So take my comment for what it's worth. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Don't you use the SAM method? I'm just guessing about the problem but seems to me the SAM can eventually carry over things that you really don't want or know about. 

But - I'm just guessing. So take my comment for what it's worth. 

I do, still don't know how a template could affect a plan in the way shown. Did you look the plan over? And that last video? If you don't see the problem in the posted plan on your system, using your templates, then perhaps that's the problem? Sent it in to tech support. Awaiting comment.

38 minutes ago, fangelo said:

Crashes on startup today, Worked great yesterday.  Anyone else having this issue?  I have submitted a bug report.

It is most likely you are using an old template.  Create a new Version specific template each time.  

19 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I do, still don't know how a template could affect a plan in the way shown. Did you look the plan over? And that last video? If you don't see the problem in the posted plan on your system, using your templates, then perhaps that's the problem? Sent it in to tech support. Awaiting comment.

See above comment.

@HumbleChief - Yea, no idea what is causing your trouble with the framing. I did download the plan and I can see the problem. However, I've created a plan from scratch in X14 using my template (not a SAM)....and my framing works as it is supposed to work. I don't get the same framing condition. 

Could it be a room definition? Or..possibly a framing or roof group issue? 

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

Larry - I think your template could be the problem. I just opened X14 and quickly recreated a similar plan. My template has auto framing turned on...and the screen clip below shows the result. Worked as expected...

2022-04-14_11-10-26.thumb.png.04ca79181440c6df652c6e2a51cc2f9e.png

It appears you spec you Ridge at the same size as the Rafter hence the Rafter on the wall looks Correct, Larry has a Structural Ridge Beam, however I don't believe this is a New Bug, Chief has always used the Ridge size as the " Wall Ledger " size to , this can also change if the Roof Plane doesn't touch the wall properly.

Mick.

11 minutes ago, rgardner said:

It is most likely you are using an old template.  Create a new Version specific template each time.  

I still have this issue in X13 too with Older Plans brought Forward and ended up redoing My and My Clients Templates in X13, so I was hoping not to have to do this again.

M. 

4 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Here's a roof framing bug I THINK I found. User error always suspect and only post to see if others experience the same thing?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/10qkr4knn6vuqp6/ROOF BUG.plan?dl=0

Larry , this is how Chief has always worked , if you change the ridge to a larger member then the hips and ledgers will also change. I have sent this in many times. You need to use a roof beam for ridges and keep the ridge in the roof DBX same size as the rafters to work. we should have separate boxes for hips, ridges and ledgers.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Larry , this is how Chief has always worked , if you change the ridge to a larger member then the hips and ledgers will also change. I have sent this in many times. You need to use a roof beam for ridges and keep the ridge in the roof DBX same size as the rafters to work. we should have separate boxes for hips, ridges and ledgers.

Exactly my thinking Too !

M.

9 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I still have this issue in X13 too with Older Plans brought Forward and ended up redoing My and My Clients Templates in X13, so I was hoping not to have to do this again.

M. 

Chief recommends a new template each version.  I have tested it each year and always have a crash or an issue from old plans.  X14 you can create a new template pretty quick and import your SPV, Defaults, Layer Sets, Wall types, etc.  Seems to not have any issues after that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

Chief recommends a new template each version.  I have tested it each year and always have a crash or an issue from old plans.  X14 you can create a new template pretty quick and import your SPV, Defaults, Layer Sets, Wall types, etc.  Seems to not have any issues after that.

Yes it is  the recommended way but I had no notable issues in earlier Versions, and it was the import of Defaults , SPV etc , that broke it each time for me in X13 in particular Dimensioning, which I believe got a full overhaul in X13 and there are more improvements in X14 ( Think I read a post here, maybe of Dermot's that said they had a "Dimensioning Expert" on the Team now ).

Hopefully the bug of being able to click on things that are not even visible is gone too.

M.

Please remember that X14 is currently available as a beta version.  This means that you may find some problems that were not in prior versions.  Please report all of these problems directly to our tech support team so that we can try to correct them prior to the actual release. 

Feel free to also report any problems that were in prior versions that have not been addressed in X14.  The more people that report a problem, the more likely that it will get addressed sooner rather than later.

Please remember that posting on Chieftalk is not the same as reporting problems to us.  Although Chieftalk is moderated by Chief Architect, it is really just a user forum where the majority of the content here comes directly from users.  While some employees may read and even comment on some posts, there is no guarantee that any given post will be looked at by an employee.

You can find out how to contact support here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Here's X13 with a large ridge and the proper sized rafters. Looks like (I think) it should. Never seen a rafter up against a wall that matched the ridge until now. Bug? Dunno. Sent it in.

RIDGE.png

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

Please remember that X14 is currently available as a beta version.  This means that you may find some problems that were not in prior versions.  Please report all of these problems directly to our tech support team so that we can try to correct them prior to the actual release. 

Feel free to also report any problems that were in prior versions that have not been addressed in X14.  The more people that report a problem, the more likely that it will get addressed sooner rather than later.

Please remember that posting on Chieftalk is not the same as reporting problems to us.  Although Chieftalk is moderated by Chief Architect, it is really just a user forum where the majority of the content here comes directly from users.  While some employees may read and even comment on some posts, there is no guarantee that any given post will be looked at by an employee.

You can find out how to contact support here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

Thanks Dermot sent it in first thing.

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Chief has always used the Ridge size as the " Wall Ledger " size to , this can also change if the Roof Plane doesn't touch the wall properly.

See the pic above. Never seen it before and X13 doesn't (apparently) use the Ridge Size as the Wall Ledger at least from my experience.