New Mac computer

tomm11

I have the latest M1 MAX fully spec'd laptop.  Chief Architect randomly crashes.  Everything else works as expected.  

The Studio should be pretty amazing for anything you might want to do, especially if you get the M1 ultra.  I can't say I've noticed any performance increase with CA, however.  The daily intermittent crashes have me looking at other design suites.

1 hour ago, para-CAD said:

I have the latest M1 MAX fully spec'd laptop.  Chief Architect randomly crashes.  Everything else works as expected.  

The Studio should be pretty amazing for anything you might want to do, especially if you get the M1 ultra.  I can't say I've noticed any performance increase with CA, however.  The daily intermittent crashes have me looking at other design suites.

Hang on...X14 is coming. I'm hoping Chief has X14 dialed in for the MAC with this release. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Chief Architect X14 runs directly on Apple M1 ARM processors without the Rosetta emulator.  As a result, there is approximately a 20% performance improvement when you take a 3D view, generate elevations or other tasks.  X14 is in beta now – if you’re interested send an email to beta @  chiefarchitect.com 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, scottharris said:

Chief Architect X14 runs directly on Apple M1 ARM processors without the Rosetta emulator.  As a result, there is approximately a 20% performance improvement when you take a 3D view, generate elevations or other tasks.  X14 is in beta now – if you’re interested send an email to beta @  chiefarchitect.com 

This is great news! With that said, I just purchased a new MacBook Pro and I have been shocked at how well CA runs. The one area that could use improvement is elevations, but I've been pretty impressed with 3D views. They are comparable to my main rig with a 3070 card.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 9:34 PM, scottharris said:

Does this mean M1 will run RTRT?

8 minutes ago, Steve-C said:

Let me be the first to say I never really use it, even on my Windows machine.

Thank you for that. I've wondered about the real value of RTRT and have been holding off on a new Mac. I can't run X13 because I'm still at Mojave so that I don't have to shitcan my Photoshop CS6 and resign my life to a monthly payment to Adobe.

I think now I'll go with a Mac Studio and keep my old MacBook Pro with Mojave just to run PS CS6.

Ray tracing wasn't a very important part of my workflow before. I don't really see that changing.

I spent WAY too much money last year to get a 3080 Ti from Micro Center just to try it out.  It's not something that benefits my plans-for-permit business.  I'm sure its great for sales people, but my clients are mostly builders looking for plans that work and get through the permit office as prescriptive as possible.

I just want a stable app that doesn't crash at random times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, para-CAD said:

I spent WAY too much money last year to get a 3080 Ti from Micro Center just to try it out.  It's not something that benefits my plans-for-permit business.  I'm sure its great for sales people, but my clients are mostly builders looking for plans that work and get through the permit office as prescriptive as possible.

I just want a stable app that doesn't crash at random times.

Same here. On a side note, I have not had any issue with crashing. I'm running the baseline MacBook pro 16" with the M1 pro chip. I have it hooked up to two 32" monitors and it runs like a champ. What's crazy is I can do that for hours on battery power and it barely gets warm. It's light years better than the last generation MBP which would not even run an external monitor without the power source plugged in and would scream bloody murder with two monitors.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, scottharris said:

Macs will not have RTRT.  It’s video card acceleration is still an issue.

Is this true with new ultra chip? As I understand it, It was announced at the studio product line launch that a competitor product had developed their product to natively run on the arm technology AND it supposedly has rtrt working with the ultra chip…

23 mins.  

I was using the file drop down menu to see what framing options are located and where.......SEH CRASH.  

No 3D open at all.  Just a plan file.

I am streaming Spotify.  Who knows.

I have my mac connected to an ultra wide single monitor.

I just started using the Caldigits TS4 dock and hub.  Crashes started before that.

Now I have to turn 90 degrees to my other desk and try to work on my windows machine.

Oh.....and random "x" temporary marks have populated in various locations on the plan.......1 every few minutes.......I'm not intentionally doing that.

5 hours ago, para-CAD said:

Oh.....and random "x" temporary marks have populated in various locations on the plan.......1 every few minutes.......I'm not intentionally doing that.

Preferences>Architectural>Roofs>Automatically Place Roof Intersection Points

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2022 at 2:28 PM, Steve-C said:

Same here. On a side note, I have not had any issue with crashing. I'm running the baseline MacBook pro 16" with the M1 pro chip. I have it hooked up to two 32" monitors and it runs like a champ. What's crazy is I can do that for hours on battery power and it barely gets warm. It's light years better than the last generation MBP which would not even run an external monitor without the power source plugged in and would scream bloody murder with two monitors.

Looking at monitor options for my studio I ordered.  Are you running twin 4K 32” monitors?  Do you like the 4K for everything?

7 minutes ago, para-CAD said:

Another random mac problem. This just happened.  Tool bar icons just vanish......

I guess I will try to work on the windows machine...............this kind of distraction really blows.

CleanShot 2022-03-28 at 14.45.17.png

That is an old issue with x12 that was cleared up in x13.  Are you using the latest patch?  The old issue was with having two monitors of different resolutions and sizes with the Aldo PB and LB undocked.

On 3/27/2022 at 11:06 PM, rgardner said:

Looking at monitor options for my studio I ordered.  Are you running twin 4K 32” monitors?  Do you like the 4K for everything?

I'm actually running twin 2.5k Ben-Q monitors. They seem to be less taxing on the graphics performance of the systems I've used over the years. 

(macOS) My current set up is (1) 34" ultra wide and the MBP closed (clamshell).  I used to use a 43" but it was blocking my view outside.

(win 11) Now, the 3080 windows machine has the 43" plus a 27" in portrait mode and it works okay.  It chief crashes much less than the mac does.