The real square footage

Alchemyjim

Hello everyone,

When creating the as-built model and getting the actual living area it often conflicts with the listed living area on the property title. This happens for lots of reasons but it is usually because at some point an assessor measured the exterior and came up with a number. It can be a few feet to a few dozen off. 

The question is what do you list on your plans in this situation? The building department checks and if your number does not match the title they bring it up. So do you get it changed or just show it as listed?

I've run into a few instances where the floor area ratio is tight and a few feet makes a big difference.

Just curious how everyone deals with that.

Living Area may be different for a variety of reasons:

• Unspecified space (shafts, etc) are not included as "Living Area"
  • Garages, etc are not included as "Living Area"

Standard Area is a better representation of the area of a building - it's typically measured to the exterior face of the walls.

OTOH, using 2D CAD Polylines as the object to use for area when performing FAR, Site Coverage, Impermeable/Permeable, etc gives you much more flexibility.  That way you can easily match what might have been indicated by an assessor or surveyor.

I agree with Joe Carrick and I add this:

I always check to see if Im close on the square footage after I do the as-built just to see if I may have someing wrong but most of the time is pretty close.
I also always jut put in what is recorded becasue I dont want to open a can of worms and try to fix it becasue its a waste of time. On the new area I calculate to exterior of the framing as per required by the cities that I work in.

Note:
Unlike Joe I dont measure to the exterior finish, I measure to the exterior rough framing for square footage. It's funny how this doesnt seem to be a standard accross the board with all cities and architects.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Unlike Joe I dont measure to the exterior finish, I measure to the exterior rough framing for square footage.

Actually, I also measure to the exterior (wall dimension line).  I didn't mean to imply the "Finish Face".  The Exterior Room Polyline will provide this.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, CharlesVolz said:

The new 2021 version is copyrighted, but you can buy it HERE in electronic PDF for $25.

BTW, ANSI measures to the exterior surface (cladding) of the exterior walls and includes the stair area on both floors.

Best,

Charles

To me it seems silly to include the stair area for both floors but I dont make the rules.

There are many "official" methods for SQFT living area

depends on the agency asking 

for 15 years I have suggested that Chief create a schedule listing the most common ones

then the user can use the desired info

best to contact the planning dept and inquire which "official" method they use

then to get Chief to match it 

Lew

It seems that the areas of buildings and lots most always differ, depending on the source. I use the following explanation in my 'building and zoning data';

FINISHED SQUARE FOOTAGE OF BUILDING CALCULATED USING ANSI METHOD WITH ASSESSOR MAPS AND DATA ALSO INTEGRATED. SQUARE FOOTAGE OF STRUCTURES, OR LOT SIZE, MAY VARY AND ARE NOT GUARANTEED.

I have never had a plan kicked back for a minor discrepancy in these numbers...yet!

Steve

• Upvote 1