Sudden and seemingly unprovoked lag

DeLayDesign

Go to solution Solved by DeLayDesign,

I've updated my chief to the latest verson.  My Geforce RTX 3080 is up to date, but for some reason in this one drawing anytime I do anything to the drawing in 3D I get lag!  No matter what mode I'm in.  It will process for 20-30 seconds at a time and sometimes longer.

I've reached out to Chief to see what the issue might be, but does anyone have any recommendations.  I promise I don't have anything crazy in the plans or a lot of materials.

It's so frustrating!

Potentially a high poly symbol or material that was added ?  Check your "surfaces" count in the middle of the status bar in an active 3D view.

Then check what it is in a backup plan file from yesterday.

Check the overall file size as in comparison to the backup.

Also sometimes things just get fowled up and a "Save As" will reduce the file size a resolve the situation.

Surprising no recommendations from tech support especially if you provided a copy of the file ?

I assume that RTX 3080 is in a new computer but knowing the specs and the size of the plan file would be a big help.

It just doesn't make sense.  I was working on the plans for about two hours, then suddenly the issue started.  I've drawn 10,000+ sq. ft. homes without this issue in the past... this house isn't anywhere near that size and isn't as complex, so what the heck is going on!?

God I hope Chief has the answer.

... development - I think it's an 'arched' wall I have in the plans.  When I deleted the arched wall the plan seems to not lag as long.  I still get about 5 seconds worth of lag, but not anywhere near the 20-40 seconds I was with the wall in there... Coincidence? 

Copy the plan and start deleting symbols to see if that helps at some point.  You can also try turning off all labels especially framing labels to see if it makes a difference.  Most likely it is a corrupt or high poly count symbol 

• Solution

I took a more drastic approach.

I uninstalled Chief 23.4.0.12(the newest update) and re-installed the previous version (23.3.0.81)... and all the issues I had went away.  I now have zero lag!

I have informed Chief about the issue.  I think they may need to issue a patch, but I'm going to stick to 23.3.0.81 until they can confirm the issue is resolved.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Recently, I have found that using roof trusses may cause extreme lag, as well as automatic roof framing. Especially bad if those 2 are combined, and of course it depends on the complexity.

I'd be willing to examine your plan file to see if I can find the issue...especially seeing as I have not yet installed the newest update. It's sitting in downloads and now you've got me nervous!

On 3/27/2022 at 6:43 AM, robdyck said:

Recently, I have found that using roof trusses may cause extreme lag, as well as automatic roof framing. Especially bad if those 2 are combined, and of course it depends on the complexity.

I'd be willing to examine your plan file to see if I can find the issue...especially seeing as I have not yet installed the newest update. It's sitting in downloads and now you've got me nervous!

Nothing much changed for me here with the new update, basically I still have the same Issues and once again had to uninstall MSoft Update KB KB5011487 (and the newer KB5011543) to stop the Save Lock-Out Bug occurring with the new update as well.

Mick.

This thread may be of interest...

Un-do re-do settings in Chief are often set to 50 by default.  Not saying that this is the problem with what the OP described... but any large plan file (with many 3d objects) will move much faster and without lag if you don't mind working with a smaller safety net - meaning only a couple of undos instead of 50. 

Before computers came with massive amounts of memory, the culprit to lag time was often the amount of undo/redo's which one had set the preferences to. A small cottage would be negligible in terms of how much lag would be apparent, but a large project is a different story. 

We will look into Adam's bug report to see if there is something in the 23.4 update causing the slow downs.  Hopefully, he has sent us all of the needed plan files as well as some information about what he is doing so we can reproduce the problems.

For anyone else that is experiencing general slowdowns in camera views, I recommend this tech article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00521/troubleshooting-slowness-in-chief-architect-plans.html

12 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

I agree, but sometimes they want something totally different looking than what CA generates.

yup but you can get it 85% using the truss tool and add in any kinds of arches manually.  At least the triangle part works well with the truss.  Usually a king post on those as well.

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

yup but you can get it 85% using the truss tool and add in any kinds of arches manually.  At least the triangle part works well with the truss.  Usually a king post on those as well.

not to hi-jack this thread but are you saying it can create something like ths?

Exposed Trusses in Residential Settings Archives - Timberworks

5 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

not to hi-jack this thread but are you saying it can create something like ths?

Exposed Trusses in Residential Settings Archives - Timberworks

Curved ceiling plane underneath it and you can create your "triangle" portion then use polyline drawn in elevation changed to a solid for the upright curved pieces.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

create something like ths?

For trusses like that I would use 3d moldings in an elevation view. The wood-grain texture will then be correct on all sides. I'd create one on a layer just for working / editing, then copy it and create a symbol to replicate. Then, if / when the client requests some changes to the profile, simply delete the symbols, make edits to the working version, then repeat the symbol process.

• Upvote 1

I brought this issue up in the thread below a few months ago, and it seems like a lot of people are having the same problem: for larger plans, after a while of usage, the "Building 3D Model" message comes up when you perform any UI action even though you aren't building a 3D model such as bringing up a dialog box for an object. For a larger plan this add hours of lag time in aggregate.

For me, downgrading/upgrading didn't seem to change the problem.

Since the problem is intermittent, I haven't figured out how to perfectly reproduce the problem with a simple example and exact instructions. I am working on this but it will take some doing.

Steve

I brought this issue up in the thread below a few months ago...

It's not the same issue.  Adam found a brand new problem in the recently released 23.4 update that was causing a significant slowdown compared to 23.3.  This was a very specific problem having to do with our texture mapping algorithms and some pretty complex surfaces (nested arched mulled units with a custom molding profile).

We are working on a fix for this problem and hope to have this available in the near future.

Since the problem is intermittent, I haven't figured out how to perfectly reproduce the problem with a simple example and exact instructions. I am working on this but it will take some doing.

When you do figure it out, then please let us know.  We will look into further and hopefully we can speed some things up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1