Micro Print Font Compatible with Chief ?

Chopsaw

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

Not sure why you would need to do such a thing in Chief, but try increasing your DPI.

Yea Thanks.  That is the technical issue it seems but my issue is that I have a 4.5MB PDF from a Civil Engineer that I need to put a few notes on and if I send it back at 600dpi (which still does not work but is trending the right way) then the file ends up being 127MB recreated in chief.

That is a recipe for someone like that to have a good laugh and ignore my work all together not to mention Chief's reputation.

I will try going higher and then dumb it back down with another utility but this is 20 year old technology that should not be an issue for Chief.

22 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Not sure why you would need to do such a thing in Chief

Firstly Chief is my favorite software for such things and I have a link that is about 250 characters long that I would like to hot link since not many people are willing to copy or even paste a link like that when the technology exists to click a hotlink but I have a limited sized space to place it that would make any sense for the application.

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Firstly Chief is my favorite software for such things and I have a link that is about 250 characters long that I would like to hot link since not many people are willing to copy or even paste a link like that when the technology exists to click a hotlink but I have a limited sized space to place it that would make any sense for the application.

Does it really matter if you can't read it then?  And can't you just change the link text anyway?  Also, why not just add the text in your PDF editor?  I feel like you're expecting Chief to do something extremely unusual and making it sound like its somehow totally shocking that Chief doesn't handle it super well.  Never once in my 20 years of typing up construction related documents have I seen or needed .25mm text. 

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Does it really matter if you can't read it then? No not really but it needs to be read by Adobe.  And can't you just change the link text anyway? Is that even possible in Chief other than in plan or layout ?  Also, why not just add the text in your PDF editor? Sure but not much fun doing that for every little revision over and over again when the link is not changing. I feel like you're expecting Chief to do something extremely unusual and making it sound like its somehow totally shocking that Chief doesn't handle it super well.  Never once in my 20 years of typing up construction related documents have I seen or needed .25mm text. I would not call it extremely unusual since this will never be printed and it is not an issue to zoom in on a digital document and in this instance this detail is not required until you zoom in anyway.  

@Chopsaw Hey does the attached PDF do what you want. Did this in Bluebeam-created text box, edit action, paste link string, add to my tool chest. Click anywhere to add the link . NOTE the links only work once you download and open in PDF program, they don't work when opening it on the Chief site in browser.

Bluebeam has a trial version that last I knew (a while ago so could changed) is fully functional for 30 days. If not and you get me the pdf and info I can add these for you.

Pages from grandview.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

@Chopsaw Hey does the attached PDF do what you want.

No not actually.  I did not realize I was asking such a corker of a question.  I found 5 "Follow This Link" in your PDF however Adobe Reader only recognizes those as text.

The engineer I am preparing this for may well have Bluebeam but at this point I am not in a position to ask.  I have a link that is 10 times longer than I am normally dealing with and want to disclose the full string but have it as a hot link and I guess this is just the perfect storm because I have a very limited space to put it into as this is not my original work.

I was experimenting with some of Michaels suggestions and found that Adobe will not recognize a broken text string for a link but frustratingly it will recognize corrupt segments of it.

After about 4 hours I got it to work but that sort of thing really takes a toll when you expect it should take less than a minute.

14 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Does it really matter if you can't read it then? No not really but it needs to be read by Adobe. 

Then what's the problem with the jumbled looking text? 

14 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

And can't you just change the link text anyway? Is that even possible in Chief other than in plan or layout ?

No, but neither is your idea of inserting a "hot link".  At least not that I'm aware of.  Are you saying that you're somehow using Chief to produce a PDF that contains a clickable link?

By the way,  if you use Rich Text instead of normal text, I think you may reduce or even completely eliminate the tracking/kerning issues.  You might also consider using a font like Bahnschrift Light Condensed or similar which may allow for increasing the font height since it takes up quite a bit less horizontal space than Arial would.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:
15 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Does it really matter if you can't read it then? No not really but it needs to be read by Adobe. 

Then what's the problem with the jumbled looking text? 

15 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

And can't you just change the link text anyway? Is that even possible in Chief other than in plan or layout ?

No, but neither is your idea of inserting a "hot link".  At least not that I'm aware of.  Are you saying that you're somehow using Chief to produce a PDF that contains a clickable link?

No as far as I am aware chief itself is not capable of transferring a hotlink to PDF however Adobe will recognize any properly formatted text in a PDF as long as it is all in one line and provide the clickable link.

29 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

By the way,  if you use Rich Text instead of normal text, I think you may reduce or even completely eliminate the tracking/kerning issues.  You might also consider using a font like Bahnschrift Light Condensed or similar which may allow for increasing the font height since it takes up quite a bit less horizontal space than Arial would.

There is something you won't find in the manual.  I will give that a try but was originally thinking that the standard text that I don't normally use would help me out by providing the link in plan for my reference but now I see that may have lead me away from a workable solution.  Thanks.

6 minutes ago, BrownTiger said:

Have you tried some of the monospaced fonts: Courier, Lucida Console, Menlo, Monaco, Consolas, Inconsolata and Source Code Pro, etc...

No but I will.   Still working on a solution with everyone's advice and getting closer.

I think I am hitting some limits with Adobe though.  Preliminary  analysis is that the auto recognition with Adobe Reader and Acrobat seems to have a limit of 5 commas and will not accept 6 in a website link.  Also even an applied link in Acrobat Pro seems to have a character limit of somewhere around 250 but have not counted exactly yet.