Maintaining History

KnotSquare

I live in one of America's most historic towns and have been awarded a contract to remodel one of three buildings of an old train station into a restaurant, wine bar, tasting room and seasonal mercantile rental spaces. It is a grand project and I am delighted to have this treasure placed in my trust. There are elements of the exterior that we need to recreate in what is termed as "period sensitive". What this basically means is that we need to keep the outside of the building as historically relevant and possible.

I have attached a few photographs of elements that are a challenge to me to recreate so that I can inquire with a manufacturer to make a more energy efficient replica of what once was.

I have had this structure scanned with LiDAR techology and anyone interested can walk through the entire building, but I have asked the company that did this scan to keep it up through the weekend, understanding the file size. This is the link to the very large file to see this 3D scan of a spectacular building. Link to LiDAR of Train Station

You will need to install Autodesk ReCap Pro from their website. They offer a free 30 day trial that then turns into ReCap which will still let you walk through any other images scanned with this technology.

At the moment is the challenge of recreating the door component shown in the first photo. I believe I have the corbel created, but found it easier to do in Chief than SketchUp Pro. The windows that are like a single hung, but operate in a 3rds proportion remain a mystery as well as to how to represent in Chief.

Any help is graciously accepted.

Mark Farrar

Knot Square Design, LLC

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

That building is beautiful Mark.  You should be proud to have this honor.  How old is this building?  I love the brick work and rafter tails.

If I had a better system, I would look at this scan..  I'm afraid that would max me out.  

My family owns the Hennessy Building which was planned out of New York in 1895. I assume it was built over the next year or two given how things worked back then. It is at 130 N Main St, Butte, MT 59701. I do not know, but suspect that this rail station was built many years prior to the Hennessy as the Hennessy was the first steel building ever built in Butte, and if our archives are correct, the first "skyscraper" in the US. High rises are a different class. Skyscrapers where buildings over 5 stories. The Hennessy is 6 plus a basement. This was all due to one invention. I am sure you can guess what that was.

Mark