Chief Crashing at Standard Render on New Alienware X17 R2 Laptop

kwhitt

If you did not try the latest Nvidia drivers (specifically the 511.79 one), then you should do this first.  This has solved *most* of the issues we have seen with Windows 11 and the nvidia 3000 series cards.

You might also want to get the 23.4 update that we released just today.  We fixed a number of important issues and some of them might help with your problems.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/updates.html

You might also check this tech article about how to solve camera view problems:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html

And if none of this helps, then I would encourage you to continue to work with our tech support team.  We have people who are trained to help you solve these kinds of problems and this is part of what your SSA is paying for.

Buying a new computer is almost always the very last resort, unless your computer does not actually meet our min system requirements (https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html)

If you are considering buying a new computer, you might also want to review this blog article with some more recommendations:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/blog/computer-for-design-and-gaming/

18 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Well while you still have it , why not try a Install of Win10 and find out , just return it to factory reset before returning it , which you'd do anyway...... that's one way to find out if it is Win11 or the "Hybrid" Tech, which I think is where even the RTX out goes thru the Intel chip to save power ...now I could see that messing with Chief as Chief has had weird issues over the  years with Intel's Drivers/Cards.

M.

Thanks Mick.  You make a good point.  I should at least try running Windows 10 before sending it back.  Kevin

16 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

a gaming machine that runs on windows 10. I am NOT recommending an Aware or any Dell. Dollars to donuuts I'd bet my 2070 would hold up against the Precision. Almost every view i Chief is 3D, the developers work on RTX cards and it's been said often by Dermot and others that Chief does not get anything from the extra expense of Quadro cards which always cost more than a gaming card for which Chief is optimized. Go look at the list of software that support Quadros.

I'd go to HIDEvolution, check a few machines, call someone, call tech support. You can get a comparable machine, with upgraded thermal protection, burnt in and tested, built to order AND save between $500 and 1000. I'd even go so far as to say get an 11th gen CPU.FWIW this is my 3rd Clevo running CHief and the old one now dontated to my nephew, a 6700k with a GTX 980M 8GB ran X13 during testing without issue, just no RTRT

Mark - understood.  Thanks again for the input.

12 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Just found this posted in the Chatroom, and he is have issues with his Aware as well

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/33965-hardware-preferences-for-chief-architect-premier/

I'd be thinking 12th gen since the budget is apparently non - existent  :)

and 11 gen is fine , might get a good deal with 12th gen out now, and at least on Desktop,  11th gen will allow Gen4 PCie on NVMEs,

which are twice as fast , BUT not sure it help Chief a lot ? but I have not investigated that on Laptops though. ( my laptop is 10th gen.)

M.

Appreciate it Mick.  I'll read that thread tonight as I have to make a decision soon.  It's not that I don't have a budget.  As I never have time to do the research, I go for the overkill approach.  In the past it has served me well, but this laptop is unusable with Chief.

15 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Appreciate it Mick.  I'll read that thread tonight as I have to make a decision soon.  It's not that I don't have a budget.  As I never have time to do the research, I go for the overkill approach.  In the past it has served me well, but this laptop is unusable with Chief.

Chief just release a NEW Version of X13 at Lunch, I happen to close down and reboot ...just got it myself....maybe worth a try ---see the PDF

M.

9 minutes ago, Dermot said:

If you did not try the latest Nvidia drivers (specifically the 511.79 one), then you should do this first.  This has solved *most* of the issues we have seen with Windows 11 and the nvidia 3000 series cards.

You might also want to get the 23.4 update that we released just today.  We fixed a number of important issues and some of them might help with your problems.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/updates.html

You might also check this tech article about how to solve camera view problems:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html

And if none of this helps, then I would encourage you to continue to work with our tech support team.  We have people who are trained to help you solve these kinds of problems and this is part of what your SSA is paying for.

Buying a new computer is almost always the very last resort, unless your computer does not actually meet our min system requirements (https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html)

If you are considering buying a new computer, you might also want to review this blog article with some more recommendations:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/blog/computer-for-design-and-gaming/

Thanks Dermot.  I have already opened a ticket with tech support.  None of the suggestions so far have worked - including trying two of the latest NVidia drivers.  The laptop is about 2.5 weeks old and returnable within 30 days.

I didn't realize there was an update to Chief.  I wasn't notified as is typical when the software opened.  I'll give that a try.

I appreciate the articles and will read tonight.

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Chief just release a NEW Version of X13 at Lunch  break ...just got it myself....maybe worth a try ---see the PDF

M.

Will download now.  Fingers crossed...

16 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Chief just release a NEW Version of X13 at Lunch  break ...just got it myself....maybe worth a try ---see the PDF

M.

Update did not help,  Still crashing every time!  Nice to know the sink cut-outs now work.  That'll be useful when I'm able to open Chief on a laptop!

15 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Update did not help,  Still crashing every time!  Nice to know the sink cut-outs now work.  That'll be useful when I'm able to open Chief on a laptop!

Well at least you can install it......

image.thumb.png.d49a1e87fde95a0157f3b744dcc044a6.png

16 hours ago, kwhitt said:

@MarkMc

Thanks Mick.  What exactly are you and Mark recommending?  That I keep the existing machine and downgrade to Windows 10?  I'm not quite sure that the Hybrid Power is not the cause and I don't think it can be disabled.  All I know is that this machine does not affectively run Chief.  I am open to suggestions.  Kevin

I think everyone who suggests you go with your current laptop over the precision is right.  I'd also agree Windows 11 could very well cause a number of issues as it isn't just CA that Win11 has problems with - that is why I won't roll it out for any of my clients.   I made a fortune upgrading my clients from Vista back to XP and it looks like I might encounter this again with Win 11 if they don't come out with some big fixes for it soon.   Even if you got CA working well on Win 11, I'd probably upgrade it to 10.   In a year 11 may be great but right now I'd consider it a beta.

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, MarkMc said:

FWIW, when I first switched to Chief I'd been running Precisions for several years. After just about a year I switched to a gaming machine (clevo/sager) glad I did and would not think of swapping back. For Chief gaming machines work better, now if you run Autocad or Solid works then you will see "some" benefit but Chief will NOT run as well. Image showing one one of the Better? cards in a precision against a 3080

image.thumb.png.9e4b9eb3d743670d08e5be9c4d0e273a.png

With all due respect you are comparing the lowest end CAE GPU to the highest (currently) Gaming GPU.  If you are going to snapshot any comparisons, you should compare the A6000 to the 3080.

2021 2020 Deep Learning Benchmarks Comparison: NVIDIA RTX 3080 vs NVIDIA RTX A6000 (bizon-tech.com)

I am running an A4000 on a laptop and have not had one issue that others are struggling with.  Not sure how you can blanketly deny an A-Series GPU when you have never had one, and you have someone telling you they work perfect?

Is there no room for other options or successful combos?
JSnell

4 hours ago, 65Shelby said:

With all due respect you are comparing the lowest end CAE GPU to the highest (currently) Gaming GPU.  If you are going to snapshot any comparisons, you should compare the A6000 to the 3080.

Fair enough but your link is for Desktop cards and the top end RTX would be a 3090. For mobile cards looking at what is available on a Precision *A4000 Mobile) to the closest gaming card (RTX 3080 mobile) I found this for you. In most the RTX is slightly ahead.

The ones that count from what I've seen using CA across 5 machines are Passmark and Open CL (I don't game)

The extra memory of the RTX won't be used in Chief so not the advantage for RTX that is listed.

image.thumb.png.d4707d452da86544237458666ccf14fb.png

FWIW an 11th gen laptop with a 3080 and similar specs to a Precision runs about $1k less and can be found with more customization and control over the system itself.

4 hours ago, 65Shelby said:

I am running an A4000 on a laptop and have not had one issue that others are struggling with

Um? the OP's issue is on Win 11, have your tried X13 on Win 11? your signature says you are running Windows 10?

As far as my suggesting to stick with RTX over Quadro...why do what works.

image.thumb.png.4363fa36c8447b30418d24108a0da580.png

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

Fair enough but your link is for Desktop cards and the top end RTX would be a 3090. For mobile cards looking at what is available on a Precision *A4000 Mobile) to the closest gaming card (RTX 3080 mobile) I found this for you. In most the RTX is slightly ahead.

The ones that count from what I've seen using CA across 5 machines are Passmark and Open CL (I don't game)

The extra memory of the RTX won't be used in Chief so not the advantage for RTX that is listed.

image.thumb.png.d4707d452da86544237458666ccf14fb.png

FWIW an 11th gen laptop with a 3080 and similar specs to a Precision runs about $1k less and can be found with more customization and control over the system itself.

Um? the OP's issue is on Win 11, have your tried X13 on Win 11? your signature says you are running Windows 10?

As far as my suggesting to stick with RTX over Quadro...why do what works.

image.thumb.png.4363fa36c8447b30418d24108a0da580.png

I admittedly dont follow gaming cards or any cards.  My world is servers, networks and firewalls, I didnt know the 3090 was out so thats my bad.

I guess the point I was making is, if noticed, all I have repeatedly said was, "this option works for me".

I am running 3 monitors, 2 are my work monitors and the 3rd runs video cameras, (cameras probably using onboard GPU, havent checked).  Multiple teamviewer remote connections, Solarwinds monitoring and a million other windows.  I can open CA and RT any drawing, including the OPs problematic one, with zero issues.

As for the Win11 try, you are right.  I have not tested it, but my laptop is a a triple boot, Win10\Win11\Linux.  I will install the CA on the  Win11 tonight and try to test (maybe, my back has been hurting, so we'll see.)

Now whether this is a Win11, Win10, 3080, A-Series problem I dont know and the very last thing I want to do is get in any pissing match with anyone.  I personally dont care what anyone uses.  OP asked people to "open it on a laptop" and I did, even RT'ed it.  Flawless.  I let him know my setup and thats it.  But for people, (not you), just in general do dismiss or discount something that works... I just dont get that...

I often have to test client software compatibility with our construction and engieering firms.  This laptop, that I bought in Nov, opens and runs, CAD, Blender, Revit, CA, HDStudio, BlueBeam and probably a couple others with no issues.  I cant tell you how to run any of those programs, but I have tested them, extensively.  Based on our testing, we consult to our clients on what to buy.

I am not saying this is the holy grail and the HAVE TO have... just saying it works for me with CA.  Thats all.
I will report my Win11 findings tonight or tmrw and then be done with this thread.
JSnell

Ok final post on this...

These are the stats on the following pictures and information
Dell Precision 7760 Laptop
Windows 11 Pro
CA x13 version:  23.2.0.55x64 (version I had on server)
nVidia RTX A4000 running nVidia 511.09 driver

I also did a 30 second Walkthrough at 2k rez.

Everything seems to work pretty well.

1654637746_2022-03-2408_21_47-Window.thumb.jpg.3174e98a8f62bb58adf209a1d606c5f6.jpg

1179727873_2022-03-2408_36_18-Window.thumb.jpg.0ec29bc9447c35457aefe63ecff2ad24.jpg

No edits or adjustments to the RT.  Just a quick snapshot to PBRT and lined up a nice shot of his bathroom,

1456163667_2022-03-2408_38_32-Window.thumb.jpg.5da5f0468c415dd8c59487bce589df78.jpg

As of now I am done with this thread.
JSnell

• Upvote 1