Best GPU besides RTX3080?

vikiw_bend

I went to amazon and put in MSI Gaming Trio 3080 - they have it in stock.   (so does newegg - not a fan and B&H) The MSI trio is one of the quietest of the 3080 video cards on the market.   The processing power requires a good deal of cooling so they can be loud to people who didn't have a dedicated video card in the past - as a result, I'd recommend getting the quietest one you can - the strix isn't a bad choice either.   Your question was which will do as good of a job - a 3070 ti will be close in performance.

Rumors keep coming that video cards will be in stock soon and prices will go down - only problem is they've been saying that for 2 months and so far no joy.

Please be aware if you are adding it to an existing computer, you should have at least a 750 watt power supply.   Also be aware they are very long so make sure you have space in your case if you want some junk in your trunk.   Chances are the card will be a smidge over a foot in length.

You could get a liquid cooled one but the pumps usually offset the noise difference plus you have the potential for leaks and maintenance.   Liquid cool makes a great deal of sense if you are overclocking for gaming hower I'm guessing you won't be doing that based on your stated intended purpose.

I don't think it matters much for performance for CA if you get a 10gig or 12gig model (although I'm not 100% sure).

As I think it was mentioned you can do ray tracing without the fancy video card however it does take a long time to process but the resulting image is about the same.

BTW - I noticed you have 1 drive listed as a 1TB drive - if it is a spindle drive, I'd get rid of it - switch it out with a samsung - you can use the included samsung SSD software to duplicate everything on the 1 TB drive and if you have Virtual memory/paging enabled on that drive it will slow you way down even though you may not need it.   That and they are noisy and draw more power than an SSD.

Lastly - I'd expect the 4080 video cards to be released in about 6 months - but who knows how many they will release and the bitcoiners will probably be sleeping in line days in advance to buy every card available.

Sort of related, but, I have an older an older Alienware R17 laptop (about 2 years old), I am not sure which card but it is certainly not a 3000 series. Even if I just have an orthogonal camera view open without PBR the fan starts to hum. With only plan views and layout open it does not kick into high gear. I have a 3080 on my desktop, no issues. Moral of the story, get the 3080 or else.

I have a Dell Precision 7760 I just bought in November.  I was more interested in the 128GB Memory and 4 SSD slots, for VMs and IT Tools.  It has an RTX A4000 that seems to run everything pretty flawlessly including RT.
I am not a gamer or even an architect, so I cant breakdown the diff between 3060s, 3080s and A4000s, but from what I am reading the A Series are more Engineering\Architect focused than the 30XX series gaming cards.  Specifically calls them "Professional" and even states it delivers real time ray tracing...
I think these cards are probably more readily available than the more popular gaming 30XX cards...

RTX A4000 Graphics Card | NVIDIA
"

NVIDIA RTX A4000 GRAPHICS CARD

Sleek Design. Powerful Performance.

The NVIDIA RTX A4000 is the most powerful single-slot GPU for professionals, delivering real-time ray tracing, AI-accelerated compute, and high-performance graphics to your desktop. Engineer next-generation products, design cityscapes of the future, and create immersive entertainment experiences with a solution that fits into a wide range of systems so you can work without limits.

Newegg and Amazon both have them in stock for PC builds....

JSnell

I'm going to guess based on specs the A4000 will be louder but compable in performance to an overclocked 3060 or low end 3070- due to the thinner cooling fan.

3080    - 9860 cuda cores, 272 tensor cores , 68 RT cores, Tensor performance 238 tflops

A4000 - 6144 cuda cores, 192 tensor cores, 48 RT cores, Tensor performance 153 tflops

30 minutes ago, bdillard1 said:

I'm going to guess based on specs the A4000 will be louder but compable in performance to an overclocked 3060 or low end 3070- due to the thinner cooling fan.

3080    - 9860 cuda cores, 272 tensor cores , 68 RT cores, Tensor performance 238 tflops

A4000 - 6144 cuda cores, 192 tensor cores, 48 RT cores, Tensor performance 153 tflops

Google some benchmarks.  The A Series cards are designed for Archs\Eng.

For what it's worth I literally NEVER hear my fans in my laptop.

From what I've been reading over the last hour or so, I'm not really understanding the desire for gaming video cards and not cards specifically designed for Archs\Engineers and Media Creators?

If this was my field, I think I would be all over the A Series cards and let the miners and gamers fight for the 30XX series cards.

JSnell

It would be difficult to get CA benchmarks but if you have them, it would be awesome to have those posted.    I believe the A4000 would be more likely in stock as you said so that would be fantatstic.  I'd be thrilled if the A4000 is as fast or faster than the 3080 for CA.   Please remember Autocad is not the same nor is a 3d benchmark nor is even a call of duty benchmark - CA is the one I couldn't find benchmarks for with either card.

Either way I doubt it will be that dramatic of a difference - if a render takes the 3080 10 seconds (based on speficiations set for the render) I'd guess the A4000 would be close to 14-15 seconds at most for that same render - that is just a guess as I don't have both cards for comparison.   I don't know if that is enough to concern many people if the A4000 is cheaper.

The A4000 is 47DB and the MSI TRio is 34db - that isn't a guess - that is verifiable on the web.    32DB is about the sound level of a whisper and 47db is about the sound level of a heavy rainfall.   I have extremely good hearing so to me that is a big difference but to someone who isn't disturbed by noise that wouldn't be worth paying for based on noise alone.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/dominic-moass/msi-rtx-3070-gaming-x-trio-review/21/

12 hours ago, 65Shelby said:

From what I've been reading over the last hour or so, I'm not really understanding the desire for gaming video cards and not cards specifically designed for Archs\Engineers and Media Creators?  If this was my field, I think I would be all over the A Series cards and let the miners and gamers fight for the 30XX series cards. JSnell

Chief has always recommended the Nvidia Gaming Cards as it can't / doesn't take advantage of the extra Hardware ( eg precision units) that Engineering Programs can and do use or Programs Like Blender etc. The Older Quadro Nvidia cards in the same Series as your A4000 were much more expensive than a gaming card in the past so there was no sense in paying for them unless you also used other Apps/Programs that could use the extra Hardware.

The A4000 is a slot powered GPU for smaller Computers like SFF Builds , so can't pull the power needed to operate like a 3080 or 3080Ti and is more on the level of a 3070 ( or 2080 Super ) perhaps a 3060ti from what I have read so far, but maybe working hard (fan noise) to achieve that, but since Chief isn't anywhere near a Modern AA Title Game as far as pushing the GPU, I'd think it would be okay if not a Gamer as well and there are quite a few here with 3060's who are happy. 

M. 

For me the answer was a 3070.

When I had each of my machines built I had a choice of a full range of cards (except Ti which were not out then), first in the 2000s on the laptop and later the 3000s on the DT. I picked the xx70 for balance of performance, heat and noise. I also ran X13 on a laptop with a 6700k and GTX 980m w. 8GB. Been fine on all of them, just faster RTRT on the 3070 than the 2070s.

I do enough RTRT to warrant jumping to the 3070 which is why I got the DT. I evaluated the time saved with Chiefs posted times for cards against actual times I had with the 2070s. A 3060 wasn't a sufficient jump for me though as Kbird notes plenty of folks on the forum are happy with theirs. Also for me, a 3080 or 90 didn't have the cost to time savings per year to be worth it  while the heat and noise were higher than I wanted.

Noise-I purposely was aiming for a (nearly) silent machine. The DT is right on the desk at ear height, 2 ft from my head. If there is nothing making any noise I can strain to hear a very slight barely perceptible low rumble all the time but never changes. There is no perceptible increase in noise when running RTRTs, often with 2 or 3 open. Temperature all around is always well within limits.

(I have "cap live samples" checked "use raytracing" unchecked in defaults turn on as needed, and set material defaults to show standard view instead of RT; seems to help? YMMV)

Ti cards-From what I see a lot of the cost of Ti cards is an increase in VRAM. I've never seen any of my cards use more than 6GB of VRAM so not sold on the extra cost. Maybe the 3060Ti.

Note that Dell shortens the GPUs on the AW machines which means that extra GPU cooling may be a good idea?

FWIW I ran Dell Precision machines with Quadro cards for several years but switched shortly after I began using Chief to gaming machines; not looking back.

4000 series cards due in the fall look really interesting BUT the power consumption is way up. I haven't seen heat or noise yet and it appears they will benefit from a PCIE 5 MOBO for the power supply. Which may mean it might be best to just build a new machine, will wait and see, but likely staying where I am for a while. (don't scratch stuff that don't itch.)

17 hours ago, vikiw_bend said:

Since the NVidia RTX3080 or 3080TI is almost impossible to buy, which of the other RTX30** GPUs will do as good or nearly as good a job?

In answering the OP, Viki asked about alternatives to the 3080.  I will restate as this seems to have gone off topic.

I have an A4000 in a laptop.  I cannot address the decibels claimed on Workstation cards, as I literally dont hear my laptop... ever.  It sits right in front of me closed.  And I suffer from Misophonia, (look it up, it sucks to have).

As for this being designed for a SFF, thats not true.  Its a standard height card and wont fit in an SFF and, again, nVidia says in their press release its for "workstations'.
Comparing the A4000 to the top RTX 3080 is not a fair comparison.  As stated above its a single slot GPU and the dual slotted,3080\90\Ti class is basically top shelf (currently).  If one wanted to draw an apples to apples showdown, then you would have to look at the top A6000 dual slot GPU...

All I was trying to state is, as an owner and user of the A4000, its flawless, I have both HDS (purchased), CA 13 trial, running while remoting into multiple servers, Outlook, browsers, Pandora and a slough of other background apps running.  No overheating, no fan noise and I can render RT and make stupid little movies with breeze.

Viki, I would highly recommend the A4000.  Remember, higher numbers dont always translate to 'best'.  A top benchmarked gaming GPU may not be best suited for C\A\E design.  In lay terms... (Cuz Im a car guy), you can have 650HP Corvette, but you arent going to use it to pull your boat...  The A Class series GPUs seem to be specifically designed for this field.
JSnell

I appreciate all the input, folks, although some of the computer tech is floating right over my head. My desktop is five years old, maybe it's time to buy a new computer that already has the 3080 in it. I haven't even checked to see if the RTX3080 will fit. My current desktop was locally built, and I like to support local, but I wonder if the small local shops have any better access to top-end GPUs than an individual would. I haven't looked hard at the A series, and since CA recommends the RTX 30 series, that's probably what I'll stick with. Funny - when I had this desktop built, I thought it would be my last computer until retirement. Hahahaha. Both about the computer and about retirement.

3 minutes ago, vikiw_bend said:

Funny - when I had this desktop built, I thought it would be my last computer until retirement. Hahahaha. Both about the computer and about retirement.

Um, uh, yeah-me too. First the laptop, then the DT.

If I had what you have and could wait until late fall I would before building new or even upgrading. Just use regular PBR or CPU based RT until then. (I'm hoping not to be building another but then who knows...:)

I had mine built by AVA Direct and had (has) a full range of GPU choices. I talked with a sales guy to find out which parts of what I wanted had the best availability (IOW in stock) so got my machine in their normal build time of 6 weeks (including burn in and testing). The total was cheaper than parts would have cost me. I see on their site that GPU upcharges have dropped since then too.

As to Quadro, i.e. workstation cards, this from Chief website.

Video Card (GPU): Also referred to as the Graphics Card or Graphics Processing Unit (GPU), this is the part of your computer that produces the image you see on your screen.  Since Chief Architect is a graphics intensive program, the graphics card is an extremely important part of the computer for day-to-day design work. There are a few types of Video Cards: integrated, workstation, and gaming. While some integrated (Intel) and workstation cards will work with the software, it may run slower since integrated (Intel) cards share computer resources from the CPU and RAM and workstation cards don’t perform well when doing 3D rendering in Chief. Gaming video cards do not share computer resources and are designed specifically for 3D rendering tasks used in Chief Architect. For best performance, we recommend a gaming class video card with 4GB+ or more of video memory on a Mac, and on a Windows PC NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX series or AMD

22 minutes ago, vikiw_bend said:

I appreciate all the input, folks, although some of the computer tech is floating right over my head. My desktop is five years old, maybe it's time to buy a new computer that already has the 3080 in it. I haven't even checked to see if the RTX3080 will fit. My current desktop was locally built, and I like to support local, but I wonder if the small local shops have any better access to top-end GPUs than an individual would. I haven't looked hard at the A series, and since CA recommends the RTX 30 series, that's probably what I'll stick with. Funny - when I had this desktop built, I thought it would be my last computer until retirement. Hahahaha. Both about the computer and about retirement.

You current specs are not bad - you could replace the hard drive $120, power supply $125, case $85 and the video card $1700.    If you want a particular card PM me and I'll send you a link to places on amazon or B&H that have the best one in stock.   You can bring the parts to your local tech person and they can switch them out for you.    I'd recommend getting matching sized monitors in the largest size you have space for on your desk.   Matching ones will have the same height, resolution so dragging and moving is nicer - just make sure they are adjustable height - for some reason not all monitors are adjustable height and they'll really help you keep your neck comfy.

If you do decide to build a new one, I would recommend waiting until the new processors come out.  AMD is making a big leap in their next processor and Intel will refine the new model processor in a short while.   OH - and avoid Windows 11 for now.  They'll probably get it worked out in about 6 months but right now it has too many glitches.

As you said the video card is going to benefit you most though.

I don't know squat about CA but computers are my thing.

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2022 at 10:37 PM, 65Shelby said:

Google some benchmarks.  The A Series cards are designed for Archs\Eng.

For what it's worth I literally NEVER hear my fans in my laptop.

From what I've been reading over the last hour or so, I'm not really understanding the desire for gaming video cards and not cards specifically designed for Archs\Engineers and Media Creators?

If this was my field, I think I would be all over the A Series cards and let the miners and gamers fight for the 30XX series cards.

JSnell

So I have been reading your post on the A Series cards. I am buying a new laptop to run AutoCad and Chief Architect because CA x15(2024) will not work with my old laptop (I was on x11) My budget is $1700-$2200. Will the A4000 be a good choice and also any thoughts on other must haves in the laptop to make it a complete rock solid setup to run these programs? Memory, GB's etc... I really want the PBR RT to run well.