Tech Upgrades to my PC

stager386

Hello everyone. As I get ready to upgrade my system to the current X13 recommendations, and brace myself for the scarcity and cost of graphics cards, does anyone have any advice/feedback as I proceed?  Has anyone discovered something that worked great or didn't work great, or deals I may not know about?  I have someone well versed in helping me, but just thought I'd ask people who are actually in the trenches working with CA13 everyday.  

Thanks!

Kate 

Gawdzira makes a great point - you'll want at least a 750 watt power supply - also you'll want to make sure the case is deep as the cards are deep.   I'd recommend the MSI Trio as it is the quietest of cards.   From what I hear it doesn't matter if you get the 8, 10 or 12 GB model for CA - I can't confirm.   I think the bang for the buck point is currently the 3080 - not the TI, not the 3090 although those a just a smidge faster - I'm not sure you'll notice the return for the dollar.

Rpadge makes an great suggestion as well if you need to move your computer around and bring it to customers.   Not a pleasant task with a whole computer and monitor.   The only downside is that the CPUs and GPUs on laptops aren't quite as fast on workstations.   The reason is they can't fit all the cooling required to have the full blow experience.   A full sized 3070, 3080, or 3090 is nearly the size of a laptop if cut in half and put side by side - and that video card doesn't have a keyboard, screen, battery, motherboard, etc so they have to make up the space somehow to make it portable.

While you may not see a huge performance gain by going to a new processor yours is getting a little older so you might consider a whole new rig and using your current one as a backup.   I'd get a nice large SSD - I prefer samsung - they really are pretty cheap for a 2GB model.    If you are building it yourself or having a friend build it for you I can recommend all the parts.   There are some very good system builders as well.   You could consider an alienware as well.  I would not get a system with liquid cooling - amazing to look at if you like looking inside your PC but the pump adds as much noise as it reduces from the fans and you have to worry about leaks and monitoring the fluid (sometimes they need cleaning).    Liquid cooling is great for overclocking but unless you are gaming - not really a concern.   If noise is your concern, get Noctua fans - they are about the quietest I have ever encountered.   I have a raid controller, a 4 port 10gbs nic, 18 hard drives, a 3080 controller and an i7 in my PC and require 11 fans to propoerly cool (most running at low speed) it but from about 6 feet away you literally would have to listen to tell if my system is on.    Most of the noise comes from the video card and the MSI trio is the quietest you can get.

Not sure if you want to upgrade your current system or buy a new one? Your current system is most likely too old to really benefit from new components so can we assume you're shopping for a whole new rig? If so desktop or laptop? I think the MSI desk top systems below are a very good value as posted in another thread.

Quite a few Alienware users here though I've always thought they were over priced but that gets right to the heart of the matter. Budget? And why do you want to upgrade to current X13 requirements? Do you need/want what Chief calls 'RTRT' Real Time Ray Tracing? Which is actually 'MFRT' Much Faster Ray Tracing? I personally am intrigued by the feature but haven't found a need in my work flow. Do you really need/want it? Can you get by with a lesser graphics card (as I can) and upgrade when/if the prices come down? 

Good luck and would love to know what you choose.

https://us-store.msi.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_74_108&filter=27

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790K+%40+4.00GHz&id=2275

Thanks for the great insight everyone!  I have a system that was built piece by piece, by my son many years ago. He has maintained it and has upgraded it as we go along. So it's all customizable.  I am only interested in this for my desktop setup, not laptop.  I have 2 monitors and do other things that require this setup.  When I see clients, I have my large iPad pro which holds the pdf Layout I would have prepared for them.

Thanks again everyone.  I will have different options priced out based on your suggestions.

~ Kate 

5 minutes ago, stager386 said:

Thanks for the great insight everyone!  I have a system that was built piece by piece, by my son many years ago. He has maintained it and has upgraded it as we go along. So it's all customizable...

..but only to the point that that older technology will allow. If looking to '"upgrade my system to the current X13 recommendations" and you're thinking that your older system might be 'customizable' to meet those X13 requirements I'd think again or perhaps your son can find a way to use your older system?

Still not sure what your considering, upgrading existing or buying new? Best of luck either way.

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Not sure if you want to upgrade your current system or buy a new one? Your current system is most likely too old to really benefit from new components so can we assume you're shopping for a whole new rig? If so desktop or laptop? I think the MSI desk top systems below are a very good value as posted in another thread.

Quite a few Alienware users here though I've always thought they were over priced but that gets right to the heart of the matter. Budget? And why do you want to upgrade to current X13 requirements? Do you need/want what Chief calls 'RTRT' Real Time Ray Tracing? Which is actually 'MFRT' Much Faster Ray Tracing? I personally am intrigued by the feature but haven't found a need in my work flow. Do you really need/want it? Can you get by with a lesser graphics card (as I can) and upgrade when/if the prices come down? 

Good luck and would love to know what you choose.

https://us-store.msi.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_74_108&filter=27

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790K+%40+4.00GHz&id=2275

I know Alienware does a lot to fine tune their systems, like manufacturing their own motherboards for a better working experience without bottlenecks. the extra cost IMO is worth it. I'm on my 6th one now.

Honestly, if you can, I would wait until the new 4000 series cards come out.  Once they hit the market, the hardcore gamers will be picking them up and unloading their 3000 series cards on ebay for a song.  Couple that with the vendors wanting to unload the 3000 series off the shelves to make room for the 4000s, you will get a great deal.
Think of it like TV or cars; great deals to be made when new product and inventory hits the market.
JSnell

Another option since everyone here loves gaming cards are the Dell Refurbished computers.  They come with full 1yr warranty and the prices are amazing.  We purchase refurbs for our Non Profits quite often and have never really had any problems with them.

XPS with 3060 - $1172.00
Refurbished Laptops and 2-in-1 PCs: Dell Outlet | Dell United States
XPS with 3080 - $1700.00
Refurbished Laptops and 2-in-1 PCs: Dell Outlet | Dell United States

Throw in a 1TB drive for another $100 and you're done...
JSnell

2 hours ago, stager386 said:

Thanks again everyone.  I will have different options priced out based on your suggestions.

If you need a new PS and a graphics Card AntOnline seems to have some Bundles in Stock fairly regularly

*Personally I have always had good luck and service with EVGA ( in Cali.)  so........

https://www.antonline.com/Evga/Computers/Video_Cards/Graphic_Cards/1445799

They do have Cards in Stock too, currently the 3080 Ti is only $100 above MSRP which is pretty good..... ( since EVGA doesn't have any on there Site )

https://www.antonline.com/Evga/Computers/Video_Cards/Graphic_Cards/1429479

Prices are dropping but the Rumors are that the 3000 Series will be sold along side the 4000 Series suppoedly coming in Sept/Nov.

M.