Library Organization

RobUSMC

Has anyone tried to organize their library catalogs into group categories?  For example, it would be nice to organize them into groups such as I would like to have all countertop materials in a folder and then the bonus or mfg. materials would remain in their individual sub folders.   I would like to have groups such as ... Cabinetry & Millwork, Cabinet Accessories, Plumbing, Tile & Flooring, Countertops, Paints, Appliances, Doors & Windows and so on.  I know I can create a new folder in the user library for each of these categories then copy and paste the mfg. or bonus libraries into those new folders however, that does make your library even larger. Since I've been using CA since version 8.0 (Not X-8) I personally work from my user library that I've accumulated over the years.  I would say 50% user, 30% mfg., 20% bonus. I know you cant copy and paste from the core library so that would not be a big deal.  There are libraries both mfg. and bonus based on the name I wouldn't really know what it contains unless I open it and look. Example, Brosco, Invisia,  Bonus Fixtures #2,3....Hardware #1,2,3.... and the 27 bonus lighting libraries.   Over time when I have gone into libraries I've hand-picked items I may use over and over and copy them into my user library.   Just wondering if anyone else does something different, has tricks or tips. 

Keeping an eye on this as well - it would be great to be able to catagorise it all (all chairs together, all tiles, all faucets etc) without having to have copies of everything in the user catalog. 

Maybe this is something that can be implemented for the next update. 

This is one of my projects if I ever have a moment when I can come up for air. I search the lighting folders for one of maybe 6 lights that I will like. I just need to distill the personal folders down to the items I will actually use and be able to ignore the rest. 

I have my user Library organized in Folders.  Mostly I have in broken down to Layout Objects vs Plan Objects.  Within that context I have Text, 2D Symbols, 3D Symbols, and then subcategories within that.

For things I use a lot from the Core, Bonus and Manufacturer Libraries I generally just link to the item rather than actually copying it.  That's more efficient.

Maintaining a useful organization if an ongoing process but can be a big help in the long run.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, EMchue said:

Joe, I hadn't thought of linking items thats a great idea. 

The only downside is if you need to edit stretch planes or other details.  Then you would need to actually copy the item to your user library rather than just linking.

I have my User Library organized by folder types.  I 'copy link' everything back to it's original location so if the catalog is updated, so is my link.  Each folder has a 'Defaults' folder for often used or custom items.  I find it easier to find things and browse what's available, especially for materials.  If I tweak a material, I copy it to a new folder so I have it for future use.

It's a huge project, but if you start with what you need most (countertops) and do a category at a time, you'll get there.

Now that we can migrate the library, it's much easier to maintain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RobUSMC said:

And if you do this linking within your library can that then be copied to a laptop or another PC

I cant say for certain but I would assume if you export your user library and then import into another computer the links should hold....

To share the library with another computer you can store the library on a cloud service.  I use OneDrive to store the entire Chief Data Folder (not the standard install location). It's the easiest way to share the library, templates, etc. I also choose to locate all the files within my Data folder so the downloaded catalogs are all in one place.  Do this in 'Preferences'.

The libraries must be exactly the same on each machine or you'll have 'can't find or missing' errors.  In the past, I've copied/pasted the actual CA Data file and User Library to other machines.  The problem with this approach is that you have to maintain more than one location.  If you modify a library item on one machine, you have to copy/paste it to the other machine. 

With X14, I have the CA installation in the default location on my main computer (Documents).  That file is backed up to OneDrive.  On my laptop, I can access that file and have directed CA to use that location through Preferences.

The cloud storage is much easier.