Reverse Ledge Foundation

AndrewSopher

Go to solution Solved by Joe_Carrick,

Hello, 

I was wondering if there is a way to create a reverse ledge in the foundation (walkout basement). I only want the ledge to be 3'' in height and 2'' in depth. It allows us to get the grade higher, as well as allowing the floor to sit flush with the top of wall. I have seen the tutorial for brick ledges on the exterior but nothing for a reverse ledge (facing the interior of the house). This is being used in a walkout basement for reference. Thank you. The attached image is not drawn to scale and is obviously missing a few key elements to the foundation but it is just there for a easy reference. 

reverse ledge cross section 1.jpeg

The only problem with using a pony wall is that I already have a pony wall set up because it is a walkout basement and I want the top part of the wall to be siding, while the bottom is the foundation wall. I am using x13, I am just not under my companies profile which is why it shows that. My apologies. 

10 minutes ago, javatom said:

Open the wall and check "pony wall".  Make the top wall a 6" wall and the bottom wall 8".

Cannot change it to a pony wall because I already am using a pony wall to create a walkout basement (stepped foundation). Upper half is siding and lower half below the grade is the foundation wall. 

• Solution
5 minutes ago, AndrewSopher said:

Cannot change it to a pony wall because I already am using a pony wall to create a walkout basement (stepped foundation). Upper half is siding and lower half below the grade is the foundation wall. 

This is the problem with using "Floor Level 0" as the "Walkout Basement".

If you insert another Floor and make "Floor Level 1" the "Walkout Basement" you will be able to add the Pony Wall to "Floor Level 0" which should be reserved as the "Foundation".  Using this scenario:

• Floor Level 0 = "Foundation"
  • Floor Level 1 = "Walkout Basement"
  • Floor Level 2 = "1st / Main Floor"
  • Floor Level 3 = "2nd / Upper Floor"

I also have another Floor below the "Attic" which is usually just 1/16" tall but allows rooms to be defined at that level.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

This is the problem with using "Floor Level 0" as the "Walkout Basement".

If you insert another Floor and make "Floor Level 1" the "Walkout Basement" you will be able to add the Pony Wall to "Floor Level 0" which should be reserved as the "Foundation".  Using this scenario:

• Floor Level 0 = "Foundation"
  • Floor Level 1 = "Walkout Basement"
  • Floor Level 2 = "1st / Main Floor"
  • Floor Level 3 = "2nd / Upper Floor"

I also have another Floor below the "Attic" which is usually just 1/16" tall but allows rooms to be defined at that level.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for helping. For the brick ledge (floor level zero in your example) Would I just do another pony wall, top wall 6" and bottom wall 8''?

1 minute ago, AndrewSopher said:

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for helping. For the brick ledge (floor level zero in your example) Would I just do another pony wall, top wall 6" and bottom wall 8''?

Exactly.

Another possibility would be to specify a -3" height 6" wide curb.  I'm not sure if that would work but maybe.....

• 1 year later...

Chief 15X Created Foundation Pony Wall Upper Wall 5 1/2" /Lower Wall 10" Elevation of Lower Wall Top -26 1/8" to allow for plate and 11 7/8" I Joist.  

Lower Wall Layers (complies with OBC Sect.9) You will have to adjust the elevation of the lower wall top depending on the floor joist specifications. 

Lower Wall Specifications for my code

#1 Damp proofing 1/16-1/8" 

#2 Concrete 10"

#3 Air Space (code) 1"

#4 3 1/2 Stud Framing

#5 1/2" WB

1547749409_RLFOUNDATION.thumb.jpg.010d9949bc18b9d30526ec6f70ff8a2c.jpg

11 minutes ago, chiefuserids said:

Chief 15X Created Foundation Pony Wall Upper Wall 5 1/2" /Lower Wall 10" Elevation of Lower Wall Top -26 1/8" to allow for plate and 11 7/8" I Joist.  

Lower Wall Layers (complies with OBC Sect.9) You will have to adjust the elevation of the lower wall top depending on the floor joist specifications. 

Lower Wall Specifications for my code

#1 Damp proofing 1/16-1/8" 

#2 Concrete 10"

#3 Air Space (code) 1"

#4 3 1/2 Stud Framing

#5 1/2" WB

1547749409_RLFOUNDATION.thumb.jpg.010d9949bc18b9d30526ec6f70ff8a2c.jpg

Did you put the foundation on level 0 and the lower level/exposure on level 1?