New X13 update today???

rgardner

Anyone else get prompted for an update today on x13?  Had a random crash and then when I started it backup it said there was a new update.  Looks like version 23.4.0.123OSX dated March 14th.  I am in chief every day and first I have been prompted.  Also curious that since X14 is already in Beta there is patches coming out for X13.

Nothing that odd really.  It just took us a while to resolve some of the remaining most important issues.  First we were waiting on nvidia to help us with the problems on Windows 11 related to their video cards and then for Intel with some other problems with theirs.  Turns out the nividia problems were driver issues that they could fix but the Intel problems were ours so this update should correct them. 

There are a number of other useful bug fixes though so I would encourage everyone to get and use this latest update.

2 hours ago, Electromen said:

Downloaded and installed.  I quick test had no problems.

Well may your luck hold...... I finally got it installed and it appears to have destroyed the layout I have been working on the last few Days

including this morning ...... 

image.thumb.png.136a25ea46e7cbb6a35e8992c3e62e0b.png

* Hmmm interesting since the house has never had a roof Plane there, it is a 3:12 Porch Roof

which is still there as you can see.....  All the Layersets seem messed Up too, they all seem to have

Framing turned on now , so 3D views and Elevations are showing strange boo-boos like this and below.

M.

image.thumb.png.dd51bcd49d6cb5f9ba3836e4ed49bca8.png

3 hours ago, Dermot said:

Nothing that odd really.  It just took us a while to resolve some of the remaining most important issues.  First we were waiting on nvidia to help us with the problems on Windows 11 related to their video cards and then for Intel with some other problems with theirs.  Turns out the nividia problems were driver issues that they could fix but the Intel problems were ours so this update should correct them. 

There are a number of other useful bug fixes though so I would encourage everyone to get and use this latest update.

This is good to hear, I crashed several times today and lost a lot of work this time. Usually just 5 minutes or so of work. Today, there was no warning, it just shut off. PBRT was working when it happened.

2 minutes ago, bdillard1 said:

After the update, everything on my plan -text, furniture, walls - is black and white.   I guess I prefer the colors - can you tell me how to get them back?

Capture.JPG

Best to probably start a new thread for something like this.

Best guess though is you inadvertently hit the color toggle button (oob on the right side toolbar that looks like a yellow house with a black box) or the hotkey for this which oob is F8.

• Like 1

Holy heck, I always upgrade to the latest release but not any more. I don't really want to mess with what is working and yes I know your mileage may vary and all the other great advice from the folks at Chief but my time is too valuable to mess with any changes to my system.  I'll play with X14 but only until it's stable on my system and want absolutely nothing to do with Win 11 until forced to upgrade in, I think, 4 years.

54 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Downloaded the CA update but is this the latest and greatest driver I need per my sig? NVIDIA site can be confusing and I don't want to download something for unnecessary.

image.thumb.png.0a33db06aff724cab3a12caf1524a39e.png

Is your system working ok? If so why mess with it? If not maybe new drivers will help some issue specifically?

7 hours ago, bdillard1 said:

After the update, everything on my plan -text, furniture, walls - is black and white.   I guess I prefer the colors - can you tell me how to get them back?

Whoops - F8

Capture.JPG

I found a few weird ones like this too ......My Snaps were OFF even though the Icon said they were ON , and I had to disable them and re-enable them to get them working again after I fixed about 16 of 27 layersets with the Framing ALL turned On........ very strange.....

I am STILL getting the message about the Missing CAD Detail though in the current Layout even though both plans are Referenced and all Layout boxes appear to be Filled....

The 2503 Error with Chief is unfortunately not new for me, I suffered with it in X12 as well.

Hopefully the new Nvidia Driver that came out yesterday doesn't cause anymore issues , I wasn't willing to try it yest. as well :) 

M.

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Is your system working ok? If so why mess with it? If not maybe new drivers will help some issue specifically?

It's crashing a lot nowdays and the PC is only 3 months old. I was hoping this upgrade would help. 

I did the update yesterday morning. I was working in chief all day yesterday with no issues then at the end of the day it started to act a little weird, I was placing a elevation view for an interior shot and all other ones I had placed I was using color fill and same with the last one I placed, but the last one ended up with no color fill. I went to the floor plan and the lighting fixtures in the drawings were showing as red boxes with X's through them along with all the other 3d items in the drawing file were black boxes with X's through them. Along with this the floor plans were also missing the room fill that was already there and walls were showing as just a pair of lines which isn't how I have it setup visually. I chose to save both the plan and layout files I was working in and fully close out chief which went smoothly and exactly the same as every other time I have closed the program. I went to open the layout file and plan files after a few minutes and got the pictured warning. I basically lost most of my days work as my archive at that time was set to do it daily and not hourly. Not sure if there is a way to correct the missing header information that is mentioned in the warning but that would be great so I can at least recover the work that I lost yesterday. Any help is appreciated.

Nathan

image.thumb.png.fc379b4bb21397ad3d2f5f836a2decae.png

Did you click on the "Check Knowledge Base" button?  This will often take you to tech support article that will explain things in more detail. 

Did you get any error messages before you noticed the problems in your plan?  Most often when plans start misbehaving the program will display some kind of error message letting you know that there is a problem.  Sometimes people ignore these messages and then wonder why the plan is having problems.  You should never ignore error messages.

Did you save your plan after you saw the problems?  This is one way to get corrupted plan files.  Whenever you see strange problems in a plan, you should always do a save as so that you won't corrupt what might be a good version of the plan.

The bottom line is that this error message means that your plan is corrupt and can't be read.  The file header information is the very first thing in the file and when this data is missing or wrong then there is usually no way to read the file.  It's basically gibberish to the program.  The best thing to do is fine an archive or backup of the plan that is usable. 

You might also check out this tech article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00960/message-the-plan-file-you-are-attempting-to-open-appears-to-be-corrupted.html

On a side note, you have given me no information that indicates that this is a new problem in 23.4.  My guess is that this is the result of a random program or system glitch and has nothing to do with the update.  If you experience this problem again, then you should contact our technical support team.