How to create simple gabled roof or adjust auto built roof

B_Mcdonald

51 minutes ago, solver said:

Please check your messages -- envelope icon top of page.

Please post images directly -- no need to make a PDF of an image. This makes it easier for others as an image shows in the forum.

There are many videos on building roofs on the Chief website and YouTube channel -- have you watched any of them? A few on my YouTube channel too.

Eric, thanks, watched Roof Basics (https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5447/roof-basics.html?playlist=95) and L Shaped with Gabled ends (https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/710/generating-a-roof-over-an-l-shaped-house-with-gable-ends.html). Will keep reviewing based on the tools you shared. 

1 hour ago, B_Mcdonald said:

Attached a pdf of current and what I'm looking for

Best to use the Windows (or Mac) Snipping Tool and just paste the Pic into the Forum Post instead of making PDFs

so we can View the issue right  here on the Forum.

M.

10 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Best to use the Windows (or Mac) Snipping Tool and just paste the Pic into the Forum Post instead of making PDFs

so we can View the issue right  here on the Forum.

Snips instead, first is current as viewed in Chief and second is the design I'm looking for. Thanks.

image.thumb.png.ab2a18f469b9d77ff7898a3f1cc38e20.pngimage.thumb.png.741fc513b46bf5b3371204ce12f9a60c.png

It appears you are not Breaking the long Walls , and then setting 1 pc to Gable and the Other to Hip eg on the left side of the house....

once you get that one right , the procedure is the same on the Right side.

M.

image.thumb.png.bfc2df695f175480ca7aa98ad4adb750.png

38 minutes ago, solver said:

The L Shaped with Gabled ends video shows exactly what you need to do.

Tried both techniques in the video prior to this post and wasn't working. Fairly new to this so will continue to use as video and responses seem straight forward. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

It appears you are not Breaking the long Walls , and then setting 1 pc to Gable and the Other to Hip eg on the left side of the house....

Will continue to try. Prior to posting, I'd tried to break walls as well as use the Gable Roof line tool. Thanks

2 minutes ago, solver said:

Try drawing the house in the video. Follow along with the narration.

Good advice...to always follow the Tutorial 1st and once it's right apply to your own Project.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00619/building-an-l-shaped-structure-with-full-gable-ends.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00758/generating-automatic-hip-and-gable-roofs.html

4 minutes ago, B_Mcdonald said:

Eric/Mick, works with the same design as the video. I'll start over and recreate the design and see if it works as roof isn't impacted by the breaks on my current design. Thanks!

Have you turned off Auto Roof ...or caused it to turn off? in your plan.....

image.thumb.png.e3f9da54749e057ecd961f27c9a56326.png

On the left hand side you need to increase the pitch of the 2 roofs So that the ridge is the same height as the main roof.

On the right hand side you need to move the wall break and the pitch of the roofs (if you want these roofs to be the same height as the main roof.

Once to start mixing different roof pitches you will also need to decide if you want the same eave overhang or the same eave height.

In this case it would be better to post the plan because a small error in any of the settings could mean that the roof will not work as you want it to.

Changing the angle of a valley doesn't raise or lower a ridge. The pitch or the plate heights affect the ridge height. From the look of the house its possibly trusses with an energy heel that would raise ir some what. The right gable is off because the valley lines aren't equal. You can see it with eyeing it but on your graph paper the right valley is a full square north of the left valley. In using Chief get used to being accurate - very accurate. As a programmer I just finished a job for said - in programming there is no such thing as almost. Its either right or its not.

Team, apologize for the delay in reply.

Thank you Glenn! Based on your input, adjusted ridge top height and matched intent for left side.

Rich, thanks for the accuracy callout, I adjusted the wall break accuracy and has the roof plan improved but still slightly off.

Eric, really appreciate the videos as I'm new to design software in general and specifically Chief. Thank you!

Design is attached if there is something additional that's leaving the defect I'm missing. Left side roof is fixed, just the slight deviation on the right. 

5920 Springs Rd (New Design3).plan