Questions about performance change from X10 to X13 upgrade

AvoyeDesign

I am going to be upgrading from X10 to X13 within the next week.  I have a project starting that will feature 3 single family homes, 5-6 vacation cottages and a shop all on one lot being subdivided 3 ways.  The property is owned by a holding company with private owners, and they are hiring me for all the design work.  The biggest feature I will need for this is the ability to use reference sets from other plans.  My plan is to have one chief file for each building and one for the overall site.  There are many other performance features I want as well, not to mention the X14 upgrade that is due soon.

So my question is this:  On a scale from 1-10, my current workstation performs at about an 8 running X10.  It's good enough for now, but I'm wondering if I will see much of a slowdown with a newer release?  I've played around a bit in the trial version with a fairly complex plan, and it seems no worse for wear.  I just don't have time to put in hours doing nothing productive to get a better feel for how my system handles it.

My current setup:

i7 7700K, Z170, GTX 1060 6GB, 32GB, Samsung 512GB M.2, 500GB SATA SSD, LG 32" & 2x 24"

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, AvoyeDesign said:

That 1060 is a champ but it might be retired to my home PC.

Probably be better to invest in a Pre-built with 12th gen CPU etc and a RTX 3000 Series Video Card and perhaps a PCIE 4.0 NVME SSD at this point,

and take the whole old system Home....

M.

Going from 10 to 13 is a pretty serious upgrade. There are definatley features that would help you but if it were me I never make a change just before I go into a big project if I'm on time restraint. You will need time to adjust to the new upgrade.
On the other hand, Im a slow learner and need the time and you may not if your a quick study.

For whatever its worth, thats my thought

On 2/26/2022 at 10:49 AM, Kbird1 said:

Probably be better to invest in a Pre-built with 12th gen CPU etc and a RTX 3000 Series Video Card and perhaps a PCIE 4.0 NVME SSD at this point,

and take the whole old system Home....

M.

I build my own PC's.  And I'm not ready right now to spend money on a new system.  I could get a video card now and later use it in a new build.  I tend to roll my PC's over in parts that way.

On 2/26/2022 at 11:06 AM, builtright3 said:

Going from 10 to 13 is a pretty serious upgrade. There are definatley features that would help you but if it were me I never make a change just before I go into a big project if I'm on time restraint. You will need time to adjust to the new upgrade.
On the other hand, Im a slow learner and need the time and you may not if your a quick study.

For whatever its worth, thats my thought

That's not going to be a problem.  I'm only going to be leaning on X13 for one or two features that will be critical for time saving, and I already have a good handle on how they work from using the demo version.

I also taught myself to use X1 back in the day, and was putting out permit drawings within the 1st week.  I've beta tested a few releases in the years past.  I think I can handle it.

28 minutes ago, AvoyeDesign said:

I build my own PC's.  And I'm not ready right now to spend money on a new system.  I could get a video card now and later use it in a new build.  I tend to roll my PC's over in parts that way.

So do I but currently the cost of a GPU can be almost the same as a whole Prebuilt, certainly no GPUs are MSRP these days,

and since you are still on a 4-5yr old ? Z170 it maybe time anyway...... was just a thought.

M.

On 2/27/2022 at 8:38 PM, Kbird1 said:

So do I but currently the cost of a GPU can be almost the same as a whole Prebuilt, certainly no GPUs are MSRP these days,

and since you are still on a 4-5yr old ? Z170 it maybe time anyway...... was just a thought.

M.

Thanks.  Not ready for full upgrade yet.

Just a word of caution. When I upgraded to X13 I too thought that real time ray tracing was something I could do without but learned quickly that I could not even do a cross section or see library previews with the video card that I had. The only thing that would function was floor plans. No 3d views of any kind, perspective or orthographic. I would download the trial before upgrading to see if you have the same results.

19 hours ago, Bob-Roraback said:

Just a word of caution. When I upgraded to X13 I too thought that real time ray tracing was something I could do without but learned quickly that I could not even do a cross section or see library previews with the video card that I had. The only thing that would function was floor plans. No 3d views of any kind, perspective or orthographic. I would download the trial before upgrading to see if you have the same results.

I have been toying with the trial for almost a year.  No problems with camera views thanks.