Easiest Way To Create A Circular Stair?

dbkb0227

There are some in the Library but they are limited in the n umber of treads and generally don't provide an accurate portrayal.  I have a system where I use all the components which I've created as symbols to "build" a spiral stair of whatever size I need.  Putting it together basically requires:

1.  Center Post

2.  30 degree Tread

3.  Riser (if needed)

4.  Baluster(s)

5.  30 degree section of Handrail

6.  Landing & maybe a Landing Railing Section.

I combining these elements and then use "Transform Replicate" to copy/repeat/rotate to get the right number of Tread Sections with railings.  I then convert the entire assembly into a symbol which can be stretched or compressed to fit the exact floor to floor height and diameter.  It's a bit of work, but once done the resulting symbol can be used for future similar configurations.  If the number of treads and risers needs to be changed I just repeat the process and I have a new Spiral Stair.

btw, I have several different railing and tread/riser symbols that I can use to build spiral stairs.

post-47-0-40176900-1420829018_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-11220500-1420829099_thumb.jpg

Thanks everybody.....I will give it a shot. I also tried creating a spiral stair starting with a curved set of stairs. I adjusted the height from floor to floor and then made a few other adjustments to the radius etc. It seemed to work pretty good. Just another option for this topic

Thanks everybody.....I will give it a shot. I also tried creating a spiral stair starting with a curved set of stairs. I adjusted the height from floor to floor and then made a few other adjustments to the radius etc. It seemed to work pretty good. Just another option for this topic

The biggest problem with that is that it can't be 360 degrees or more and the handrail flexibility is very limited.

The biggest problem with that is that it can't be 360 degrees or more and the handrail flexibility is very limited.

Joe, that is possible. Not chief's problem but poor programming. Simply drag slowly at least 4 times by dragging the tail towards the head until it coincides. Drag once and when you see the curve constricting,stop and widen the diameter again repeat this step maximum 4 times. Take care to follow the the circumference of the circular path or initially draw a cad circle not to miss the path. Finaaly you will get it done. Cross check this by changing the curved stair to strait one using the usual command. Then you will c an extra ordinary stair with zero length. That is a proof you made the 360 degree move!

Yusuf,

I didn't fully understand when you posted this solution earlier, but it makes sense now.  How did you ever figure that out?

Joe,

I like your approach. It works very well with the kit spirals.

Bill, some findings are accidental while searching for one thing you may arrive to unintended perfect solutions.

I was simply checking to what extent I can get closer to the 360 degree and it closed. Then proceeded experimenting how exactly it could work.

That is how reached to conclude the above instructions step by step. Did you tried it?

By the way in the old forum I remember you were the first person to find the relation ship between roofs and cad plines. That was great inspiration to get in to experimenting chiefs hidden capabilities. Doug must get involved here and explain why this simple issue had not been solved for all this time. I feel still the current capability of ca is still mystery even for it's founders and engineers. They did a very powerful drafting and 3d modelling software that I believe its deficiencies are not exactly the real ones that should exist. If had a programming knowledge I would help identify the lines that needs re arrangements in the existing programs.

I like this software because always I find new ways to do the things I do.

My position regarding the potential capabilities of chief is that it can beat even the BIM apps if time is spent on analysis of hidden powers.

• Upvote 1

Well said Yusuf.

I too have been inspired by resourceful users such as

Bill and yourself. The way I see it there are grinders like

Edison and there are visionaries like Tesla. I think the

same is true of Chief users. I often think the people who

come on here and bemoan the perceived shortcomings

of the software would be better served by applying the

same zeal to finding creative approaches to solving their

problems. Then when the existing bugs do get ironed out

they will be perfectly positioned to get the most out of the

program. I gave you a gold star for that post.   

Yusuf,

I watched your video.  360 degrees - yes, but more than 360 degrees - no.  The problem with spiral stairs is that to meet code requirements for minimum tread size and maximum riser height is that for anything over 8' you have to have 13 treads and they can't be less than 30 degrees per tread.  IOW, 390 degrees minimum.

Thanks Joe.

I am not offending but chief is smarter than its creators by default,or they are hiding that parts for some reason! I repeat this is for Doug.

Joe in the same way as the video it is possible even more than 30degree angle regarding the 360 closure.

I believe there is a lot more undiscovered capabilities of ca.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Thanks Joe.

I am not offending but chief is smarter than its creators by default,or they are hiding that parts for some reason! I repeat this is for Doug.

Joe in the same way as the video it is possible even more than 30degree angle regarding the 360 closure.

I believe there is a lot more undiscovered capabilities of ca.

Thanks

True! Doug gone it. Never give up sir ca

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4504-the-stair-revolution/