home additions and roof tie-ins

winterdd

How do you guys handle the valley boards laying flat instead of chief treating it like a new build roof on home additions? Polyline solids? Attached is mine and then a pic of the "real world" type of construction. Grey lines are existing and blue is new construction. Just trying to show it exact. I'll be honest I have always left it as shown because they get the idea but I really need to improve this from now on.

image.thumb.png.e24797e9ba219b2c3edd3379c9b91e01.pngimage.thumb.png.d7f39b47c445e02f2722786fd0024b63.png

Hi Rob,  I did a video a while back and a bunch of us discussed and refined the technique.  I think the conclusion was a 3D box was the most appropriate tool because of some of it's special properties and how it interacts with a roof plane.  I will see if I can find the thread for you.

I think California claims responsibility for this technique of the " California Overbuild "

I would suggest just to create the 3D view of the Califonia tie-in once and use it as a reference detail instead of recreating it on every job. The important thing is that you have the detail to show what its supposed to look like to the framer so he knonws how to build it. Thats what all details are used for and why they are called details.
Sections and elevations just gives you a conceptual over all view of the whole picture. Its not meant to be as a detail for building. Work arounds are usually more of a wasit of time then they are a help unless you have a specific use for what you are doing. Also, you want to make sure you are getting paid for all that time you put into it if the cient is demading a certain view.

My opinion for what its worth