Gap between walls and ceiling

kropaske

Hi Guys,

First post and new user here.

Have been practicing with CA for little while now and seen tons of very useful videos on CA website and this forum which sorted many of my problems, however not all. So i would like to ask for bit of guidance:

1. My external walls does not meet ceiling of first floor, also in the room above garage there is bit of the gap where wall meet ceiling (pic below). I have playing a bit with various settings but cant figure it out.

2. There are 2 corner windows each made from 1 double casement and 1 fixed glass. There is weird long black line along the fixed glass section on both. The line disappear if both section are fixed glass or both double casement. Line is on Walls, normal and windows layer 

3. What's the best approach to extend room moldings in to the door reveals, and have floor up to the door and sill on the outside? Is it just polyline and draw for individual window/door? I've tried with specifications box but without success.

I am on CA X12

Many thanks

2.png

1.png

Test house.plan

• Downvote 2

Have a look at the attached plan your exterior walls need to be setup like in real world also the interior layer is the main layer  i reset the main layer so it has altered your exterior size so perhaps use your model and reset so you can see what is going on 

the gap on that interior wall not sure these guys here will know i am sure

1527905163_Testhouse mark change.plan

I would venture to say based on that working that your rooms are not set to correct heights and you placed manual roofs.  Chief works with rooms.  The roof is contained at the top of the room and the floor at the bottom.  

If you want your ceiling to start at 10' tall your room needs to have a ceiling height at 10' (even if you are going to use a vaulted ceiling instead of a flat ceiling.

My recommendation would be to select ALL of your walls, open them as one and reselect DEFAULT Wall top and bottom heights at the top of the Structural panel of the DBX that opens for the walls.  Then set your rooms to the heights you want by opening the room DBX and setting the rough or finish ceiling height you want to start the ceiling at (outside height).

Hope that helps.  And BTW there is a very big reason why Eric or @solver sent you that message asking you to fill in your signature.  This information that I just spent time typing out for you is quite possibly not valid depending on what program you are using.  We get a lot of users for Home Designer pro or the Home Designer line of products asking questions here thinking that it is the same software which it is not!  There is a valid reason why hometalk exists for those users because many of the tools have to be used differently for those programs.  So if that was you who gave a downvote to Eric asking you to setup your signature so we can tell and not spend time answering something if it won't help I recommend that you reconsider his suggestion for what it was.  He was, Trying to help..

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, rgardner said:

My recommendation would be to select ALL of your walls, open them as one and reselect DEFAULT Wall top and bottom heights at the top of the Structural panel of the DBX that opens for the walls.  Then set your rooms to the heights you want by opening the room DBX and setting the rough or finish ceiling height you want to start the ceiling at (outside height).

An easy way to do this is by using Reset To Defaults...

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, rgardner said:

I would venture to say based on that working that your rooms are not set to correct heights and you placed manual roofs.

Thanks for your comment, perhaps i have some heights incorrectly set, i will look in to it, but roofs has been build automatically. Building them manually gave the same effect

Tried that however it did not change anything in my case

So if that was you who gave a downvote to Eric asking you to setup your signature so we can tell and not spend time answering something if it won't help I recommend that you reconsider his suggestion for what it was.  He was, Trying to help..

I understand downvote/upvote are the same as like/dislike or agree/disagree on other forums and no i did not give downvote/upvote to anyone. I am sure Solver message meant to be helpful and welcoming but i did not found it that way.

2 hours ago, kropaske said:

Thanks for your comment, perhaps i have some heights incorrectly set, i will look in to it, but roofs has been build automatically. Building them manually gave the same effect

Tried that however it did not change anything in my case

I understand downvote/upvote are the same as like/dislike or agree/disagree on other forums and no i did not give downvote/upvote to anyone. I am sure Solver message meant to be helpful and welcoming but i did not found it that way.

In your case after opening the file I found the following.

1.) Auto Roofs was not fully used. Perhaps you did at the beginning but then you turned them off and adjusted them.  Once you have turned them off then they will not move unless you manually do so.  Hint you change the wall settings for the roof to gable, hip, high shed/gable, etc.  as well as your overhangs, etc.

2.) Room settings were all manually changed from your defaults you set for the floor instead of just changing the default.

3.) The biggest issue was the wall definition as you had two materials in your main layer.  And the majority of your walls were manually adjusted.  The issue with using this technique instead of changing your room settings is that it will not fill in when you do things like place the roof as it thinks it shouldn't move from where you manually adjusted it to.

See the attached pix and see if it helps you accomplish what you want.

image.thumb.png.cb2918965126eed811d8f0a095760dd8.pngimage.thumb.png.b1515eab6dfcb8e8bf96b3ccbe20aded.pngimage.thumb.png.8e78310d8047bc01b98fd0df1d84574a.pngimage.thumb.png.a6100b9a9c5912b8343443b14ab65405.pngimage.thumb.png.f8a3270155e2c895a8648cf549701aac.png

16 hours ago, glennw said:

An easy way to do this is by using Reset To Defaults...

Thanks for the tip Glenn, never used that option before.  Didn't realize it was a selective option.  #Alwayslearningwithchief!

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

In your case after opening the file I found the following.

1.) Auto Roofs was not fully used. Perhaps you did at the beginning but then you turned them off and adjusted them.  Once you have turned them off then they will not move unless you manually do so.  Hint you change the wall settings for the roof to gable, hip, high shed/gable, etc.  as well as your overhangs, etc.

2.) Room settings were all manually changed from your defaults you set for the floor instead of just changing the default.

3.) The biggest issue was the wall definition as you had two materials in your main layer.  And the majority of your walls were manually adjusted.  The issue with using this technique instead of changing your room settings is that it will not fill in when you do things like place the roof as it thinks it shouldn't move from where you manually adjusted it to.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions. Screenshots will definitely help understand some of the settings. What i will do is reset all back to defaults, alter walls layers correctly and remove all but ground floor walls and start again. It maybe quicker that way as i assume fixing one thing may break another.

I have restricted remote access to the program so wont be able to do it straight away but will try to report back when done