How Do I Make A Tilted Sandwich Board With Legs?

zowie123

No, I meant to convert Chief's surfaces into Solids.  As in import framing from Chief and then be able to treat it as a solid so it can be used in sections and cut sections.

How about Cross Referencing of Layout views in VW.  Is that something you do with VW?  Chief's latest Layout tools along with it's architectural modelings capabilities make it ideal for the residential market.  My own personal preference is to have one exceptional architectural modeling program paired with a very powerful modeling program.  I really don't even want a parade of high end aschitectural modelers, just one very good one, and a supporting cast.

No, Chief's Primitives are good for what they do, but anything beyond that you will have to be very creative to get it done if at all.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great input and like I mentioned in the video I posted there's people a lot smarter than me that will be here to add their knowledge. 

Also nice to see how a program like Vectorworks works, and especially in the hands of someone who has obviously used it for many years or at least is very proficient. As impressive as those features might be we are really comparing apples and bananas. Two programs with entirely different purposes and once again it comes down to a person's business and the model that works for them.

If someone thinks Vectorworks is fast at these tasks then so be it, but the long, long, long, learning curve has been forgotten as one 'blazes' through such tasks, which look neither fast nor easy to someone unfamiliar with a program like Vectorworks, or TurboCad or WhateverOtherCAD.

For me personally I don't want to learn Vectorworks or AnyOtherCAD. I don't want to create symbols that require that kind of complexity and expertise. Why? Because my business does not require it. If yours truly does then my empathy extends to the amount of effort required to get all the needed pieces completed for your business. 

I can create or import almost anything in Chief that is needed to run my business and satisfy my clients but I also accused Chief tools of being an insult to the term pathetic in its implementation and I even think that's too kind. It's a struggle in Chief but it gets easier over time and there's ways to get everything I need for my business done in Chief. Again business model, business model, business model.

Not rooting for Chief and wish things were easier but learning another program and the (overlooked and barely mentioned) incredible learning curve is not for me. Please Chief spend some time improving these (non) features for those who need them.

Here  is my take on the sandwich board.

Same as Larry with some curves and artwork.

http://screencast.com/t/QAMUySH5n7BI

Even just creating shapes that say include a rounded inside corner to the legs seem a task...but maybe i am wrong.

Johnny,

I think you are wrong. :)

Vectorworks is designed to be able to model ANYTHING. 

Can it model a multi-layered wall with materials and framing, EASILY? 

AND have all the smarts that a Chief wall has?

Larry

Some would say that Chief has a rather large learning curve.  Learning and using another program or programs is just another step on the path to getting things done.

I appreciate the points you made.  However it seems to me that what we are talking about is not the particular business model of CA users, but rather the business slash marketing strategy of CA.  Chief markets to it's strengths, which is why I like it so much.  Those strengths are it's architectural modeling and automation.  Long list, Glenn summed it up rather nicely.

In a niche driven market IMO Chief has and will continue to pursue what differienciates it from the competition.  If it didn't do that we would not have the program we have today, nor would it survive long in the jungle.  However, those things that fall outside of that target market will probably always recieve less than adequate attention.  I would rather have Chief at it's best, and use the best of breed programs from other niche market developers along with Chief.  That is not saying that I do not appreciate the need to impove Chief's tools.  Just not willing to wait when perfectly good solutions are already available.

Larry

Some would say that Chief has a rather large learning curve.  Learning and using another program or programs is just another step on the path to getting things done.

I appreciate the points you made.  However it seems to me that what we are talking about is not the particular business model of CA users, but rather the business slash marketing strategy of CA.  Chief markets to it's strengths, which is why I like it so much.  Those strengths are it's architectural modeling and automation.  Long list, Glenn summed it up rather nicely.

In a niche driven market IMO Chief has and will continue to pursue what differienciates it from the competition.  If it didn't do that we would not have the program we have today, nor would it survive long in the jungle.  However, those things that fall outside of that target market will probably always recieve less than adequate attention.  I would rather have Chief at it's best, and use the best of breed programs from other niche market developers along with Chief.  That is not saying that I do not appreciate the need to impove Chief's tools.  Just not willing to wait when perfectly good solutions are already available.

Good points Rod and I agree. I really appreciate all the input in threads like these, so much still to learn - about all the options available.

Here  is my take on the sandwich board.

Same as Larry with some curves and artwork.

http://screencast.com/t/QAMUySH5n7BI

Johnny,

I think you are wrong. :)

Can it model a multi-layered wall with materials and framing, EASILY? 

AND have all the smarts that a Chief wall has?

Glenn,

Glad you got your video chops figured out with Jing. Look forward to more. Oh Yeah forgot you could change the angle of Symbols after they are created - nice tip.

I like Yusuf creative solution.  However, my answer would be to make the object in Sketchup (free version) or Sketchup Pro where you have complete control in all directions and import it into CA.  I waste far too much time (and the evidence is in all the kluggy answers that have been presented here) trying to use the inadequate CAD tools of CA and trying to make a screwdriver into a hammer. If CA doesn't provide the right tool for the job, at least it let's you import objects from programs that do.  

I've attached an image of a sandwich board I found in the Sketchup 3D warehouse, imported to CA and snapped the image shown.  It took about 5 minutes total.  I could have edited it in SU to the specific size, angles and details I wanted and even changed the image...  Why fight CA when you can use the SU tool so easily and you might even find exactly the object you want in the warehouse.

Thanks but I believe chief can do a lot complicated objects. The roof tool in collaboration with cad poly lines union,subtraction and intersection is some thing that makes chief on top of every program, but really its capability is even under estimated by it's owners and programmers.

Thank you all.

Normally I like to bash Chief for its shortcomings, and this kind of project is definitely easier in another program (like Sketchup), but I was able to knock together a sandwich board in about 10 minutes using polyline solids converted to solids, boolean operations on the solids, explode the solids and assign materials. So, it may be, as others have stated, that if you spend time understanding how to do things with Chief, it gets easier.

post-95-0-87106200-1420822249_thumb.png

Normally I like to bash Chief for its shortcomings, and this kind of project is definitely easier in another program (like Sketchup), but I was able to knock together a sandwich board in about 10 minutes using polyline solids converted to solids, boolean operations on the solids, explode the solids and assign materials. So, it may be, as others have stated, that if you spend time understanding how to do things with Chief, it gets easier.

attachicon.gifboard.png

Robert,this is nice but, the roof Related symbols are sharp regarding control over curvatures to some extent.

attachicon.gifboard.png

An expert in either Sketchup or Chief or Vectorworks can create this symbol in about the same time - under 5 minutes in Chief with Glenn's video proof above.

If I just started Chief and I came from a Sketchup background I'd be screaming about the stupid Chief 3D tools. I'd be screaming in the same way if I came from Vectorworks or AnyOtherCAD.

If I just started Sketchup it would take me MUCH longer to create this symbol and the same with Vectorworks etc.

I keep making this point but for me Chief can make all the symbols I need for my business. Awkward at times and downright cantankerous at others but it can be done and having the forum member show their skills here is very refreshing and a great learning experience for me.

Robert,this is nice but, the roof Related symbols are sharp regarding control over curvatures to some extent.

The example you showed is very clever, but the individual components can't be modeled to the same degree of accuracy. It's a matter of personal preference, or what is required by the application.

I so admire your willingness to venture into roofs to get this done. Would love to see a video Yusuf if you're set up for such a thing.

Thanks,

I wish I could make a video to share such things, but I don't have any idea how to set up for that.

Robert you are right. it depends ,but this chief has a lot hidden capabilities.

Thanks,

I wish I could make a video to share such things, but I don't have any idea how to set up for that.

Robert you are right. it depends ,but this chief has a lot hidden capabilities.

Yusuf,   you knucklehead,  you are probably the smartest guy here except for Glenn.  Try to use Jing,  Glenn figured it our.  Yusuf,  you have some good stuff to offer to the community.  give it a shot,  I will be waiting.

Im not sure I fully understand the primitive tool-set in CA.  The name of these tools doesn't inspire confidence...lol.

There are quick things I can do in Vectorworks to add to this A-board like chamfer the edges slightly and add brackets to the top edges at the existing slop angle....which to me seems next to impossible in Chief.  I am curious about this, and whether or not its just my lack of knowledge of this app.  Even just creating shapes that say include a rounded inside corner to the legs seem a task...but maybe i am wrong.

Can't chamfer edges that I'm aware of but adding brackets etc. - pretty easy. Here's a gate I created as a symbol with 3D hinges etc.

Can't find the symbol but the Layout shows the 3D view. Each rail, each stile, each iron rod, each board, all the hinges, handles etc. created in Chief, saved as a symbol and imported into the drawing.

post-302-0-09291100-1420831718_thumb.png

post-302-0-53106900-1420831729_thumb.png

Here's a better 3D pic.

post-302-0-78904700-1420831876_thumb.png

Very informative video Glenn but there seems to be a

problem with the audio. Your voice sounds funny.  ;)

Rich,

I went searching for the language setting under Options but couldn't find it - I think it defaults to Australian - it must be a Windows setting.