I Am Getting Tired Of Fighting Chief's Automated Walls! (Please Help)

4hotshoez

The spaces shown in the image need to be open from 8 ft to the vaulted ceiling above, but the middle (shower) space needs a 12 thick ceiling over the top with open above. I had tried so many work around's that I cannot even to begin list them all. I want the ceiling to be cleaned up without the automated walls, that I do not want, cutting in. I want the lights and fan box to be in the lower ceiling, which is now a polyline solid because a soffit would not float over top of the walls. The light can be lowered but it is sloped to the vaulted ceiling rather than flat. I have tried a floor, but the sides show as open. At one point it was a two story space open to below, but I needed balloon the walls through to accept a mulled window that extends above the first floor. after changing that stuff began falling apart again. Are the walls TOO smart for our own good?

post-2194-0-12031800-1420814934_thumb.png

Pintemp01.plan

Todd,

There are relatively easy ways of solving this.  One of the first things I would do would be to create a dummy floor about 1" high directly above and set it as open below.  That will eliminate the wall intersections at the cathedral ceiling.  The Shower can be done with specific wall types and aspecial opening (doorway) with a "No Room Definition" Wall inserted into the opening.  I'm sure Scott is perfectly capable of making these changes very quickly.

It's really a matter of knowing the tricks. 

Have you tried having the rooms have no ceilings and then adding one ceiling plane to the entire space and making the ceiling of the shower a polysolid and finally changing the distance from ceiling of the light fixtures to fit.  If it still messes with the ceiling plane have you tried making the 8' walls 8' high half walls.

I have tried all of that. Making half walls leaves no header over the doors, which what I did for the shower door and wall (that works fine for that application).

Todd,

There are relatively easy ways of solving this.  One of the first things I would do would be to create a dummy floor about 1" high directly above and set it as open below.  That will eliminate the wall intersections at the cathedral ceiling.  The Shower can be done with specific wall types and aspecial opening (doorway) with a "No Room Definition" Wall inserted into the opening.  I'm sure Scott is perfectly capable of making these changes very quickly.

It's really a matter of knowing the tricks. 

Where is the "dummy floor" button? 

Just add a Floor and set the height to 1".  I also use this technique for "Interstitial Space".  Sometimes that's just a 24"-60" space between habitable floors dedicated to utilities. 

Accually I figured that one out months ago when I created this room, but so much has changed that the walls used to create the floor where taller and got in the way of the upper window. Making them 1" seems to work. BUT now all the recessed cans are not sloped or on the vaulted ceiling. How do you deal with that? have "dummy" 3D lights and 2D plan lights?

Todd,

Copy all those lights to the "dummy floor" which is actually the floor that has the vaulted ceiling.  Then delete them from the floor below.

Like you said but kept both. One for the lighting plan and one for 3D using different layers.

Thanks for your help. I was close to solving it but to frustrated to know how close I was.

Scott, I will be looking at your videos too.

To cut a long story short It looks like a ceiling plane issue to me and if one was placed in you could sovle most of these difficulties.

Todd have you seen any of the training videos on ceiling planes as these might have saved you allot of time, that is of course if you knew about them in the first place?

Todd's mess videos....

PART 1

http://youtu.be/EjJfbO5XkrM

PART 2

http://youtu.be/6ncqtqPD0eI

not bad vids,  been done many times before,  if you are bored might be worth watching.

Thanks Scott, I finally sat through the whole thing and learned lots! Thanks for spending the time to make that. It was entertaining too.