DIMENSIONING CASINGS IN A SECTION VIEW

mtldesigns

Hwy Cheifers,

How do you guys/gals detail casings on doors and windows?  I have a builder whom wants these detailed for a high end house (interior and exterior), and we have these shown on section views..  typical window, typical door, etc.  But even with every box checked in the the dim defaults, I am not able to grab and dimension accurately.   I really don't want to draw these out by hand in a cad detail.  So I am asking, you the pro's.

Are the trim elements all simple flat board stock?  Or are profiled moldings being used?

I'd ask the builder for on-paper examples of what he wants.  Doesn't seem normal to me.  One reason is that profiled moldings differ in width from one molding manufacturer to the next.

2 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

ask the builder for on-paper examples of what he wants

I definitely agree, anything profiled that is called out would have issues at the time of install, for one, like you mentioned, each manufacture is different.

In this case, it is flat stock (Chiefs CA-001 and CS-05).  But he wants it detailed for every circumstance.   Transom over window (mulled), double window (mulled), single window, doors, etc.  I don't need to dim the profile of the lintel in this case, but he wants widths, lengths and extension showed.

molding 1.JPG

5 hours ago, joey_martin said:

You sure he doesn't just need something like this?

Yeah, that's what he's getting.  :-)  I was hoping I could just do a couple elevation views of the windows already in the model, but spent more time trying to figure that out than what it took do to draw as a cad detail.  All done, drawing set is done as well, on to then next design.

WINDOW TRIM.JPG

Who is determining the look?  Is this a builder doing spec-builds?  Has he a client, that is wanting this basic craftsman style?  

Your image shows no extensions for the lintel crown, or the sill.  Is this what your client wants?  It does not meet the basic standards of "craftsman" to do it that way.

I suggest your client spend some time at this web page, and decide on the details, print some images and hand-annotate them, so you can then proceed to do something for him.  https://windsorone.com/idea-gallery/category/craftsman-style/

I've included these pics on drawings in the past to show trim details.  Pics include some stock molding numbers, but I made sure the builder had easy access to supply of them from his preferred supplier.  First pic is of exterior window trim.  I don't dimension extensions, because I trust a trim carpenter can execute things right if seeing the pics first.

2019-09-21_1428.png

Int trim scheme windowS 1.png

Int trim scheme windows.png

Int trim scheme.png

• Like 1