Brick ledge down to foundation

AndrewSopher

Hello, 

I have been trying to create a brick ledge (starting on main level) down to the foundation. I want the foundation base to be 10” and where the ledge sits for it to be 6”. Above the 6” part of the foundation I want it to be a 2x6 framed wall. I tried using the brick ledge dialogue, and have attempted multiple different pony wall combinations to get it but no luck. I feel that I need multiple pony walls in order to pull this off. Is there anyway to do this ? I attached a drawing (not drawn to scale) for a better representation. Thanks. 20F768D8-3326-44EE-9417-5E6666694967.thumb.jpeg.6bb854cb3c02c0ca08a62359af7c4673.jpeg

51 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

Just a pony wall below. All the brick should line up all the way down.

EDIT: re-read...you will need a pony wall on the first floor as well for the wainscot of brick.

I am guessing that for the 6'' part of the foundation I will need to auto detail it. When I do this the brick extends down to the 10'' part of the foundation but the foundation does not create the "ledge (When it goes from 6'' to 10'')" unless I auto detail it. Is that the only way to do it? 

@AndrewSopher - Take a look at the attached plan. It may help you understand how pony walls work to get you what you want. 

You need a pony wall for the main level wall type...and a pony wall for the foundation wall type. You may need to manually align them as Chief doesn't do a great job aligning pony walls on top of pony walls.

Foundation Pony Wall with Brick X13.plan

My post isn't directed to the original poster, and is not in any way a criticism of Steve's post, but rather to point out what I think is some strange behaviour by CA when doing brick ledges.

I have noticed that CA doesn't seem to do brick ledges consistently.   Here is the model that Steve posted with a section through the wall.  Notice that there are actually no brick ledges in the wall cross section.

In the plan posted by Steve the brick ledge was set to zero, so of course there would be no brick ledge.  So I changed that to 3"  as can be seen in the wall DBX

2043945047_WallDBX.thumb.png.05d77451ae8f8ebeba98dc3e5f5210cb.png

Here are the resulting wall cross sections

1064088414_PonyWall.thumb.png.c3c3b4f7efeb2ca01f983e6e3fb49df7.png

So I wondered if the problem may only be because a pony wall was used, but no, the result was the same

28395116_ConventionalWall.thumb.png.00761706dbb253ba27df6c66b6310d4b.png

Here is where I did the sections,  (S1 was Steve's original section and S2 was one that I added. I also broke the wall to get both a pony wall section and a conventional section.) 

64018818_PlanViewFoundationLevel.thumb.png.d36ac65ed8e0c27fcc7a10ff25579fd6.png

Has anyone else experienced this?

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

@Doug_N if you look at my wall definitions I set them all to have a zero depth brick ledge. 

I saw that Steve, but as I said in my opening comments, the post was about how CA deals with brick ledges, and not what you said, nor what the original poster said.  Sorry if it seemed I was criticizing what you did.  That was not my intent.

@Doug_N - No problem...I didn't read your post thoroughly enough. I understand your point...and you are correct.

I never noticed that when you place a framed pony wall with masonry veneer over a concrete stem wall (foundation)...that Chief does not auto create a brick ledge. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 11:12 AM, SNestor said:

@AndrewSopher - Take a look at the attached plan. It may help you understand how pony walls work to get you what you want. 

You need a pony wall for the main level wall type...and a pony wall for the foundation wall type. You may need to manually align them as Chief doesn't do a great job aligning pony walls on top of pony walls.

Foundation Pony Wall with Brick X13.plan 4.01 MB · 11 downloads

@SNestorThank you, this is very helpful. To get the "ledge" part of the foundation wall (where it goes from 10'' to 6'') do you just have to auto detail it in a cross section view? As @Doug_Npointed out the foundation doesn't want to build up behind the brick ledge for some reason.