5k vs 4k vs 2.5k Screen resolution for Chief work

rgardner

New Monitor suggestions (Yes I searched and read everything first)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Twin or Single large format Monitor

• 32" twin monitors
    • 43" Single monitor
    • 49" Ultra-wide curved
    • Other size (please share in comments)
  2. 2. 4k or 2.5k

• 1080p

On 3/29/2022 at 8:27 PM, Kbird1 said:

I did try 4K monitors before the BenQs but found everything including text "too small" with my eyesight and the need for Glasses, for both Computers and Reading now and no doubt driving sooner or later :)

That's exactly what I was wondering. Right now my main monitor is an older 27" BenQ, plus an even older HP second monoitor. I plan to buy another 27" BenQ and use the current one as my second monitor. From what you are saying, I think I'll pass on 4K

8 minutes ago, vikiw_bend said:

That's exactly what I was wondering. Right now my main monitor is an older 27" BenQ, plus an even older HP second monoitor. I plan to buy another 27" BenQ and use the current one as my second monitor. From what you are saying, I think I'll pass on 4K

If you have the Room I could definitely recommend a Pair of 32" BenQ 1440p monitors, ( use current as a third for email, etc )

also recommended over in this thread too.... but it does come in a 27" version too.

https://www.benq.com/en-ca/monitor/designer/pd3200q.html

I use to have two 22" flat screens then when I got the new computer I just got the single 32" curve screen.  I thought it would be enough but now I miss having two screens. I really love the curve screen, when I look back at a flat screen it looks off to me.  I looked into the 4k and the ultra wides but didnt know enough about them to make a decision at the time I needed to buy.  Next time around Im going bigger is better.  My only thing that I noticed is when you use the two separate monitors I was always having to double click to get the camera to go to what view I was in.  I had one monitor on 2d the other on 3d.

Question for those who have the ultra wide and large screens.... whats the difference between a huge 55" screen and lets say the same size but ultra wide?  is there a benefit to either? Is it easier having one big screen with separate windows for views or two seperate monitors?

Now I figure is the best time for me to get the facts while the conversation is up and running!:P

I always go for the highest DPI I can get for the size monitor I deem most suitable for my work and set text scaling as required for good UI size fonts as this gives the sharpest looking text and details and reduces eye strain. 

Text scaling on Windows has improved vastly over recent years and support for this font scaling in modern applications is now generally good and even for mixed font scaling across multiple monitors its getting a lot better.  It's only older or poorly written applications which will have a fuzzy look when using Windows text scaling, everything else will benefit from more pixels per character/inch.

As most 43" are only 4K resolution (102.5 DPI at 4K) I am currently using 3 x 32" 4K and 3 x 27" 4K (recently upgraded from lower res) which are 137.7 DPI and 163.2 DPI respectively.  These are at 125% and 150% text scaling which gives near identical real world text size for the same font as 137.7 /125 * 150 = 165.24 and text on both is notable sharper than the 96 DPI monitors used to aim for.

I work mostly in software development and appreciate Chief users may benefit from a 43"+ monitor, but sharper text and details is a benefit that's often overlooked.  I recommend two or even three 32" 4/5K monitors to friends when asked about higher end setups (three is nice with one in the middle).  I have tried 43" and larger but the lower DPI at the moment and large size make multiple monitor setups difficult and impacts off angle colours/brightness even with IPS screens, whereas arranging smaller monitors around you gives higher DPI and a more consistent focal length which is easier on my older eyes.

• 11 months later...

Just to add to an old thread in case someone wants to upgrade to a 3090 video card. TV's, even at 4k will not communicate with the 3090. I gave my 3090 to my son and put my 3080 back in so I can get things working again. We spent a lot of time testing and trying different settings trying to get it to work until we finally found out it was the 4k TV's. the 3090 wants true computer monitors to work. From reading this thread, I see that many of you have TV's and many have computer monitors. Just letting you know in case you purchase a 3090, you might not be able to get it working with TV's.

• Upvote 1

The pictures attached show my setup.  I use a 32" center monitor flanked by two 24s.  Having a center monitor is ideal for neck comfort, where having only two with the center bezels directly in front is going to cause neck, shoulder and back strain.

20230401_172618.jpg

20230401_172904.jpg

20230401_172901.jpg