Problem with Room Specification Preview

TFreeman01

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

CA Premier x13

Attached is the screen shot (*-12.png) of the Great Room of the attached Plan and the same room from a previous iteration (*-11.png) of the plan.

I spoke with Tech Support earlier today but was told there are no settings that I have access to that effect the Preview.

I opened a case and posted this to Tech Support a bit ago.

I am not sure whether to go back to the earlier version and re-make the changes or continue with the version I am using and hope there is nothing important wrong when I try to roof, frame, etc...

Thanks

Tony Freeman

Lot 28 Comb - 12 Preview.png

Lot 28 Comb - 11 Preview.png

Lot 28 Comb - 12.plan

• Solution

I spoke with Tech Support earlier today but was told there are no settings that I have access to that effect the Preview.

I hate to contradict tech support, but I don't think that is correct.

Try going here and turning on the Floor Surfaces layer, Walls,Normal.........etc.

In the preview pane, make sure Back Clip Preview is toggled off.

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 4.52.05 pm.jpg

2070697009_ScreenShot2022-04-08at4_57_59pm.thumb.jpg.c787e97ad2b929a989f9a5e0d2e835bb.jpg

I also noticed that you are using real world heights in the Absolute Elevations section.

Although this seems to work OK, i always try and avoid that method and I think it may come back to bite you on the bum at a later date.

I think it is better to use the Absolute Heights in relation to floor level 0 and then control the terrain height by the Subfloor Height Above Terrain setting.

Anyway...see how you go, all may be OK and if you find things going wonky, you may know where to look.

Keep your eye open for walls that want to build all the way down to zero height. 

5 hours ago, glennw said:

Try going here and turning on the Floor Surfaces layer, Walls,Normal.........etc.

2070697009_ScreenShot2022-04-08at4_57_59pm.thumb.jpg.c787e97ad2b929a989f9a5e0d2e835bb.jpg

This was spot on, thanks.  Seems there are in fact quite a few elements that can be turned on or off.

Thanks again, I am terrible at tracking changes or more importantly the reason for changes.

Would have been very difficult to go back and update the older version of the drawings.

5 hours ago, glennw said:

I also noticed that you are using real world heights in the Absolute Elevations section.

Although this seems to work OK, i always try and avoid that method and I think it may come back to bite you on the bum at a later date.

I think it is better to use the Absolute Heights in relation to floor level 0 and then control the terrain height by the Subfloor Height Above Terrain setting.

Anyway...see how you go, all may be OK and if you find things going wonky, you may know where to look.

Keep your eye open for walls that want to build all the way down to zero height. 

Definitely see CA trying to build walls to 0.  What is odd is that I have gotten through most of the issues and have a real world terrain based model with original and final grading contour lines.  However, when I select a footing or wall as an element, the base lines extend to 0, though there are no visible elements at 0.  The other place it creates a challenge is in initial 3D views - Perspective and the Room Specification Preview but others also.  The views open to include the 0. 

With what I know today, if starting over - I would have based elevation off the walk-out basement floor.  The negative elevations for the down slope would have driven me nuts (just a bit OCD over things that don't really matter). I got wrapped up trying to make the terrain work and at some point the plan just grew with the real world elevations.  Terrain and Wall Heights have been the hardest part of CA for me to get comfortable with.