Hi All,

"Roof Beams Appear as Solid Timbers not I-Beams as Preferred."

I have a small insignificant detail problem that I wish to resolve and wonder if anyone has a Tip or Trick to fixing the fact that my Steel I Beams show up perfectly in my Posts and Deck patio beams but not in my roof beams.

I have changed all of my defaults to I Beams in my settings to no avail, just curious if this a detail I will have to learn to live with or a glitch in Chief?

Also I would like my I beams to show in the interior walls and imagine in order for this to happen I will need to create a niche and paint it black steel? Correct?

Please see attached image.

Thank you in advance,

John

Modders ADU Plan V3.plan

4 minutes ago, TimelessJohn said:

Hi All,

I have a small insignificant detail problem that I wish to resolve and wonder if anyone has a Tip or Trick to fixing the fact that my Steel I Beams show up perfectly in my Posts and Deck patio beams but not in my roof beams.

I have changed all of my defaults to I Beams in my settings to no avail, just curious if this a detail I will have to learn to live with or a glitch in Chief?

Also I would like my I beams to show in the interior walls and imagine in order for this to happen I will need to create a niche and paint it black steel? Correct?

Please see attached image.

Thank you in advance,

John

Modders ADU Plan V3.plan 11.96 MB · 2 downloads

Can you please post a pic of what you are looking for with the "niche" or "show in the interior walls".

John are your referring to the roof rafters over the main structure (Great Rm) ?

I think this may be a display glitch in X13.  Did you test this in X12 ?

The cross section is correct but the issue is clear with a framing view.

image.thumb.png.0a5afaeab3145bad741cacbe65003478.png

43 minutes ago, TimelessJohn said:

Your default settings for Roof Beams: 

image.thumb.png.9e22b36f9644b7507d3259af264c2332.png

What you are using in the plan is rafters and Ceiling beams.

What happens when I change it to roof beams and set it to an I-beam in defaults:

image.thumb.png.edd530df4c5f7555dba1c03db1c902ec.png

image.thumb.png.cd21cf0f65e01a502aec1eb6e29036f9.png

This pic shows roof rafters set to i-beams and a new one drawn in.  

BTW your roof settings are not ideal.  and by default your layer sets have roof beams turned off.

8 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

John are your referring to the roof rafters over the main structure (Great Rm) ?

I think this may be a display glitch in X13.  Did you test this in X12 ?

The cross section is correct but the issue is clear with a framing view.

image.thumb.png.0a5afaeab3145bad741cacbe65003478.png

Not a glitch.  It is set to use that profile as a rafter tail.  Look what happens after the rafter tail is removed:

image.thumb.png.345d8a386913aca3a20af8fe0554d027.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Not a glitch.  It is set to use that profile as a rafter tail.  Look what happens after the rafter tail is removed:

Ok then maybe not the glitch I was initially thinking but don't tell a union steel worker he can't profile an I beam.  What is up with that ?

4 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Ok then maybe not the glitch I was initially thinking but don't tell a union steel worker he can't profile an I beam.  What is up with that ?

I think you may still be able to do it but you need a different profile instead of a block one maybe?? I dunno didn't have time to dive into that.  it does still cut plumb or straight though.

6 minutes ago, rgardner said:

I think you may still be able to do it but you need a different profile instead of a block one maybe??

Humm....    Maybe even more difficult than profiling a roof truss then.    More play required I guess.