Grooves in walls

RobWhite

Is there a method to building grooves in walls. I am drawings a concrete tilt-up wall system which as a 15mm wide expansion joint plus a 20mm fillet edge on the concrete wall panels. The panels sizes are not symmetrical or an exact grid so I can't use the hatch or grid pattern on the Define Material menu of the wall type. The wall panels are full height but horizontal panel division is wherever my engineer designate the panel size.

I only know how to draw 2D cad lines on the elevations or sections. Be great if there was 3D method of building this in so the elevations automatically generate the physical groove.

image.png.8ad5e6a2ee66ef3a920a8dfbc7337473.png

Any suggestions?

1685850863_Tilt-upPanels.thumb.JPG.dd50d5b9538c01912458606c5e8f172c.JPG

I would make one layer "Caulk Walls" (the thickness of the panels minus the chamfers) and then superimpose 3D Concrete Panel Symbols.  It's basically the same way I build Log Walls.  This is a very specific way of modeling a structure.  

In the case of Concrete Tilt-up Construction I would make the Panels with stretch planes at:

• x = 0 mm
  • y = -40 mm
  • z= 100 mm so that I could stretch them in any direction to match the design.

Note, I only work with Imperial units so my stretch planes would be

• x = 0"
  • y = -3"
  • z = 12"

But you get the idea.  The Panels would be centered on the "Caulk Walls".  Doors and Windows can be inserted into the "Caulk Walls".   That way you only need to place the Panels as needed.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rpadge said:

hmm I tried that, but it doesnt work, it looks like you need a finish layer to cut.

Any reason you couldn’t make the concrete wall 2 layers with the combined of main layer and exterior layer the actual wall thickness.  Then use the wall material region method with say “opening no material” as the finish set to cut existing wall finish sized to your groove to cut that exterior layer showing the notch?

1 hour ago, RobWhite said:

Thanks I will give is a go. Hmmm...no shortcuts! This will be quite time consuming.

No, there aren't any "shortcuts" but once you have the Chamfered Concrete Panels in the Library you will never have to create them again.  Also, defined as Symbols you can change the materials, sizes, etc and include them in a Schedule. 

I save the Solids used to create the Panel Symbols as a special plan so I can easily create variations for unique panels with other indentations.  I have a couple with recessed horizontal bands. 

You will also want to set their "drawing level" to something less than "Walls" so they will block the wall in Plan View.  If you place one panel in a wall you can then transform/replicate to place many panels, spaced so the caulk shows between the panels.  As a matter of preference, I place all doors windows and other openings in the "Caulk Walls" before placing and sizing the Panels.

I've done several Tilt-up Buildings using this technique and it really works quite well.

Once you get the system set up you'll find it's really quick & easy on subsequent projects.  Don't forget to create a Template Plan.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Over simplified version of what I was talking about.  If you need to show the chamfer it will be harder to do as you would have to do it with solids but a solid wall with material regions set to opening no material:

image.thumb.png.5c6dc7fe821da3e35b86b4740d9c3d23.png

To show the chamfer you can make a wider material region that cuts the surface and then place a solid in each location that chamfers and fills in the void to the right shape.  Would take a bit more but not as hard as placing individual panels for modeling it.

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Over simplified version of what I was talking about.  If you need to show the chamfer it will be harder to do as you would have to do it with solids but a solid wall with material regions set to opening no material:

image.thumb.png.5c6dc7fe821da3e35b86b4740d9c3d23.png

To show the chamfer you can make a wider material region that cuts the surface and then place a solid in each location that chamfers and fills in the void to the right shape.  Would take a bit more but not as hard as placing individual panels for modeling it.

image.thumb.png.1c029bbfdb07f968d565275c5002129d.png

Had another second so modeled the other method as well with a 1" wide open no material wall material region and a solid showing the gap and chamfer.  Multiple copy and laid out where ever is wanted.  Have to adjust the solid around openings but another possibility and method other than the great one that @JoeCarrickis showing.

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Here's a sample using my method showing what can be done just by adjusting the dimensions of the Panels.  For the Panel above the Window I just changed it to the "Window Headers" layer so it wouldn't show in the Floor Plan.

Tilt-up Panel Options.JPG

Nicely done Joe ...... looks good.

hopefully this is a fairly simple easily "panelled" Commercial Job....

Mick.