Top Plate Height/Baseline Height

AndrewSopher

Hello, 

I was wondering why when I change the roof baseline height, it also changes the top plate height? I want to keep the top plate height at 218 7/8'' and I want the Baseline height to be 232 7/8'' (218 7/8'' + 14''). When I make the change to the baseline height, it also changes the top plate height in the dialog. I locked the pitch because I want it to remain the same. When I go into each room the ceiling height remains the same and doesn't change (which is what I want), but in the roof dialog box it has the plate height changing with the baseline. Is this a bug? I just want to make sure that I am using the correct heel heights so I want to make sure this is correct. Thanks. 475682673_Screenshot(45).thumb.png.37110e05352eb309f35e0d50c5abf4de.png1408451460_Screenshot(44).thumb.png.3d3b205e3c2dfbedacefb3ed8e45c10a.png

I personally think this is a bug and not working as intended.  According to the Help files:

The Top of Plate is defined by the ceiling height of the room below and is reported here for reference....

I would suggest reporting it to tech support. 

Generally, walls will go up to meet the roof or follow a ceiling height setting. Don't know your situation but if you set your ceiling to 8' and the roof baseline to 10' then you can use the balloon through ceiling to automatically get the wall to 10' high, baseline height is set to the plate height plus the vertical depth of the rafter. It's all in the roof DBX.

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I personally think this is a bug and not working as intended.  According to the Help files:

I would suggest reporting it to tech support. 

I think it is a bug too. When I go into the room dialog and check to see the ceiling height, it has not changed, so I think you are right. I will give them a call tomorrow. 

8 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Generally, walls will go up to meet the roof or follow a ceiling height setting. Don't know your situation but if you set your ceiling to 8' and the roof baseline to 10' then you can use the balloon through ceiling to automatically get the wall to 10' high, baseline height is set to the plate height plus the vertical depth of the rafter. It's all in the roof DBX.

Not sure if this changes anything but my roofs are all set to trusses and not rafters. It seems odd to me that the top of plate would change in roof dialog and not in the room dialog (under rough ceiling).

If you are raising roof planes wouldn't you need the top plate and walls to raise as well, otherwise, what is the roof going to bear on?

If you increase the Baseline height, Chief will raise the roof and auto build attic walls on top of the standard top plates/ceiling heights.

If you want to avoid manually editing the roof planes or build auto roof (which I suggest you use) you can change the default roof height in the roof defaults at Raise/Lower From Ceiling Height setting.

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 9.24.53 am.jpg

1 hour ago, glennw said:

If you are raising roof planes wouldn't you need the top plate and walls to raise as well, otherwise, what is the roof going to bear on?

If you increase the Baseline height, Chief will raise the roof and auto build attic walls on top of the standard top plates/ceiling heights.

If you want to avoid manually editing the roof planes or build auto roof (which I suggest you use) you can change the default roof height in the roof defaults at Raise/Lower From Ceiling Height setting.

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 9.24.53 am.jpg

I see what you are saying. The main reason I use baseline height is because I want to manually edit the heel height, which I thought was the baseline height - the top of the plate. I want my top of plate to remain the ceiling height in this case, 218 7/8” and be able to manually edit different roof planes to match different heel heights.  To my knowledge the best way to do that was in the baseline height: top of plate height + desired heel height. Maybe I’m wrong. Not sure. 

1 hour ago, glennw said:

You should do some research and find out what the baseline height is. 

I just realized that I was trying to say in the quote you had that baseline minus the top of plate would give me the heel height. Not sure if that clears it up. 

47 minutes ago, Gawdzira said:

The baseline height, in framers terms, would be the Stack Height. A vertical line drawn up from the top plate to the top of the rafter on the outside of the wall.

In the image "HAP"

image.thumb.png.7e85f14cc8650a682543374c046e692d.png

So would the baseline height minus the top of plate give me the heel height for trusses ? 

my room height:

image.png.59ea672b41df0d6ae7737c5a8b35b960.png

my roof:

image.thumb.png.ba8620efeb5c614e7809a827e7288b73.png

my truss:

image.thumb.png.572b3129253598be341e3168c3d7dcd6.png

so 231-3/16 baseline less top plate from room of 218-7/8 = 12-5/16 . Truss heel is 12-5/16"

I will note that if your baseline "line" is not actually on the outside of the top plate, you will get odd results. when i first put in these comments my baseline was on the outside of the wall layer (siding) and it was out by 1/2". Once I corrected, the math worked out.

note as well any time you move a roof plane up or down you need to open up the truss and check "force rebuild"

interestingly on this plan I have two different roof pitches and the top plate in the roof plane is changing between them

The one roof plane has 216 3/8 top of plate and the other has 219-15/16 for top of plate, but the room is 218-7/8

so i think it is a bug as in the roof dbx the definition is the room

• The Top of Plate is defined by the ceiling height of the room below and is reported here for reference. N/A displays if no room is below the roof plane.

10 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

interestingly on this plan I have two different roof pitches and the top plate in the roof plane is changing between them

The one roof plane has 216 3/8 top of plate and the other has 219-15/16 for top of plate, but the room is 218-7/8

so i think it is a bug as in the roof dbx the definition is the room

• The Top of Plate is defined by the ceiling height of the room below and is reported here for reference. N/A displays if no room is below the roof plane.

Interesting, same thing is happening with me, it doesn't make sense why the top of plate would be changing in the roof dialog box if the top of plate is defined by the ceiling height which is remaining unchanged. Thanks for your input.