Concrete Basement Floor

buzzsaw204

CA only have Basement floor to have NO option, but just Concrete Slab floor.

what is the efficient or Best method to draw Basement Floor with Wood Joist construction, Basement Level (0) with Crawlspace.

my work-around, current method, is.... 

Level (0) to be Crawlspace, no floor construction,

Level (1) to Basement Floor using Floor Framing (2x10, etc..)

Level (2) to be Main Floor (above grade)..using Floor Framing (2x10, etc..)

Level (3) to be Second Floor (2nd-strory)..using Floor Framing (2x10, etc..)

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 1.16.56 PM.png

1 hour ago, buzzsaw204 said:

CA only have Basement floor to have NO option, but just Concrete Slab floor.

what is the efficient or Best method to draw Basement Floor with Wood Joist construction, Basement Level (0) with Crawlspace.

Level (0) to be Crawlspace, no floor construction,

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 1.16.56 PM.png

Not a work around that is how it is designed to work with this scenario.  

BTW your 82" stair clearance is supposed to be from teh front of the next tread up and you don't fall within IRC code anyways.  You don't share your location so it might qualify there but seeing as the majority of are at least 76" most 80"or more I don't think it will work.

A landing could be used over the slab.  Why anyone would want to build a basement without a slab however is curious. 

The thermal break between the heated basement space and cooler soil temperature will create vapor. 

It's a recipe for dampness, then mold, and possibly rot, unless the framing is treated.

Edit... unless this is an elevated floor which has no direct contact with the soil - and with fresh air flowing below the framing.

My guess is yes based on your cross section.   

...and yes - Ryan's observation on the stairs is absolutely correct. Edge of tread (nosing) to any overhead surface. 

80" is the minimum allowed by IRC regulation.

Snip20220404_115.png

8 minutes ago, VHampton said:

.....Why anyone would want to build a basement without a slab however is curious. 

this is a Type of Basement Floor we use up here in Canada.

Essentially, it's a Crawlspace as your basement floor construction with Wood Joist framing or Open-Web floor trusses, instead on Slab on compacted fills.

makes warmer floor for cold climate.

4 hours ago, buzzsaw204 said:

this is a Type of Basement Floor we use up here in Canada.

Essentially, it's a Crawlspace as your basement floor construction with Wood Joist framing or Open-Web floor trusses, instead on Slab on compacted fills.

makes warmer floor for cold climate.

Just curious.  Which area in Canada uses this? 

11 hours ago, CV-reno said:

Just curious.  Which area in Canada uses this? 

Me too, I am in Ontario just east of Toronto, and I have never seen this style of floor except for something like a cottage.

23 hours ago, rgardner said:

Not a work around that is how it is designed to work with this scenario.  

yes, wish there was an Actual & proper method of handling Wood joist/crawlspace Basement Floors.

the Garage floor(technically & correctly) is to be on Level (1).....by using this Work-Around, the Garage and its foundation gets all messed up, being on Level (2).

just a Pain in the....to have it sorted out.

5 minutes ago, buzzsaw204 said:

yes, wish there was an Actual & proper method of handling Wood joist/crawlspace Basement Floors.

the Garage floor(technically & correctly) is to be on Level (1).....by using this Work-Around, the Garage and its foundation gets all messed up, being on Level (2).

just a Pain in the....to have it sorted out.

I don't see an issue with putting the garage on level 2.  Chief is designed to build rooms.  A crawlspace is a room on the 0 level in your case, what you are calling a basement is actually a semi-subterranean floor with a retaining wall and not a true basement, if your garage is above that for part of it then on the level 1 you would just adjust that room below the garage that will be "unexcavated" to change where the "floor (top of footings) and ceiling (slab for garage above) would be located.  No one ever said that hillside projects were easy to design/draft.  

19 hours ago, VHampton said:

...anyway, it looks like you may have a great solution thanks to Ryan. 

....No one ever said that hillside projects were easy to design/draft.  

this no mean a great solution for this task....it's a pain to have to resort to this solution.

this would be my Wish List item....to able to have ability for Level (0)/lowest Level to have  option for other Floor constructions, beside just Concrete or "Air" floor.

this method/floor types is not just for one off...."hillside projects" ...this is the "norm"....we do 1000's of these plans in my Region....for rear, "Walk-Out" basements in all new Subdivisions.....1000s!!! 

South-Pointe-and-Prairie-Pointe-Sept-17-1aw-14.jpeg

Yep. I see the frustration. 

It is possible to build a first floor as a Pony Wall. By lowering the first floor elevation, that will allow a lower elevation for the floor framing. 

No walls on the foundation level, even though the cross section shows otherwise. 

Untitled 1.jpg

Snip20220405_121.png

Snip20220405_120.png

Untitled .plan

49 minutes ago, VHampton said:

Yep. I see the frustration.

yes, thats the exact method / work around til now.

Level (0) to be Crawlspace, 4" Stem wall, and no floor construction "Air", 

That works.  Obviously the program isn't quite set up to build more than one level below Floor 1, but it's possible 

The method in the plan which had been attached was set up so that the ground floor is still on Level 1 in Chief.