What am I doing wrong with the adjust sunlight?

bdillard1

Go to solution Solved by ericepv,

Hello,

I'm sure it is simple but no matter what number I change this to the light through the windows seems the same (BRIGHT)

image.thumb.png.d27cb30182bfee6990ae220b3b1c36a6.png

image.thumb.png.adb22ab42239d640bfe23331f9d46676.png

image.thumb.png.cdeeada7c378c4a892b964432b980648.png

Use sun angle drop down is unavailable as well as edit  - I imagine that is because I haven't selected a plot or the orientation of the house.

image.thumb.png.d93ad0b483b32b32b16667a768bd655c.png

The only thing I can do to make it darker outside is toggle sunlight.

image.thumb.png.c285c1cca1508001d4fc15180ada0e6c.png

Go to 'Rendering Techniques Options' and in the 'Physically Based Rendering' tab (his looks like a PBR) reduce the 'Daytime Backdrop Intensity'. I find that a setting between 200 and 500 works best. Also, make sure your sunlight 'Intensity' (in the 'Adjust Sunlight' DBX) is set for a lower value (usually 5000 - 15,000 works well).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bdillard1 said:

I imagine that is because I haven't selected a plot or the orientation of the house.

It's because you haven't placed a Sun Angle Arrow  (Line Dropdown)  but it's not necessarily needed....unless doing Sun studies.

M.

• Like 1

Just a bit of follow-up no what Eric said about the backdrop intensity.

What I find is that at times it can be helpful to drop the backdrop intensity even below 200 in some circumstances.  No specific recommendation, just lower it a bit and do a test until the image cleans up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ericepv said:

Go to 'Rendering Techniques Options' and in the 'Physically Based Rendering' tab (his looks like a PBR) reduce the 'Daytime Backdrop Intensity'. I find that a setting between 200 and 500 works best. Also, make sure your sunlight 'Intensity' (in the 'Adjust Sunlight' DBX) is set for a lower value (usually 5000 - 15,000 works well).

Thanks - just tried - no difference on mine.  Maybe I missed something.

image.thumb.png.065830022040103459a51000fc8629a4.png

image.thumb.png.0edad9621030face85342905408f2eae.png

• Solution

I made a few adjustments:

Camera settings - Turn off Bloom, Set Ambient Occlusion to 25%, Set lighting for 'Default Light Set'

Rendering Techniques - In Std tab set Ambient to 0. In PBR, set 'Camera Exposure' to .15, 'Daytime backdrop Intensity' to 25.

Nutella.thumb.jpg.d5a155138f84ad85ec11fd310090d796.jpg

This should get you started. From here, you can adjust the lighting, sunlight and shadows and also work on your material properties.

Hope this helps -Eric

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

bdillard1

Do you mind following up on this render to show others what you have found that works best for this particular render?

The reason I ask is that it is this type of situation that can be most helpful to others who are also trying to learn Chief's rendering tools.

For anyone who is struggling with PBR, take a look at this video from the Knowledge base:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2426/physically-based-rendering-technique.html

These videos provide a lot of great tips on how to set up for the best results. The ones on lighting and materials are especially helpful;

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/103/ray-trace.html

• Like 1