New Mac computer

tomm11

a NEW crash

An internal rendering error has occurred (assertion failure):
mHead-»size == mSize

I was in a CAD detail creating this in 2D......all the text vanished.

I copied the log that gets generated to send to apple

402,415 words

1225 pages

This has to get solved.

CleanShot 2022-04-08 at 08.01.19.png

17 hours ago, para-CAD said:

a NEW crash

An internal rendering error has occurred (assertion failure):
mHead-»size == mSize

I was in a CAD detail creating this in 2D......all the text vanished.

I copied the log that gets generated to send to apple

402,415 words

1225 pages

This has to get solved.

CleanShot 2022-04-08 at 08.01.19.png

Is it "Apple"...or is it "Chief"? No other application that I use on my iMac has this issue. You should send the info to Chief....

I really doubt Apple is going to make changes to their operating system in order to accommodate Chief.

Hey Steve,

Every other app on this MBP works as expected......many things are very quick.  

Chief is the ONLY app that has crashed and it crashes between 1 time a day and sometimes every few hours.  

I really want to use the mac because it's new and portable with crazy-long battery life.  

When things get too much I go back to the 2016 Windows desktop.

I've submitted tickets to troubleshooting with tech-support but the crashes occur so randomly that I don't think they will be able to solve this problem.

I'm unable to predictably re-create these problems.

As an outside observer, I am assuming that some line of code somewhere is not specific in addressing something that Apple has modified by their new design.

I'm at a loss and so I save and save often until it gets to the point where I have to switch machines. It rapidly takes the joy out of using the software when it does this so often.

• 3 months later...
On 3/21/2022 at 2:28 PM, Steve-C said:

Same here. On a side note, I have not had any issue with crashing. I'm running the baseline MacBook pro 16" with the M1 pro chip. I have it hooked up to two 32" monitors and it runs like a champ. What's crazy is I can do that for hours on battery power and it barely gets warm. It's light years better than the last generation MBP which would not even run an external monitor without the power source plugged in and would scream bloody murder with two monitors.

How much memory are you running on your MacBook?  I'm debating whether or not the upgrade from 16gb to 32gb is necessary and worth the additional money.

15 hours ago, UpNorthBuilder said:

How much memory are you running on your MacBook?  I'm debating whether or not the upgrade from 16gb to 32gb is necessary and worth the additional money.

Upgrade for future proofing.

On 7/31/2022 at 6:00 AM, UpNorthBuilder said:

I'm running 16gb. But to be fair I never expected my MacBook to be anything other than a meetings and travel computer. It runs so well that I now use it exclusively. I would have upgraded if I had known, though I can't imagine it running any better than it does. You could get the M1 pro setup with a 1tb drive, the 24 core gpu and 32gb of RAM, those upgrades are $800 which puts you only a couple hundred under the upgraded chip with similar specs. That considered you may as well get the M1 Max setup which comes with a 1tb drive, 32gb of RAM and a 32 core gpu.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Mac people, 

I just wanted to jump in and say that I was running CA on my 2019 14" MacBook Pro - Apple M1 Max with 64GB memory and 2 TB Storage... and it worked great for everything I needed.   I don't use RTRT.  I've been using X13.  

That laptop was stolen last week, and since it would take me 2 weeks to get a fully spec'd one shipped, I bought an interim laptop to use while I waited.  I figured it was a good time to try out the new MacBook Airs which are quite a bit cheaper and have great specs!  I got a 2022 MacBook Air - M2 - 8 GB Memory with 500 GB Storage off the shelf.... to my surprise, it works GREAT... no issues that I've noticed!  I mean, I'll be happier when the one I ordered when it arrives, but I think this would be totally sufficient for client meetings, etc.  

Hope that's helpful!

Cheers, Talitha 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

I too am looking to upgrade my 5-yr old Win 10 PC that I built from scratch. It's worked great, but the new Mac Studios are too cool. Just waiting for the Mac Pro (new version) to come out perhaps Q1 2023, then decide which one will be good to go for next 5-yrs? Was looking into building a water-cooled system with AMD chipset, but I'm getting done with the Windows platform. Looking forward to reading more comments from the Mac users in X13 and 14!

Cheers!

CA seems very stable now on my MBP (M1Max)

The only issue is I operate it in clamshell, connected through a cal digit hub to (2) different resolution monitors; one an ultra widescreen (Dell 34") and the other a 4K 43".  Randomly the tool bar icons disappear.  If I readjust the width of the tool menu window on the left, some of the tools come back to the top, but not in the same location/order that they were prior to the disappearance.

Sometimes I have font issues when working with windows created files.  I just make sure I have the main windows fonts installed on my mac.

I have no need for real-time ray tracing so apple works fine.  I have a 3080 TI in my windows desktop and since I don't get asked to provide 3D for permit, it's not high on my learning list.

The studio seems like a beast.......enjoy!

• 1 month later...