Having trouble creating landing on stairs...

65Shelby

Hey guys.  Having trouble creating a landing on stairs.  As you can see I can drop straight to bottom but cant get a landing to work.
Shack.thumb.jpg.8f9b0ded9a93e2bef9a0bfb129c00fa1.jpgdeck.thumb.jpg.0916a2093ac812d26e24ef2d5eb14032.jpg
I have looked at this link:
Creating a Landing Between Two Sets of Stairs (chiefarchitect.com)
But this seems to only help corners, which I also tried but the top of second run does not start at the end of the first... it starts at the same high level... 
599034777_2022-03-2513_24_51-Window.thumb.jpg.766dea847db1fb86c9374ba5b0b84e9f.jpg

Any help?
JSnell

You might be better off using a deck room for those landings anyway which makes the supports easier anyway.

And you may need to hurry with the drawings since it looks like they are almost finished anyway. ;)

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

You might be better off using a deck room for those landings anyway which makes the supports easier anyway.

And you may need to hurry with the drawings since it looks like they are almost finished anyway. ;)

Thanks Chop, the main part is set up as a Deck floor now... maybe I should create another floor underneath it?

102612010_2022-03-2514_55_41-Window.jpg.466c8a09a3db1f0c169272a5ad343c7e.jpg

As for the need of even doing it, Kootenai County wants to see that the shack is under 200sq ft and I need to show the dimensions.  I agree, almost after the fact but I avoid prop tax increse if I show them its under 200.

19 minutes ago, 65Shelby said:

Thanks Chop, the main part is set up as a Deck floor now... maybe I should create another floor underneath it?

Think I would just change the elevation and not the level unless you want it designated that way on the drawing.

42 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Think I would just change the elevation 

Not sure if I am smart enough to do that... this is a secondary building on the lot, which is on a sloped hill.  Was a nightmare just to get the terrain imported correctly.  Maybe Ill just leave the stairs and he wont say anything...  Thanks for all the input.
158629701_2022-03-2516_06_32-Window.thumb.jpg.29b10e657a7539ca9c6beeb03e91cc28.jpg

Or maybe use the landing tool.  Put it at whatever elevation it needs to be.  Then you can use the Alt key to draw the stairs from the deck down to the landing and the same for the stairs from the landing either down to the ground or down to another landing etc.

Rene's method works good if you need to display the stairs on both the foundation floor and the main floor.

If all you want to do is add a landing to your stairs, just shorten them, manually draw a landing at the end, and then draw another down stair section from the landing.

Or you could add a complete break, pull the stairs ends apart by how long you want the landing and then click in between them.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dermot said:

Rene's method works good if you need to display the stairs on both the foundation floor and the main floor.

If all you want to do is add a landing to your stairs, just shorten them, manually draw a landing at the end, and then draw another down stair section from the landing.

Or you could add a complete break, pull the stairs ends apart by how long you want the landing and then click in between them.

@Renerabbitt

I'm out at the property this weekend and don't have the best internet.  Looks like Rabbit posted a video, but I can't view it yet.

@Dermot I tried your option of just adding the landing, but it created it at the deck height.  I looked to see where I could lower but couldn't find it.

I will try you break option when I get home.  Thanks again you two.

JSnell

11 hours ago, Dermot said:

Ain't that a pistol?  Draw stairs,  3 to break,  right click on one section and hit the disconnect button,  then drag apart for the blank space that you can now drop a landing into.

Nce!

• Upvote 1

Dermot:

Thanks for the tip on breaking the stairs etc.  I think it would be nice if that disconnect tool showed up next to the stairs edit tools in the edit tool bar.  I don't think I've ever used that tool before.  Nevertheless, that's a great way to edit a stairs.

Couple of things to add...

If your landing is not at the proper height, then it might not be connected to the stairs.  Landing are just polyline based objects and if you make the side of the landing along the end of the stair they should connect and be at the right height.  You can also override the automatic height for the landing in the landing dialog.  Sometimes it is useful to set the landing height where you want it and let the stairs use auto heights to connect from the landing to the floor platforms.

As for breaking stairs, if you click on the break tool, you will get a new edit sub-toolbar with the complete break tool as an option.  I sometimes find the complete break is slightly easier than adding a normal break and then using the disconnect tool.  The disconnect tool is also on the main edit toolbar so it's really more like 6 of one and half dozen of the other.  Use which ever tools make the most sense to you.  The end result should be the same.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 6:47 PM, Renerabbitt said:

Wow, you did in 30 seconds what takes me half a day... thank you... what is that little circular thing you have with the mouse?  Your interface looks much different than mine. Is that just custom modding your interface?
As for the name, its Jerrell, but the 65Shelby is my car on my avatar.  (not real, just a replicar)  :)
Thank you again,
JSnell

On 3/26/2022 at 5:38 PM, Dermot said:

If your landing is not at the proper height, then it might not be connected to the stairs.  Landing are just polyline based objects and if you make the side of the landing along the end of the stair they should connect and be at the right height.  You can also override the automatic height for the landing in the landing dialog.  Sometimes it is useful to set the landing height where you want it and let the stairs use auto heights to connect from the landing to the floor platforms.

As for breaking stairs, if you click on the break tool, you will get a new edit sub-toolbar with the complete break tool as an option.  I sometimes find the complete break is slightly easier than adding a normal break and then using the disconnect tool.  The disconnect tool is also on the main edit toolbar so it's really more like 6 of one and half dozen of the other.  Use which ever tools make the most sense to you.  The end result should be the same.

Thanks Dermot, I tried that method and can create a break, but cant seperate them.  I also am not seeing a "disconnect tool".  I may have something with a combo from you and @Renerabbitt and will post if I am successful.  All of this is now for knowledge as Kootenai County has said what I submitted is acceptable.
JSnell

On 3/26/2022 at 5:38 PM, Dermot said:

Had no idea these tools existed which speaks solely to my ignorance and to the depth of Chief's tools and capabilities. Took me 15 minutes to understand the tools, did I say something about ignorance? Anyway cool stuff. Hope it helps someone else.

• Upvote 1

OK!  Thank you Humble...  So I, like you, didnt catch the diff between the Wall Break and the Complete Break.  I also, did not have all the Toolbars active and visible, so everything @Dermot mentioned now makes sense and holy c**p, was that easy.  @Renerabbitt was also very helpful with his video, but again I was missing alot of his Tools and Toolbars.
So thank you everyone for your help.  Lesson learned, and now I have about 50 more tools to try and learn about when I have not even figured out the previous 50... :(

822329151_2022-03-2818_42_22-ChiefArchitectPremierX13.thumb.jpg.d23d22e7829e6ed2ac04586a590e9e43.jpg
JSnell