Saving Sections

builtright3

Anybody have any good insite or ideas for saving framing sections so I can use them in new plans with all the settings?

I alway use the cross section and then I have to change it to a framing layer section and then save it to its own layer I created so I have more control over it. It just seems like Im going through a lot of steps and Im not having any luck on finding a video or help on it.

Any thoughts would be apreciated.

Thank You

image.thumb.png.f4fa841f36bca458e34ae12d24e698c6.pngimage.thumb.png.f96ec9dc86ef710cd28bab0960984dc5.png

Sure you can save section and elevation cameras in your template plan if you like and you can even keep the layout link if you really want to save time.  Works great if you do a lot of back to back projects that as somewhat similar.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Sure you can save section and elevation cameras in your template plan if you like and you can even keep the layout link if you really want to save time.  Works great if you do a lot of back to back projects that as somewhat similar.

Yes 90% of the jobs that I do are the same.

So do I just unckeck SAVED CAMERAS when I save the template?
What do you mean by save the layout link?

image.png.1e2bb799cdca78103143e43b14311263.png

18 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Try making a Cross Section, Framing Layerset , and assign it as your Default Layerset for Cross Sections if needed or

just switch to it as needed once in the Standard CS View

M.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

The suggestion chopsaw made with saving to template works fine for now and so I really appreciate that. Im gonna have to make some time to figure out how to work the section views along with the layers. Im really confused but this information I think put me in the right direction. If there is a video somewhaere that someone can point me to it would help a lot or I might need to find someone that will do a one on one to show me. Paying for some help is definatley and option if it will save me some time.

Thanks Guys 

1 hour ago, builtright3 said:

Yes 90% of the jobs that I do are the same.

So do I just unckeck SAVED CAMERAS when I save the template?
What do you mean by save the layout link?

Yes I think that will work.  If you have the saved camera in your template plan it should automatically populate your layout if you save the layout box in your layout template.

Unfortunately every single job I do seems to be very different from the pervious one so far, so I have not done that setup in my own templates.

You could PM @Kbird1 though and if he has time he could do some one on one with you since I think he understands that all very well.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes I think that will work.  If you have the saved camera in your template plan it should automatically populate your layout if you save the layout box in your layout template.

Unfortunately every single job I do seems to be very different from the pervious one so far, so I have not done that setup in my own templates.

You could PM @Kbird1 though and if he has time he could do some one on one with you since I think he understands that all very well.

When I open a new plan from Templates the cross section lines appear on the roof plan view. Im assuming that it will need to be linked with my new layout but I dont have a lot of time right now untill I get this plan complete but this gives me a start. I will mess around with it tomorrow some more.

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Hey Joe,

Here's a pretty long winded video hoping to give you an idea or 2 for your template plan and saved section cameras.

Thank you Larry! This video is very helpful.
Im going to review it again this evening when things are settle down and I can concentrate. I'm sure I will have a few questions when I do.

One thing I do that is a little different from you is that I setup my libuary with catagories from every view instead of having so much on the screen. Since they made the Libuary so much better to except text without blocking it first and the upgrade in how the notes work, the Libuary is much more user freindly. I wish we could save section callouts in the libuary with all there layer settings, I think that would be very helpful.

Again, thank you! Very helpful!

I have 10 to 15 saved sections in my template plan and just delete the ones I don't use for that plan. The one's I do use, I just drag into place wherever I want them, big time saver. You will need to save some horiz. and some vertically. vI also save 15 camera views for interior and special views. everything is preset.

BTW, these are all already sent to the layout so I don't need to send them again.

• Upvote 2

Thank you Larry! This video is very helpful.
Im going to review it again this evening when things are settle down and I can concentrate. I'm sure I will have a few questions when I do.

One thing I do that is a little different from you is that I setup my libuary with catagories from every view instead of having so much on the screen. Since they made the Libuary so much better to except text without blocking it first and the upgrade in how the notes work, the Libuary is much more user freindly. I wish we could save section callouts in the libuary with all there layer settings, I think that would be very helpful.

Again, thank you! Very helpful!

55 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I have 10 to 15 saved sections in my template plan and just delete the ones I don't use for that plan. The one's I do use, I just drag into place wherever I want them, big time saver. You will need to save some horiz. and some vertically. vI also save 15 camera views for interior and special views. everything is preset.

BTW, these are all already sent to the layout so I don't need to send them again.

Leads me to another question:
So if you open a plan template and a layout template and you save them, how do you link the two together or is it automatic?
Becasue when you open a layout template, it is reading from the last plan that you saved if from.

• Like 1

Leads me to another question:
So if you open a plan template and a layout template and you save them, how do you link the two together or is it automatic?
Becasue when you open a layout template, it is reading from the last plan that you saved if from.

You need to link the layout to the plan file by going to the layout and opening Tools/layout/referenced plan files and link whatever plan file you want to. Must be done in the layout though not from the plan file.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

You need to link the layout to the plan file by going to the layout and opening Tools/layout/referenced plan files and link whatever plan file you want to. Must be done in the layout though not from the plan file.

I was looking for that and couldn't find it. When I was looking through the menu I was looking for the link symbol or the word "Link". Didnt think plan reference would be it but I guess it makes sense.
Thank you Perry!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2022 at 11:57 PM, HumbleChief said:

Hey Joe,

Here's a pretty long winded video hoping to give you an idea or 2 for your template plan and saved section cameras.

Thanks for this Larry. Very helpful indeed.

Larry,

In the Save As Plan Template dbx that you are aprehensive of checking anything, this may help:

Think of the wording to say "Do Not Include" instead of "Delete All" or "Delete Unused" which sound a bit scary.

This is telling Chief not to include any checked items in the new template plan - Chief is only deleting those items from the new template plan.

It will not make any changes to your existing template plan.

• Upvote 1

I tend to add these(camera views and other things) to my template as opposed to "saving as a template". Just a preference as Im never certain what I have done to a plan through the life of the project,

But I also have 4 walls and a foundation on my template, so this is my starting point per se for my projects.

12 hours ago, glennw said:

Larry,

In the Save As Plan Template dbx that you are aprehensive of checking anything, this may help:

Think of the wording to say "Do Not Include" instead of "Delete All" or "Delete Unused" which sound a bit scary.

This is telling Chief not to include any checked items in the new template plan - Chief is only deleting those items from the new template plan.

It will not make any changes to your existing template plan.

Thanks Glenn and understood. When I create a template I usually want to include most everything as that, to me, is what makes a template a template. Seems weird to me that Chief has, by default, most everything checked to delete when I would have everything, by default, unchecked but perhaps this works better for most users? 

Don't forget that you can now copy cameras between plans.  Very helpful if you're working on a plan that doesn't come from your current template.  I locate all of my plans with reference to the 0,0 point which makes bring section cameras easy.  With copy, past hold position, they come in on grid.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, MoeGia said:

Don't forget that you can now copy cameras between plans.  Very helpful if you're working on a plan that doesn't come from your current template.  I locate all of my plans with reference to the 0,0 point which makes bring section cameras easy.  With copy, past hold position, they come in on grid.

Thanks Maureen, did not know that. Is that new for X14?