How Fast Is Your X6 Ray Trace?

Dave89

Okay... I'm just trying to get a feel for the speeds I should be getting with my Ray Traces.

For my test I am using the following:

Default Riverstone Plan with X6

View: Camera 12

Default Ray Trace Settings

640x480 Resolution

Ambient Occlusion = NO

Environmental Lighting = NO

Photon Mapping = NO

Depth of Field = NO

Limit = 2

Rendered for 2 Passes

Test PC #1

MSI A88XM Gaming FM2+ Motherboard
AMD A10-7800 3.5GHz to 3.9GHz Turbo - Quad Core
AMD 16Gb RAM - DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
AMD Radeon R7 Graphics 1024Mb
AMD Radeon R7 240Gb SSD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Ray Trace Time: 24.00

Test PC #2

Shuttle XH61V Motherboard
Intel Core i7 3770S 3.1GHz to 3.9GHz Turbo - Quad Core, 8 Threads
G.Skill 16Gb RAM - DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Intel HD 4000 Graphics 1024Mb
Intel 530 240Gb SSD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Ray Trace Time: 8:50

The reason I am curious is, I believe I should be getting faster Ray Traces as others on the forum seems to be a lot faster with a lot more advanced settings.

Thanks in advance for anyones input.

Dave

0:00:06 when using your settings. I'm using an AMD FX 8350.

Try checking your threads using the task manager. If they're not all at 100% while ray-tracing that might be your problem. 

If you are eager to get more performance out of your system you could try and overclock your AMD chip but you should be careful with that particular chip.

jon's advice to turn off the lights made a huge difference ( assuming I set it up right )  , it went from 11.25 to 00.26 with only lights 81 and 82 on, is 81 and 82 only correct? or should Sun still be on? didn't make much difference either way since it was 00.27 with sun......but is pretty dark .

whats the trick to quickly turn off/on the lights or do you need to just go thru all 168?

M.

select all using ctrl+a, space bar

or shift select a group then space bar, skip past what you want on, and shift select again

well that certainly made it quicker  :)  thx....

so just 81 and 82  and the sun on?     just curious as my comp. isn't that new  but has 4 cores so doing okay I guess ,all 4 were maxed (i7-950 @3.4)

barely used 5GB of Ram though and I have seen Jon mention that 16GB isn't enough so he has 32GB  , perhaps it is highly scene specific though?

Dave, "Speed" in ray tracing depends upon the complexity of your 3D model, your lighting, material settings and then lastly your hardware. In order to actually have tests that might be useful, you must have a single plan file, set exactly the same by all testers, otherwise it is then just useless opinion an not "Scientific", base line results.

DJP

David:  I believe that is why Dave had us use the Sample Riverview Plan and the already set Camera12 view to do the RayTrace from.

Jon: thx , that make sense ... the resolution having a big impact , I haven't play with RT much so hoping to pick up a few tips from this thread and the other current on on Raytracing Settings. 

Edit:  I tried your setting Jon but for 10.5 " (A4/Letter sheet) and left the lights as before (only 81,82 and Sun) and it is only using 1/2GB more Ram at 5.5GB

but I may need to come back tomorrow with a time :(  wow....13 mins and only 6% on pass1 so 15 lights might not get done ,i';d have to run it overnight.....  so I am guess the no# of lights makes a big difference in the RAM used from these results.

*** Edit 2    2 1/2 hours Jon for the 1st pass !  with 2 lights and the sun , for some reason the CPU dropped to 24% usage for the 2nd pass so I stopped it but am not sure everything was alright as I briefly saw Chief.exe show "not responding" in task manager monitor window just after the ray trace started.

Mick

what settings though Rob?

how many lights on? there are 160+ by default

with Larry's (HumbleChief) settings above , 6 lights and the sun , I am at 1:04

it don't look so pretty :)   but this is a speed test only....

M

Like Larry I don't think you comp is that bad either.... that's why I asked, the OP doesn't state no# of lights, so its assumed ,has them all on by default ie all 168...... my 1st run was 24:00 too 

with Larry's settings  2passes 1:04    and with 10 passes 5:19

Thanks for everyone’s input.

Jon,

Thanks for your insight.  All of the lights were on during my test render.  With just lights 81, 82 and Sun, I'm at 0:56 with the AMD rig and 0:22 with the Intel setup.  Now I've learned the lesson I've been telling my kids, "Turn the lights off when you’re not using them."  Learn something new every day.

From seeing others setup within their signatures, I feel much better with my rendering times.  My two PCs were not meant to be the end all in CPU horsepower but a compromise between power and energy with a silent setup.  Both processors are 65 watts.

Again... Thanks!

Rob,

No way is your processor that slow with only the few Master Bedroom lights on. Remember the OP had ALL the lights on. 

Yes, my first run was with all the lights and the sun on: 25:14.

Second run with just master bedroom lights and sun: 10:44.

Third run with master bedroom lights and no sun: 10:09.