exterior dimensions

DianeP

59 minutes ago, DianeP said:

Is there any way to automatically dimension garage doors to outside of doors while dimensioning other openings to center?

Create a separate default to measure doors to outside and change to that default and dimension.  But unless you want to delete all the other automatic dimensions it would be best to just use your automatic dimension tool and run just that wall moving the line to the proper offset you want instead of using the automatic dimension tool.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Create a separate default to measure doors to outside and change to that default and dimension.  But unless you want to delete all the other automatic dimensions it would be best to just use your automatic dimension tool and run just that wall moving the line to the proper offset you want instead of using the automatic dimension tool.

In my area at least, standard exterior doors and windows are measured to the center of the opening with the exception of the garage doors which are measured to the sides of the door.  This is what I was hoping to automate, but I have a feeling something has to be set at the symbol level telling the software to dimension to the side.  Foundations would dimension to the rough opening of the garage door.  I have to do this manually now,  not a big deal, but would be nice if it was automated.  

10 minutes ago, DianeP said:

In my area at least, standard exterior doors and windows are measured to the center of the opening with the exception of the garage doors which are measured to the sides of the door.  This is what I was hoping to automate, but I have a feeling something has to be set at the symbol level telling the software to dimension to the side.  Foundations would dimension to the rough opening of the garage door.  I have to do this manually now,  not a big deal, but would be nice if it was automated.  

It won't work to make an automated dimension default for that unless it is a foundation plan with no other openings. Otherwise you'll just end up doing more editing, not less.

The only logical way this would work is if the control was in the garage door default dialog.

I've done exactly what you were talking about. I copied a dimension type and renamed it to FDN Dimensions, adjusted it's locate settings and assigned it to it's own layer.