Pulling the trigger on a new computer.

Doug_N

Ok, so based on the experience of other CA users that I have seen discussing computers, here is what I ordered today.

MS1 MEG Z590 Unify Motherboard (wifi and bluetooth built in)

Intel Core i7 11700K CPU

32 Gig DDR4 memory

2 Corsair Force 2T SSD PCIe SSD

MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti GPU

MS Windows 10 Pro

Plus Tower, DVD drive, 850W Power Supply etc.  

I have to wait for some of these items to arrive at the store, so if any of you think that I should swap anything for something else, please let me know.

Edited by Doug_N
Corrected Motherboard. (Thanks to Mark)

Looks to be a nice system. I think you mean Z590? as there is no 250.

Wondering why not a 12th generation? I believe the socket changed again. In which case maybe a larger power supply to be ready for upcoming GPUs which are said to be taking a lot of power and have different cables. And what is there for cooling-CPU, case fans and paste?

Personally I'd lean toward a 3080 NOT Ti and put the money somewhere else (well based on track record I'd actually lean toward a 3070 :)

10 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Why a 3080 and not a 3080 Ti?

Chief won't use the extra memory, at least I never get it to use all I have. At a cost difference of over $1k from the place I use I'd spend it elsewhere for instance to move up to a 12th gen if cost is a factor. Else save for next gen GPU coming in fall or so.

image.thumb.png.ce7f3a49114c4984d88f462f547fcd75.png

Mark, I need to do something now, I can't wait until the fall unfortunately.  My system bogs down on some of the larger builds that I am working on.  The system lags sometimes, dropping mouse drags (really irritating and time wasting.)  Next gen cpu means another MB anyway because even to go the an Intel 12700k is almost a grand with only a 12% theoretical performance gain in CPU processing.  Since most of CA performance is GPU dependent, I just can't see how spending a another 1k on CPU and motherboard would help.  Am I wrong in this reasoning?

14 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

3080 Ti?  

Is just fine ! ......personally I like EVGA is all..... it just isn't that much faster than the 3080 if Chief is your only Plan?

Which Corsair NMVE?  the MP600 XT PRO is PCIe 4 and quick..... 7000 mbs... about twice as fast as a PCIe3 drives at 3000-3500mbs.

Depending on the Mobo , only 1 nvme Slot maybe be capable of those speeds though on 11th gen....worth checking perhaps.

don't cheap out on the PS 850-1000w should be okay ... ( EVGA 850 G6 here was $90 cheaper than the 1000w) except for Nvidia 4000 Series maybe....

I might be going 12th gen myself is buy now..... money saved on GPU could go to that and a 12900K or the 12900KS even ...if you can get one....

M.

My reasoning would be future proof since you need it now.

A 12th gen gets PCIE5 which appears to matter with next gen GPUs. Those are said to be a leap in performance (and power draw) this time. The newer socket allows for future upgrades. Your getting the newer socket to allow future upgrades for at least a version, maybe more. I'd take the grand from the GPU and put it there myself.

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Is just fine ! ......personally I like EVGA is all..... it just isn't that much faster than the 3080 if Chief is your only Plan?

Which Corsair NMVE?  the MP600 XT PRO is PCIe 4 and quick..... 7000 mbs... about twice as fast as a PCIe3 drives at 3000-3500mbs.

Depending on the Mobo , only 1 nvme Slot maybe be capable of those speeds though on 11th gen....worth checking perhaps.

don't cheap out on the PS 850-1000w should be okay ... ( EVGA 850 G6 here was $90 cheaper than the 1000w) except for Nvidia 4000 Series maybe....

I might be going 12th gen myself is buy now..... money saved on GPU could go to that and a 12900K or the 12900KS even ...if you can get one....

M.

The PS is a Seasonic Focus Plus 850W

16 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Seasonic Focus Plus 850W

Make/Made EVGA's PS too, along with Sunflower who does the G Series I believe.

And another Typo on that Mobo it is MSI , not MS1 :) 

Mark's thinking isn't wrong but ay the moment it maybe about supply too , getting a 3080Ti maybe easier ?

I have not noticed any difference in Chief myself on either system here.

M.

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

Make/Made EVGA's PS too, along with Sunflower who does the G Series I believe.

And another Typo on that Mobo it is MSI , not MS1 :) 

Mark's thinking isn't wrong but ay the moment it maybe about supply too , getting a 3080Ti maybe easier ?

I have not noticed any difference in Chief myself on either system here.

M.

Incredibly the 3080 Ti is almost the same price as the 3080!  Also the 3080Ti is in stock, the 3080 would have me on a waiting list.  So why not,  

3 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Incredibly the 3080 Ti is almost the same price as the 3080!  Also the 3080Ti is in stock, the 3080 would have me on a waiting list.  So why not,  

Yes big price drop in the last month or so , that's why I thought you maybe going for it....

M.

Just now, Kbird1 said:

Yes big price drop in the last month or so , that's why I thought you maybe going for it....

M.

That is why.  The dealer has a few 3080 Ti in stock but no 3080s.  I think he is trying to move them before the price drops any more.

I opened Chief Lake Point plan and Layout I have it on all 3 monitors- one elevation on the 4k, layout Plan Shell, Foundation, 3rd Floor , 1st Floor, and front elevation on middle; 3D standard on the third. Moved one roof plan up and used undo. Here are system usage for GPU and CPU from opening to now.

1st is current, min and max. for both

image.thumb.png.9fe91b97340d5ced343490513e3daeac.png

2nd is HWInfo shows current, min, max, avg. Only included GPU CPU was the same as HWmonitor

image.thumb.png.ae002f9800f404170916902c99c7019e.png

41 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I have it on all 3 monitors

Since when could we have Chief on split monitors?  

3 hours ago, Doug_N said:

I have to wait for some of these items to arrive at the store

Are you building your own system Doug?  I wish I had the know-how AND time to do that myself.  My system is like your old one, I am really bogged down.  I had to take Dropbox off the C drive to gain space, and the only thing I have is Chief really.. and I am still constantly running out of disc space.. which means SLOW.  I was looking at another OOB system, like my Alien, and prices have come down, but still up there.  But something has to give here and I will need to have faith and just do it.  Besides vid card my biggest thing I'm going to want is 2TB and 2TB. 

Are peeps still having issues with Windows 11 and Chief?

43 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

What did it feel like when you were watching it?

Just fine, didn't do any RTRT but expect it would be just as always even with that. I get some work with worse symbols and textures if not quite as large as that and do plenty of RTRT. Been happy enough with it. RTRT would briefly peg the GPU usage to 100% then drop (as long as cap live samples is checked) and use between 50 and 65% of the GPU memory.

2 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

I have 3 monitors and use two for Chief regularly but always use the ALDO and PB and Library on the other screens now that it seems that particular issue is gone,

( Scrambled toolbars) at least for me.

Windows PowerToys (PT)  has Fancy Zones which similar to Ultra-Mon. and also lets you use Multi Monitor Configs now... but I use PT for the Image Resizer mostly , which the Author had re-inserted into the Modern Powertoys about 2 years ago....  PT is now on Git-HUB since M$ now owns it.

M.

1 hour ago, Doug_N said:

The PS is a Seasonic Focus Plus 850W

make sure you Check their CDN Warranty / RMA .... I see a number of  reports on this PS , with High performance Videocards causing Power-offs

though they supposedly fixed the issue......

M.

4 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

I wish I had the know-how AND time to do that myself

Perhaps consider the company Mark got his at AVA-Direct , I am sure he can give you the skinny.....

the system will be far more upgradeable that anything from Dell going forward....

M .

I used AVAdirect.com. I had an idea of what I wanted and a budget. In the process I talked with Kyle Mizer who helped with availability of parts comparable to what I wanted (quiet performance) if some were big delays or where I only knew a little. Kbird knows a lot of specifics too :)

BTW Ultramon may do what Fancy Zones does but I don't use that script and think PT is likely easier with that. OTOH Fancy Zones does not deal with swapping monitors the way UM does. Windows has something built in but not as effective when you have different resolution monitors as I have.

3 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

Are you building your own system Doug?  I wish I had the know-how AND time to do that myself.  My system is like your old one, I am really bogged down.  I had to take Dropbox off the C drive to gain space, and the only thing I have is Chief really.. and I am still constantly running out of disc space.. which means SLOW.  I was looking at another OOB system, like my Alien, and prices have come down, but still up there.  But something has to give here and I will need to have faith and just do it.  Besides vid card my biggest thing I'm going to want is 2TB and 2TB. 

Are peeps still having issues with Windows 11 and Chief?

Yes I am,  I have always built my own computers, that way I get to choose the case, always a tower with lots of room, and I/O on the front of the case as well as each component from the mfg that I choose.  Plus there is a feeling of accomplishment when it actually works.  The SSD are a big thing here as well, so I am going with one 2TB that will be the operating system and program installs, and the other for data.  Both of them will be PCIe drives for the highest throughput rates.  I am also going to stick with Windows 10 pro for now.  It will be enough of a challenge with the upgraded computer without any other variables sneaking into the mix.