Pulling the trigger on a new computer.

Doug_N

I've tested this on several machines over the years. I see best performance with Chief Program and Chief Data files on the fastest drive- I use the C drive. I also keep all current projects on that drive which doesn't really make a noticeable difference but I do that anyway. In large part for simplicity of navigation. They get moved to other drive once complete. Added this is Chief Architect specific, that is the only thing I tested for.

AFAIK you do want to avoid any SSD getting crowded say more than half full.

As to drive size benchmarks and user results for the file size we typically are writing shows that a 1TB drive is slightly faster than a 500 GB. This is pretty consistent within a specific brand of NVME. But it is splitting hairs IRL.

image.thumb.png.5a3c4fcf37af042b7db4fc0ebcde420f.png

As to the rest I should likely add another storage drive and you have have encouraged me to at least move that up the (endless) list. However there is no way that with what I have on here and the work that I do I would trade having that many drives I need to access things on regularly for a few milliseconds of seek time for the ease of getting to things I use very often. So say 9 of the 10 years of files can move to storage along with some photos, the rest I think I'll keep doing as now.

2 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I've tested this on several machines over the years. I see best performance with Chief Program and Chief Data files on the fastest drive- I use the C drive. I also keep all current projects on that drive which doesn't really make a noticeable difference but I do that anyway. In large part for simplicity of navigation. They get moved to other drive once complete.

AFAIK you do want to avoid any SSD getting crowded say more than half full...

...As to the rest I should likely add another storage drive and you have have encouraged me to at least move that up the (endless) list. However there is no way that with what I have on here and the work that I do I would trade having that many drives I need to access things on regularly for a few milliseconds of seek time for the ease of getting to things I use very often. So say 9 of the 10 years of files can move to storage along with some photos, the rest I think I'll keep doing as now.

Hi Mark,

I plan on adding an archive HDD to the machine, moving an existing one from my current machine.

Doug

2 hours ago, Doug_N said:

Could I improve things by not installing CA on the OS drive?  Would it make that much difference?

No, and can cause issues with Chief in my experience, as it likes to use it's own Default Folders for certain Operations, so I now have it back on my Corsair 2TB OS Drive. On Modern computers ( last 5 yrs+ ) it is no longer a performance gain from what I have seen to put all programs on D:\ and with 1TB or 2TB on C:\  there is enough Room to have everything on that drive, though I Still have a D:\ Drive for Personal Use and a HDD for running Macrium Reflect and SyncbackFree Backups too along with an 8TB External for the same. ( Always have 2 Physical copies + the Cloud )

NVME/SSDs suffer with lower Throughput on Drives less than 1TB of Space but still way faster than a HDD if a 500GB is what your budget will allow but 1TB are now reasonably priced. The Larger Drives also generally have a Longer TBW (is Terabytes Written (TBW), which describes how much data can be written to the SSD over the life of the drive.)

*** I don't believe anyone on this Forum has to worry about NVMEs or SSDs TBW to Disk or a Drive "Wearing Out" as we are simply not writing enough data to Disk every day to ever Kill a 1TB or 2TB , for example my 2TB has a TBW of 1400 terabytes .... which is 140,000GB / and Chief will use 5GB a day ? ( big maybe) so if my math is is right that's about 76 years.... so should be good for a hand me down to your grandkids....

Mick.

6 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

:P

1 minute ago, Doug_N said:

Oh no, I am 76 now.  That means that to get my money's worth out of these drives I have to live to about 160!!

:wacko:

Please Check My Math :) ,  I don't want anyone getting their hopes up !

M.

11 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

4TB 3.5" HD? Why? Genuinely curious

After reading all your comments and some things on my own, I concur.  At the time I was thinking the bigger the better.  

8 hours ago, 65Shelby said:

Good luck and if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me

I'm going to.. got your message.  And I like the idea you mentioned above about keeping it all clean and simple.  I do keep my project files on the D drive, but not sure on how to keep the programs on it, as you mentioned.  Even though my OS drive is maxed, my D on the other hand has been barely touched.  Would love for Dropbox to be linked to this as well.  Is that possible?

D drive.JPG

19 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

Even though my OS drive is maxed, my D on the other hand has been barely touched

The Old trick to have move space on your SSD is to move the Windows 10 Libraries to D:\ I used to do that but no longer need to....  it is pretty painless and Windows does it for you, simply make new Folders in D:\  eg Pics, Music, Videos etc, and then redirect the Libraries to use those folders via the Locations Tab and it will ask if you want to move the files in the Folder to the new location.

* don't move Documents if you use it to also Store all your Client Plan Files etc in My Docs as it may slow Chief down.

* You can also put OneDrive and G.Drive, Dropbox etc on D:\ to free up space....

Here is a good Tutorial:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74942-move-location-pictures-folder-windows-10-a.html

(Somehow only half my post went up...)
I'm sitting here laffin' tonight... Thanks Mick, needed it.  Wednesday and already been a week...
If anyone is writing only 5gbs of data a day, you need to box up your machine and send it back.  Thumbs.db, browser cache, AV active scans, system, app and other event logs written sometimes by the second, temporary and swap files, etc, etc, etc all cause writes all day... writes happen when you are sleeping if your computer is left on... Sentinel and Crystal are both good programs to look at writes; minute, hourly, monthly, lifetime etc.
We literally have a stack of bad SSDs in our lab.  Many reached their write threshold and although some still work, they are HORRIBLY slow and\or error out...
20220414_100854.thumb.jpg.fe471bda37f486bd8e22682fb7c4103f.jpg
If anyones SSD lasts 76yrs, let me know, Ill buy the lunch you choose the place, Ill meet you in 2098...

LOL
JSnell

16 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

I'm going to.. got your message.  And I like the idea you mentioned above about keeping it all clean and simple.  I do keep my project files on the D drive, but not sure on how to keep the programs on it, as you mentioned.  Even though my OS drive is maxed, my D on the other hand has been barely touched.  Would love for Dropbox to be linked to this as well.  Is that possible?

@mtldesigns
Sounds good.

It's all really simple.  I have both HDS and CA13 installed on my Arch and CAD "F: drive" with zero issues.

144588209_2022-04-1410_14_27-ChiefArchitect.thumb.jpg.74ec443678500d5dfcb5a591d1052d9d.jpg 

I defaulted all my PLANs and Libraries (calibz) on my cloud "E: drive".

161556130_2022-04-1410_22_11-Architect.thumb.jpg.2d1c9613677ea776fb867df860751094.jpg

Ya just need to know what you're doing or you will have problems.

As for cleaning C drive, you can redirect your, desktop, pics, movies, music, downloads, etc, like Mick said... All cake, you can also run a few commands, tweak settings and adjust power consumption to clean up space, pretty simple.

Thurs is a slow day, shoot me a call 

JSnell