Realtime Ray-Trace Cannot see out windows

Ryan_McAllen

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

Hey folks,

I've recently made the upgrade to x13 and have been enjoying the increased speed and functionality of the realtime Ray-tracing. The only issue I'm running into is that I cannot see items like plants when they are outside the windows. If I open the door, or I change the material to a general material and make it transparent I can see through, but it also looks less realistic when I do.

I'm wondering what I might be doing wrong or if there is a setting with plants I can change that lets me see them because I as per the photo I have attached you can still see most objects outside the window such as the pool and other building in the design. On the left is the view through the window, on the right is cut through the glass showing what is actually out there.

Can anyone help me out and point a fella in the right direction?

Render Issue Sample1.jpg

It would be like playing 20 questions trying to diagnose from a single image, it's better that you upload a small test plan

( 25mb max) done from the default residential Template , this will also tell you if it is a fault in your template perhaps too.

M.

Hey Kbird1,

Thank you for your time and patience. I've attached a sample file and a camera shot saved for further reference in here as well. I seem to be able to view the terrain perimeter and whatever backdrop I've chosen in the camera view, as well as structures but for some reason plants like trees just don't appear when you look through a window, and don't reflect as well. I'm assuming it's got something to do with refraction in ray trace views because if you change all the glass to general materials and make them transparent you can see through, it just comes out looking a bit flat and seems like an odd solution to the problem.

Thank you again.

1326352966_SamplePlan1.plan

• Solution
1 hour ago, Ryan_McAllen said:

Hey Kbird1,

Thank you for your time and patience. I've attached a sample file and a camera shot saved for further reference in here as well.

Hi, your sample plan isn't really per how Chief would work as technically you are standing outside looking at a single wall...... which

for a 3D lighting Engine is a whole different ballgame......  so normally I'd build build a 20'x30' house with roof and monoslab

foundation and add  some lighting (cans) and more Windows for a true to life representation........

As Rene pointed out use 3D Trees not Tree Images from the Library.

Turning Off Refraction in RTRT will take way the glass Reflections so you can see through to the vegetation......

Also if using RTRT make sure you let it run enough Samples so that the Glass isn't pixelated too ( perhaps 2500 is where i usually Cap my samples )

*** I see the new  Forum file size Limit is 14mb now..... so I can't repost the file with the 20x30 house.

Mick.

image.thumb.png.5dba96f60b5818da3063caaf8f3a06e8.png             image.thumb.png.4494e79e8b669aae2efd5ce780435637.png

3 hours ago, Ryan_McAllen said:

I'll give this a shot. Guess I better find some 3D trees. Thank you for your time and assistance. This is very much appreciated!

Sounds like you haven't downloaded ALL of Chief's (Free) Libraries yet......  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/3d-library/index.php?r=site/detail/795

Full X13 Library

Mick.