Ceiling height changing for entirely floor, not by room

Je_Roy

Help!

Every online reference I've found says changing room heights is easily done individually by room except for editing the default value. BUT, when I change the ceiling values for one room in the Room Specifications > Structure tab, it's changing it in all rooms. Regardless of if I try to raise or lower the ceiling. Very frustrating, hopefully there's an easy fix.

I am using Architect 2016. File attached.

JRM Giveaway.plan

I think you have unknowingly inserted a second floor delete  that with your floor tools and thing should start working also you have lots of unconnected walls witch wont form rooms you need all rooms wall connected to form rooms

hopefully this will work in your software as i am guessing you using home designer brand not chief architect as this forum is for

• 6 months later...

As someone who was infuriated by this same problem today, ironically in both Home Designer and Chief Architect, a solution that worked for me was to play around with the checkboxes under the 'Floor' section of the Room Specifications > Structure tab.

Specifically I found a troublesome checkbox seems to be 'Floor Supplied by the Foundation Room Below'. If checked, I had the same problems you describe, if unchecked, I was able to change the floor height for an individual room, without changing all of the other rooms.

I can't speak to the inter-relation of the checkboxes, what all of them do, or unintended consequences.

Other notes...

• Sometimes you can't enable 'Monolithic Slab Foundation', without enabling 'Floor Supplied by the Foundation Room Below'. But sometimes (or somehow) you can.
  • The checkboxes act a little buggy in other ways - they do so if you do make changes to the checkboxes on multiple (selected) rooms at once
  • Sometimes the checkboxes get re-enabled while you're away from them. Baffling.
  • In Chief Architect there is a 4th checkbox labelled 'Build Foundation Below'. The X14 Reference Manual doesn't say what it does, but I can tell you it affects whether a room's foundation is rebuilt or not
  • Dropping the floor height of a room on the ground floor seems to expose the foundation (visually) where there are higher rooms around that room, which there usually would be. You can't 'paint' on this foundation edge, and the only suggestion I've found so far is to cover it up with a thin soffit. Removing and replacing internal walls worked one time for me, but it created a new problem where the higher room's floor covering was the foundation, and I couldn't 'paint' it either.
  • I'm beginning to think that it's best to start a project with the lowest part of your house at 0 height, rather than use negative floor values. But this is not really an option when you have an existing model that you are trying to work height changes back into.

I realize this is an older question, but I struggled to find a suitable answer to this problem, so I put this here for others who may be searching in future.

35 minutes ago, smashing said:

As someone who was infuriated by this same problem today, ironically in both Home Designer and Chief Architect, a solution that worked for me was to play around with the checkboxes under the 'Floor' section of the Room Specifications > Structure tab.

Specifically I found a troublesome checkbox seems to be 'Floor Supplied by the Foundation Room Below'. If checked, I had the same problems you describe, if unchecked, I was able to change the floor height for an individual room, without changing all of the other rooms.

I can't speak to the inter-relation of the checkboxes, what all of them do, or unintended consequences.

Other notes...

• Sometimes you can't enable 'Monolithic Slab Foundation', without enabling 'Floor Supplied by the Foundation Room Below'. But sometimes (or somehow) you can.
  • The checkboxes act a little buggy in other ways - they do so if you do make changes to the checkboxes on multiple (selected) rooms at once
  • Sometimes the checkboxes get re-enabled while you're away from them. Baffling.
  • In Chief Architect there is a 4th checkbox labelled 'Build Foundation Below'. The X14 Reference Manual doesn't say what it does, but I can tell you it affects whether a room's foundation is rebuilt or not
  • Dropping the floor height of a room on the ground floor seems to expose the foundation (visually) where there are higher rooms around that room, which there usually would be. You can't 'paint' on this foundation edge, and the only suggestion I've found so far is to cover it up with a thin soffit. Removing and replacing internal walls worked one time for me, but it created a new problem where the higher room's floor covering was the foundation, and I couldn't 'paint' it either.
  • I'm beginning to think that it's best to start a project with the lowest part of your house at 0 height, rather than use negative floor values. But this is not really an option when you have an existing model that you are trying to work height changes back into.

I realize this is an older question, but I struggled to find a suitable answer to this problem, so I put this here for others who may be searching in future.

The original post seems to be talking about ceiling heights but the flooring/foundation issue that you're talking about acts similarly.

You need to know how the foundation will be built first. "Floor supplied by the foundation room below" will be for slab on grade build so don't turn it off unless you're floor framing. But you can still change the floor height just fine with slab on grade, you just need to separate the rooms with a foundation wall. I've found that it often helps to change the pour number for the lower floor too. If there isn't a foundation wall separating the rooms it'll of course drop the floor throughout the building since there's just the one slab not broken up by stem walls.

Here's staggered floor and ceiling heights in these pics. Works fine for the most part. There are definitely issues with foundations, I fight with them often, but this usually isn't an issue.
image.thumb.png.ae7981a7631983b55ab5cc0e77971acb.pngimage.thumb.png.a1659ccf3e29248dbec88af62d0064ba.png