Custom Door Shape

Rataridicta

Go to solution Solved by Joe_Carrick,

In one of my plans I want to create a shower cabinet of non-standard shape. (As seen below)

62eee9f9d3.jpg

Now, I want to start the door on the right parts of the slab in order to have a wide enough passage way. To make it all appealing however, I want to make a door that actually looks like a door and is preferably hing-able.

f5cf06384b.png

So; does anyone here know how to make a custom (hingable) door, that is straight for about half of its length and arched for the other half?

I am not sure what you mean by "offset"?

By offsetting a line you create a parallel line which is the same distance to the original line/shape at every point. For example; I'm currently making the door shape from a top down view and hand drafting it which of course is inefficient and un-precise. I would like the door to be a fixed 8mm in the drawing, just like it would be in reality.

By offsetting a line you create a parallel line which is the same distance to the original line/shape at every point. For example; I'm currently making the door shape from a top down view and hand drafting it which of course is inefficient and un-precise. I would like the door to be a fixed 8mm in the drawing, just like it would be in reality.

Chief doesn't have a command for quickly offsetting a line or arc - you'll need to draw the offset manually.

As Alan mentioned, any shape can be turned into a symbol, including a door symbol - but Chief doesn't allow inserting doors into wall corners. I believe you'll need to build the shower walls and doors using Chief's other tools, such as poly-line solids, primitives, soffits, etc. - or create what you need in another program and import it into Chief.

• Solution

It will be much better if you learn how to create a Symbol.  Basically, chief allow you to put together any combination of 3D objects in a blank plan - then display it in a 3D View and "Convert to Symbol".  There are a lot of options in that tool so that the resulting symbol will function as an intelligent object (door, window, cabinet door, furniture, appliance, etc.)

These symbols can be named in your user library so that you can easily retrieve them for future use.

Some of the 3D tools you can use to assemble a complex symbol are:

1.  Primitive Solids (Box, Cylinder, Sphere, Cone, Pyramid, Truncated Pyramid, Face)

2.  Polyline Solids

3.  Soffits

4.  Slabs

5.  Molding Polylines

Really, anything in Chief that can be displayed in 3D can be used to build a complex 3D Symbol.  The Symbol will automatically have a 2D Block that will be shown in the Plan View.  Materials can be assigned to any part of such symbols and they will be a part of the symbol in the Library.

Doing everything in CAD as you've been attempting is way to much work.  Learn to use the Library and Symbol Creation and you will quickly be miles ahead of where you are now.