5k vs 4k vs 2.5k Screen resolution for Chief work

rgardner

New Monitor suggestions (Yes I searched and read everything first)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Twin or Single large format Monitor

• 32" twin monitors
    • 43" Single monitor
    • 49" Ultra-wide curved
    • Other size (please share in comments)
  2. 2. 4k or 2.5k

• 1080p

I know this is an age old and heavily discussed topic on here.  I have already searched and searched and read all the reviews, unfortunately most of the information is a few years old and technology has come a long way in that time.  So I am asking for some advice and opinions.  Everyone's system works best for them. 

The short.  I am planning on either going to one large screen or twin med-large screens with my new Mac Studio (please hold back the apple comments as this is what I choose for me and my business.)   This new computer is very capable and can run up to 6 6k screens so the gpu portion of things is not a factor.

As my signature says I currently use a Samsung 32" curved 1080p main monitor and a LG 25" ultra-wide installed in portrait mode for all my other programs.  I primarily use chief for all of my work, I do not do any gaming, very seldomly watch videos other than youtube instructional videos.  I use it for video conferencing but nothing strenuous.  I currently have decent eyes but you know how that goes down over coming years.  I have never worked with 4k other than my laptop which is a 16" screen so not as much of a comparison.  Do you who use 4k monitors like it, would you do it again.  Anyone try it and find it too small for everything else?

I really like the curved so am considering finding some 4k curved 32" and going with twin 32" monitors.  Leaning towards BenQ as I have heard alot of good about them. But i have also been looking at maybe a single 43" 4k. or even the ultra-wide 49" curved screens that are out there.

So please share your recommendations. 

I use a 55" 4K TV for Chief (Library Browser at left side and Project Browser at right side.

I use at least (1) 32" monitor for "edit dialogs", Internet, email & other programs.   I find it's an advantage to have those separate, so my Plan & Layout are not obscured.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I use a 55" 4K TV for Chief (Library Browser at left side and Project Browser at right side.

I use at least (1) 32" monitor for "edit dialogs", Internet, email & other programs.   I find it's an advantage to have those separate, so my Plan & Layout are not obscured.

Hey Joe, I'm curious how you have that 55" TV set up? How far from your keyboard/seating position? Seems like that location might good for the 55" but far away for the 32"? Or vice versa? Trying to imagine a 55" where my (3) monitors are now. Oh yeah which 55" if you don't mind?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Hey Joe, I'm curious how you have that 55" TV set up? How far from your keyboard/seating position? Seems like that location might good for the 55" but far away for the 32"? Or vice versa? Trying to imagine a 55" where my (3) monitors are now.

Hi Larry,

I have them all at about 40" from my face.  It works pretty well for me but I have perfect vision due to occular implants.  Actually with all the implants I have I sometimes refer to myself as a "Borg in Transition". ;)

Distance is somewhat irrelevant since you can adjust the resolution and/or scale of apps to suit.

I had initially intended to use a vertical 32" monitor on each side and put the Chief Browsers on them so I could get the maximum full sheet size on the 55" TV.  However, I found that with the Toolbars I was limited by the height of the TV and the Browsers fit fine without reducing the size of the Plan/Layout.

Here's my screen with a 30x48 drawing sheet.

My 55 inch TV Screen w Chief.JPG

• Like 1

Good stuff everyone! Thank you all for taking the time to comment.

One thing that I forgot to mention that I don't believe works with PCs is that with mac there is a built in ability to have several screens setup on the same monitor and with a swipe on their trackpad or mouse or with a hotkey you can quickly flip that same monitor from one screen to the other. So If I need to research something for example I can leave chief where it is hit my hotkey I have on my mouse and flip over a few screens to where I have my browser up and running and do my research.  That works well for most things but the only hesitation I have about going to a single screen is when I am doing an as-built plan where I need to constantly consult a pdf or pictures to get the accuracy on the as-built model.  That I usually place on my second screen so I can see both at the same time.  The downside to that currently is that I have to dock my ALDO, LB, & PB or move things around in order to have all of it on my second monitor.  Any issues with that type of thing on your single screens?

48 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Good stuff everyone! Thank you all for taking the time to comment.

One thing that I forgot to mention that I don't believe works with PCs is that with mac there is a built in ability to have several screens setup on the same monitor and with a swipe on their trackpad or mouse or with a hotkey you can quickly flip that same monitor from one screen to the other. So If I need to research something for example I can leave chief where it is hit my hotkey I have on my mouse and flip over a few screens to where I have my browser up and running and do my research.  That works well for most things but the only hesitation I have about going to a single screen is when I am doing an as-built plan where I need to constantly consult a pdf or pictures to get the accuracy on the as-built model.  That I usually place on my second screen so I can see both at the same time.  The downside to that currently is that I have to dock my ALDO, LB, & PB or move things around in order to have all of it on my second monitor.  Any issues with that type of thing on your single screens?

There are all sorts of window managers that can do any number of things with screens, but for your question, why aren’t you dropping in your pdf into Chief? Also have you checked out my pdf Photoshop actions?

4 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

There are all sorts of window managers that can do any number of things with screens, but for your question, why aren’t you dropping in your pdf into Chief? Also have you checked out my pdf Photoshop actions?

I do drop some pdfs in but in particular one account that is more technically challenged provides measures and uploads a pdf that is not very clean when imported into chief and blown up.  I know it has to do with the dpi.  With the nature of that account's work I have to consult the pdf on a very regular basis and it is just easier to zoom in and out of that on the secondary display and not leave my location on chief for it.  I am not referring to a pdf of a floor plan for example.  Those obviously I import and draw over it.

59 minutes ago, Chief_QA said:

Windows has that as well, you can have multiple desktops and switch between them.

Good to know.  Thanks.  Again not debating Mac vs. PC just trying to offer a glimpse at my workflow so I can get the most out of all this valuable information before dropping some more coin on new monitors.

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Hi Larry,

I have them all at about 40" from my face.  It works pretty well for me but I have perfect vision due to occular implants.  Actually with all the implants I have I sometimes refer to myself as a "Borg in Transition". ;)

Distance is somewhat irrelevant since you can adjust the resolution and/or scale of apps to suit.

Hay ,Joe, i also have the implants but near vision suffers, need glasses

7 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Hay ,Joe, i also have the implants but near vision suffers, need glasses

I got the "Smart Lens Implants",  correction for distance & for 24"-48" (computer work) near vision specifically.  I only need reading glasses for reading closer than 18".  I can see a golf ball at 200 yds as well as everything on my computer monitors.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I got the "Smart Lens Implants",  correction for distance & for 24"-48" (computer work) near vision specifically.  I only need reading glasses for reading closer than 18".  I can see a golf ball at 200 yds as well as everything on my computer monitors.

Yep ,I got the cheap ones, distance vision only, wish I could do it again.

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Yep ,I got the cheap ones, distance vision only, wish I could do it again.

I don't know if that's possible or not.  I don't see why it couldn't be done but I suspect it wouldn't be cheap.

In my case I was developing cataracts so I really needed to have the proceedure.

3 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Hi Larry,

THANKS JOE!

1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I don't know if that's possible or not.  I don't see why it couldn't be done but I suspect it wouldn't be cheap.

In my case I was developing cataracts so I really needed to have the proceedure.

I did have cataracts but the latest and greatest was 5000 per eye extra so I went cheap

(3) x 32" BENQ (Flat) 2560 x 1440p CAD/CAM monitors (BL3200) for me , the newer models have built-in KVM etc which would be nice .......

Tried the Dell 32" 1440p curved last year and was sent 2 Bad units and it took 4 1/2 months to get my money back... never again ...

All on a custom 30" x 84" Desk I built......

I did try 4K monitors before the BenQs but found everything including text "too small" with my eyesight and the need for Glasses, for both Computers and Reading now and no doubt driving sooner or later :)

* newer model is the BENQ PD3200Q

https://www.benq.com/monitor/designer/pd3200q.html

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

(3) x 32" BENQ (Flat) 2560 x 1440p CAD/CAM monitors (BL3200) for me , the newer models have built-in KVM etc which would be nice .......

Tried the Dell 32" 1440p curved last year and was sent 2 Bad units and it took 4 1/2 months to get my money back... never again ...

All on a custom 30" x 84" Desk I built......

I did try 4K monitors before the BenQs but found everything including text "too small" with my eyesight and the need for Glasses, for both Computers and Reading now and no doubt driving sooner or later :)

I have dual 27" BENQ 2560x1440, I'm very happy with them.  I agree, 4K at that size causes the text to be too small 

• Like 1

So many variables to consider...

Every person's eyesight is going to be different than the next.  The older folks will want larger screens where the younger are good on a 17" laptop.

4k res, (natively) will have very small fonts, they can be adjusted in Windows and even CA, but sometimes lose 'crispness', if that's a word.  You will see similar in 2k, just not as small.

Also, how close are you sitting at monitor(s)?

I have a client who quarters off his 50" monitor and when I work on it. I have to crane my neck up quite a bit, which I think would cause pain, even eventual long term issues.

Most of my clients are running dual 27s and they seem to be ok.  I'm 51 and run dual 32s at 2k with a 27incher on the side for my camera systems.  I'm sure the 27 is 1080p.  All are at good arms length and I can and unfortunately look at these all day with no issues to eyes or neck.

Lastly, running a computer\laptop\GPU at max 4k or even 5k, when it may not be needed, over taxes your machine, runs hotter, which could shorten life of the machine and\or components.

If and when needed do your walkthroughs in high rez and present them to clients on a large beautiful monitor\TV...

:)

JSnell

34 minutes ago, 65Shelby said:

4k res, (natively) will have very small fonts, they can be adjusted in Windows and even CA, but sometimes lose 'crispness', if that's a word.

When using font scaling above 100% characters should be crisper not fuzzy as they're made of more pixels. However sadly some application don't correctly support scaling properly and hence Windows just scales all the existing GUI which gives it the fuzzy appearance.  This can be overridden on a per application basis but if the application doesn't allow larger fonts to be used for its GUI then this reverts to the original small fonts issue.

I currently run 4 x 32" 4K monitors at 125% scaling plus a couple of 27" 2560x1440 at 100%.  This is so I can develop software and easily test for scaling issues.  This give a worse case scenario of mixing scaling settings but since I started doing this a couple of years back I've noticed that many modern applications handle non 100% scaling fine and the best manage the mixed scaling (dragging between different monitors with different text scaling) as well.     

For my other PCs/laptops I always go for all high DPI monitors as the sharpness is so easy on the eye.  I've tried 40 - 45" monitors but they were all 4K resolution so for me that size is one for when 8K is a viable option.

I use three 27"; one 4k and two 2K. Primary set in corner on angle with flanking at 45degrees to it. All about 25" from my nose at eye level. Had some neck issues in the past and this solved it. 

Got the 4K thinking text would be clearer-not once scaled so that sits to the left and just holds email, Your Phone,m, Directory Opus file manager, and Legal billing job timer. Center is a Benq PD2700Q 2k, other two are Dell. They were cheaper and had smaller bezels, wish I'd gotten PD2700 instead. Work on the center, right one is extra Chief, Bluebeam ( I get lots of reference PDFs and sample plans), web browser and Xnview (reference photos) each as needed all at full screen OR split to left or right depending.

I move any as needed with a keyboard either to other monitors or to split screen using UltraMon (though have Display Fusion) Center screen taskbar shows icons for all active windows while side windows only show what's on them. Occasionally but rarely will span two monitors with a window.

Unlike many I keep the ALDO, LB, and PB docked to the main. I'd undock them if they would stay together with tabs. If I really need more real estate I drag off a window to second monitor and swap them. That only gets the Aldo and it can be closed without affecting the main screen, then swap their monitors.

Eyes-Been wearing trifocals for decades but this year also got a set of bifocals top for computer and bottom for reading. Wish I'd gotten those years ago. Only problem with them is when I forget to change glasses and get up to go into other room, bumping off walls :)

When I had the studio and met with clients I ran four (though the my sketchy memory wants to say sometimes 5?). 17" laptop, Benq 27, a 24 taller than normal, a 15" display link via USB and a 40 something TV. I don't think I could last long working on the TV. At under a pound, 3/4" thick; I take the 15" display link when traveling and always wish I had a third monitor.

• Like 1